Guides?

rover6695

Prince
So I am about to get started with Civ 6 having played Civ 5 for awhile.
I recall on Civ 5 "CarlsGuides" was excellent and really helped me get the hang, any similar resources for a newbie to 6?
Thanks.

I personally spent about two weeks studying the game before actually playing, which was rather annoying.

I think the game is still too new to have a comprehensive guide. If you have a few dozen hours to spend before actually playing, you could read through all the "quick questions and answers" thread. Otherwise, I'd just watch through 2 or 3 Let's Plays on Youtube, preferably by different players.

As another CIv5 deity pro just starting out in this game, my quick tips are:

1.) CIv5 was about tall, narrow empires. This game is about wide, short empires.
2.) It may be a hard pill to swallow, but we were pros at civ5 but new to this game. Even though we always won at deity for every civ game we've played in the past 5 years, we need to move down to king or emperor for a game or two to learn the basics.
3.) In Civ5, science (derived from population derived from FOOD) was the ultimate resource. In CIv6, it's the hammer.

So I am about to get started with Civ 6 having played Civ 5 for awhile.
I recall on Civ 5 "CarlsGuides" was excellent and really helped me get the hang, any similar resources for a newbie to 6?
Thanks.

Not yet, we have to write them ourselves :)

You can learn a lot about the game mechanics/math in various pinned topics. The basic 'hang'/'limit' is the increase of builder & district costs. There are also Amenities, but they are less important this time around.

There are a stack of pinned resources on all aspects of the game on here. What particular info are you after i.e. strategy, mechanics etc?

As an aside there is an official PDF on the web somewhere but CivFanatics will always be better than any official guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a stack of pinned resources on all aspects of the game on here. What particular info are you after i.e. strategy, mechanics etc?

As an aside there is an official PDF on the web somewhere but CivFanatics will always be better than any official guide.

I've played maybe 2 hours so far, so basically I'd like some guidance on how to play the game, overall. It'd be great if there was a guide on how to win with the steps (have 4 cities by x turns, research feeling education, computers) and so fourth.

I'm having trouble figuring out just what to do as my build order, research order, and the policy/civics. We had some awesome guides last game.

As for videos, which youtube would be best for my needs? Thanks.

It'd be great if there was a guide on how to win with the steps
You mean some sort of walk-through? Won't be such a thing. To be honest, I'd just play on an easy level i.e. L2 (Chieftain) and learn in an environment where you're not going to be under pressure i.e. getting attacked. Combine that with reading threads on here and watching YouTube (Quill18, Marbozir etc) you will soon get the drift. However, to get the best out of this sort of game you need to understand the mechanics i.e. what you need to do, and then work out how to do it. Bottom line is don't get too caught up in Victory Conditions, just build from solid foundations and see where it takes you i.e. a few good production cites, get Science/Culture going etc.

A few general tips people always say around here, regardless of victory.
  • Production is the King-Of-All-Yields. Things like districts makes things take much longer to be built, so you may feel a slow down compared to Civ 5. Gold is more plentiful now, but things can get expensive later on.
  • Go wide, in "as wide as you can". A milestone people use is "10 cities in 100 turns". Usually you can go for much more by conquering and founding. Around 20 cities will probably take you to any victory.
  • Early military is good to fend off barbarians and rush the AI. They're much more aggressive than in Civ 5 (arguably, more than the major Civs).
  • Ranged > Melee, as always, but mounted units are much stronger. They take cities better than ranged after walls are up (with the help of siege weapons, of course)
  • Use the policies wisely. Always build units with the bonus production card when possible.
  • Use internal trade routes to boost production and growth in your cities.
  • For CS bonuses, often the cost/benefit of the Suzerain bonuses may not be that good, especially if the AI has been fighting over suzerainty. You may burn too many envoys in one CS and not reap the 3-envoy and 6-envoy benefits of another CS (which can also have a very powerful impact).
  • Don't be afraid to chop woods and harvest some resources. Quarries for example are much inferior to mines, because their upgrades come much later. People seem to prefer woods along rivers for the Lumber mill bonus. More info on that here
  • There are some specific and very useful strategies, such as the Feudalism Wave. I recommend reading the CivFanatics resources and threads on Civ 6 for better information.
For tech beelines, some good ones are:
  • Archery: Archers are very strong early game
  • Currency: unlocks Commercial Hubs, which adds +1 trade route and +1 production to your internal routes to that city)
  • Machinery: unlocks Lumber Mills, which are powerful in woods along rivers
  • Apprenticeship: Unlocks Industrial Zones and gives mines +1 Production
  • Stirrups: Knights are very powerful for their time, go for it if you're warmongering.
For Civic beelines, those are pretty much straightforward, but you may take a few detours here and there (unlocking important districts or policies for a Cultural/Religious game, for example)
  • Political Philosophy: Unlocks first governments, which increases policies
  • Feudalism: Better Builders to develop your cities (by that time the main expansion phase might be over)
  • Second tier governments: Same reasoning as Political Philosophy
  • Mercantilism: A Policy unlocked here gives a powerful gold boost to trade routes
  • Third tier government

