Guild Requirements

cboxall

Chieftain
Another question I did a search for but came up empty. Is it intentional that when trying to meet a guild's requirements (so many siege engine workshops, etc.), buildings that replace the needed building don't count? For example, I have cities that have replaced their siege engine workshop with a cannon foundry (I might have the name wrong, but I think everyone knows which building I'm talking about). The cities with cannon foundries do not count towards the number of siege workshops needed.

To be honest, I could understand the cannon foundries not counting towards the siege engine count (the Guild is the Carpenters Guild, after all), but for some of the others it really doesn't make sense. The one where you need so many Ports, but the buildings that replace Ports don't count towards the total.

Is this behavior intentional?

It's not intentional, but there isn't a way that I, at least, can solve it.

The XML tags are different for requiring a building in the city, requiring one building from a list, and counting buildings.
  • If a particular building class is mandatory, that uses <BuildingClassNeededs>. University needs a Library to be built first and no other building will suffice.
  • If one building from a list will suffice, that is <PrereqOrBuildingClasses>. Many late-game buildings require Computer Network OR Network Node.
  • If X buildings are required civilization-wide, that is <PrereqBuildingClasses>. This is how most National Wonders work. This also allows scaling by map size.
It's easy to convert <BuildingClassNeededs> to <PrereqOrBuildingClasses> for an individual building being required. I thought Afforess had included code to handle <PrereqBuildingClasses> being upgraded, but apparently it doesn't work.

If fixing this problem is something worth putting some work into, I could come up with the design changes for it. Of course I don't know how to do the actual coding (then I could actually be useful), but I figure the two options, working within the restrictions you listed above, would be -

1) allow the deletion of buildings. It would be a bit heavy handed, but it would at least give the option to a player to get rid of buildings that are interfering with the building of a guild. On top of not being very elegant, it also introduces the problems related allowing players to delete buildings (I've seen the discussions on that topic).

2) change the guild requirements as such -
Current Carpenter's Guild: needs the special National Wonder (I can't remember the one you just need one of) and eight siege workshops. If the player builds any cannon foundries, then those cities can't count towards the total. The player also can build a generic guild hall in each city.

Revision: first off, remove the generic guild hall.
Revised Carpenter's Guild: The player is able to build a Carpenter's Apprentice (hopefully a better name than that) in any city that has a siege workshop or the buildings that a siege workshop upgrades into. The Carpenter's Apprentice is based on the generic guild hall, but is less expensive and gives a smaller production bonus. To build the revised Carpenter's Guild, the player needs the same National Wonder as before and eight Carpenter's Apprentices.

I'm not sure if it is important enough to anyone who can make the changes to do something like that, but I'd help however I can (text descriptions, testing). Let me know if anyone wants to take a swing at it.

Another question I did a search for but came up empty. Is it intentional that when trying to meet a guild's requirements (so many siege engine workshops, etc.), buildings that replace the needed building don't count? For example, I have cities that have replaced their siege engine workshop with a cannon foundry (I might have the name wrong, but I think everyone knows which building I'm talking about). The cities with cannon foundries do not count towards the number of siege workshops needed.

To be honest, I could understand the cannon foundries not counting towards the siege engine count (the Guild is the Carpenters Guild, after all), but for some of the others it really doesn't make sense. The one where you need so many Ports, but the buildings that replace Ports don't count towards the total.

Is this behavior intentional?

Something similar happens with Labor Union (which requires Factory) but doesn't seem to count the Mfg Plant which is the upgrade of Factory.

It's not intentional, but there isn't a way that I, at least, can solve it.

The XML tags are different for requiring a building in the city, requiring one building from a list, and counting buildings.
  • If a particular building class is mandatory, that uses <BuildingClassNeededs>. University needs a Library to be built first and no other building will suffice.
  • If one building from a list will suffice, that is <PrereqOrBuildingClasses>. Many late-game buildings require Computer Network OR Network Node.
  • If X buildings are required civilization-wide, that is <PrereqBuildingClasses>. This is how most National Wonders work. This also allows scaling by map size.
It's easy to convert <BuildingClassNeededs> to <PrereqOrBuildingClasses> for an individual building being required. I thought Afforess had included code to handle <PrereqBuildingClasses> being upgraded, but apparently it doesn't work.

It's on my to do list when I get back to my modding pc.

Also, I'm not going to mess with the Guild Hall. Yes, it's true that Guild Hall has actually nothing to do with the separate individual guilds, but it is the civic building for the Guilds economy civic. I don't want to tie the corporate-guilds together with a particular civic (short of a no-corporations civic like Planned), so I'm not going to use the Guild Hall as a requirement for guilds, and every civic should have a civic building, so that's where I am standing with that building.

Top Bottom