Gun Control poll--please read OP for assumptions.

Gun control opinion poll (see OP for assumptions please)

• I am liberal and believe citizen-owned firearms should be banned entirely.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I am liberal and believe citizen-owned firearms should be significantly more regulated.

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • I am liberal and am mostly satisfied with existing citizen-owned firearm laws.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I am liberal and believe citizen-owned firearms should be significantly less regulated.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I am liberal and believe citizen-owned firearms should be entirely unrestricted by law.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I am conservative and believe citizen-owned firearms should be banned entirely.

• I am conservative and believe citizen-owned firearms should be significantly more regulated.

• I am conservative and am mostly satisfied with existing citizen-owned firearm laws.

• I am conservative and believe citizen-owned firearms should be significantly less regulated.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I am conservative and believe citizen-owned firearms should be entirely unrestricted by law.

• Yes, we have no bananas! I just can't resist polls.

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

gnome

Warlord
This is part of an experiment I am repeating to see if I get similar results.

The poll is for US residents that identify themselves as liberal or conservative, to measure the spectrum of opinion on gun control.

For purposes of this thread, assume that the 2nd amendment is not in effect. If you think it's a good idea, feel free to vote for the banning of all firearms without regard to the legality of it.

In other words, I'm trying to gather opinions without factoring in the side issue of how to interpret the Constitution properly.

Edited to add: With regard to local differences in laws, make your vote according to your impression of gun control laws overall in the US, especially federal laws.

gnome said:
This is part of an experiment I am repeating to see if I get similar results.
Why are you using an online highly self-selected poll? You know that the results will be highly unreliable. For one you're going to oversample liberals.

Are we just throwing our lesson on "statistical sampling methods" away?

I guess by most U.S. standards I'd be considered a liberal, and I support the right of ordinary citizens to own firearms of all kinds.

Wow, took so long to compose the poll I have responses already. I think that the way I've set up the poll will avoid partisan oversampling, since it's divided.

Wow, took so long to compose the poll I have responses already. I think that the way I've set up the poll will avoid partisan oversampling, since it's divided.
No, you won't avoid partisan oversampling because CFCOT is not a random sample of the US population, and your poll is self-selected. Internet polls, especially forum polls for a specific video games, are unscientific. The most you'll get out of this is "CFCer OTs are X and believe Y" and nothing more, and you also have no guarantee that someone is going to lie by, say, not being American.

No, you won't avoid partisan oversampling because CFCOT is not a random sample of the US population, and your poll is self-selected. Internet polls, especially forum polls for a specific video games, are unscientific. The most you'll get out of this is "CFCer OTs are X and believe Y" and nothing more, and you also have no guarantee that someone is going to lie by, say, not being American.

Agree on all points. I'm just trying to get an impression, not to prove anything except the possibility of wide variation.

I dislike liberals and conservatives (at least the radical kinds) so I went with the banana thing.

I'm more of a moderate, so I'll vote bananas.

I believe that guns should be regulated, to prevent criminals and those with physiological disturbances from getting firearms. Nonetheless, I believe that the Second and Ninth Amendments protect an individual's right to a firearm.

US resident only polls are discriminating!

While I firmly believe in harsher sentencing guidelines for *criminals* using firearms in the commission of a crime. Over regulating a citizen who has every right to have a gun is just plain idiotic.

Making owning a gun illegal or so regulated that it might as well be is ridiculous as those these lawmakers are trying to target are criminals anyways. Are they going to follow the law? Hell no.

Then of course there is that pesky Constitution (or rather Bill of Rights) which guarantees American Citizens the right to bear arms in case our gov't decides that it no longer wants to democratic and all that posh. Just minor details, really.

My answer to this is simple. If you find it morally unacceptable to have firearms. Then don't buy one. Quit trying to force your pacifistic morality down the rest of our throats.

"Conservative" in light of the CFCOT and I support looser gun laws in my area.

I guess by most U.S. standards I'd be considered a liberal, and I support the right of ordinary citizens to own firearms of all kinds.
This, and I don't know enough about US gun laws - which I believe vary from state-to-state anyway - to give an opinion as to their effectiveness. Australian gun laws are another story, and I disagree with them strongly.

I figure that, gun-rights aside, libertarians are more liberal than conservative socially, so I answered the poll that way. :)

Top Bottom