Last edited:
Restart a few times to get a good spot,hills are important as production is king.
The game works best played agressively and building a couple of slingers early is a must, barbs are quite agressive initially.get them to archers, the best early troop apart from unique units.
Beeline to commercial districts and place then in all cities. Ignore science, it is not so imoirtant.
For civics beeline the governments then feudalism
If there s a civ close taking it early with 3 archers and a barb is a good way to get strong faster.
Too much to type here but they are key points
Use traders for internal trade routes,trading from a weak city to a strong as well.

EDIT: whoops beaten to the post

I've attached an image that charts district adjacency bonuses. I found it extremely helpful when I started as far as city planning. I take no credit for the image-- it's been floating around reddit and other places.
Cheers

Attachments

• civdistrict.png
    civdistrict.png
    853.3 KB · Views: 173
I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, I think Victoria is implying that you don't want to over-emphasize science in the early game, it's far more important to get your capitol and 2-3 expands up and running production wise as fast as possible. A good base of 4-6 cities early will propel you to any victory condition. And the consensus is early aggression (take out your neighbor) is the easiest way to accomplish this. You can take out cities with as few as 3 archers and your initial warrior, get those up as fast as you can and an early military will also help you control barb spawns and find settle locations.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, I think Victoria is implying that you don't want to over-emphasize science in the early game
Maybe it's just my current play-style. I'm still relatively raw at Civ (210 hrs) and out-teching the opposition makes me feel more secure. Perhaps when I'm more efficient at early game neighbourly clear out I might stop making a Campus a priority.

And there's an issue about district cost too: their cost is tied to the most advanced tree.

Maybe for district placement and construction you'd want to delay a bit some techs (leaving them until 1 turn left) to have time to build districts. Though you can lock-in the cost by just placing them (people seem to take it as an exploit, though, so don't mention it to them)

Your population provides 0.8 science each, compare that to a campus. Do not get me wrong, I often will build a total of 2 campuses and quite early as they get eurekas and great scientists as well as the science boost but many just do not bother and do OK. So do not feel pressured to.
Commercial districts will bring money, food and production with great flexibility in card choices. (Harbors too)
Theaters tend to be built later, even for cultural victories (my speciality).
On higher levels of play you will quickly fall vehind in science and culture. Do not panic, just work natirally and you will catch up by about turn 100-150. The AI is not the best
Nauturally for a science victory you do need campuses aplenty.
Also if you are near some mountain with +3/4 or even more adjacency then sure campuses are great and a doubke adjacency card early will significantly boost that

To me one of the best things about civ6 is there is a lot of situational play. If they can get the AI a bit more feisty they will be on to a winner

You mean some sort of walk-through? Won't be such a thing. To be honest, I'd just play on an easy level i.e. L2 (Chieftain) and learn in an environment where you're not going to be under pressure i.e. getting attacked. Combine that with reading threads on here and watching YouTube (Quill18, Marbozir etc) you will soon get the drift. However, to get the best out of this sort of game you need to understand the mechanics i.e. what you need to do, and then work out how to do it. Bottom line is don't get too caught up in Victory Conditions, just build from solid foundations and see where it takes you i.e. a few good production cites, get Science/Culture going etc.
Thanks, I've played maybe 2 hours just on Prince.

Theaters tend to be built later, even for cultural victories (my speciality).

Will you please elaborate a bit about cultural victories, this is definitely my weakest style of victory, so I always go for domination or science.
I really would like to play Greece with Gorgo's ability to harvest culture from Barbarians.

Thanks

Under tips and tricks there is a culture guide at the top.
Basically as Gorgo you would attack whoever is near you while growing your own cities. Depends on level you are at for how many cities you need but go for 10 and get commercial dstricts in then all and maybe a couple of campuses.
You should be in shape maybe by turn 120 then start spamming culture projects and beeline archaeological museums then beeline cultural heritage and computers. Get you museums filled and themed as soon as you can while getting all the great writers you can (make sure you get printing).
Forget art museums, they are rubbish. Gorgo gets great culture early, its not worth so much later. Use great artists as scouts or to stop barbs spawning rather than kill them.
Once you have about 500 tourism and get computers, you will win normally in about 20 turns.
The guide explains a lot better.

The lower the level the more time you can take to mess around, just rushing through without doing anything else is a bit zzz

@Victoria,
Thanks, what about Acropolis? Should I bother, they need hills and so does production ?

Edit: of course I need Acropolis, how else would I get Museums, the question is for maps with a lot of flat terrain, how to handle them?

Top Bottom