1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun lobby wins: no new background checks.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Apr 17, 2013.

1. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4797b6-a77f-11e2-9e1c-bb0fb0c2edd9_story.html

So a measure supported by the vast majority of Americans, including the vast majority of gun owners, is defeated by a minority of the senate.

Well played, gunmakers, well played. Wouldn't want to get in your way of selling product with few questions asked.

A shameful day indeed.

2. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

It's only supported By the vast majority of Americans if you water down the question to "do you support background checks." I support background checks myself.

The issue is there was a lot more in this bill aside from background checks that do not enjoy the vast majority of Americans as supporters. And that's before you get to the amendments of your favorite Democrat busy bodies like assault weapons bans and magazine restrictions which similarly do not have majority support.

The fact that nothing in any legeslation proposed thus far would have done anything to stop any high profile shooting and have all failed to impact crime in precious iterations is almost besides the point. Almost.

Democracy spoke, and Obama thinks is shameful. Nobody gives a crap about what he thinks iis shameful or not, and whether you agree with him not his constant sanctimonious whining is not helping his cause. It just makes him look like a douche.

3. Earthling

Earthling Deity

I thought this was disappointing news as well, but it tells us what to expect for pretty much the entire rest of this session of Congress. Honestly, I'd place a lot of the blame with Harry Reid, because this doesn't just reflect the particular influence of one position or another on gun issues alone. Having to pass bills through the House with compromises that the Republicans will accept alongside Democrats is expected. However, I think this shows there are going to be a lot of failures to get filibuster-breaking majorities on legislation on just about anything, including all the budget related fights, for the next couple of years. So it's looking like an inactive Congress at least all the way up to the next election.

4. ace99

ace99 Deity

Wait, so all of these failed?

5. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Which of those sound like good ideas to you, about five have my tentative support. I see both lefty and righty positions I'd be behind on that list.

6. ace99

ace99 Deity

Everything except Cornyn probably.

7. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Sorry, I edited, I like 2,3 and 9.

8. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

how does something fail with 46 votes against (and actual votes, not this cloture business)

Was it not then 54-46?

???

Not like there are 5+ independents or something in the senate. There's like, maybe 2.

*edit formality*-- turned out it is cloture business.

9. ace99

ace99 Deity

Filibuster-proof majorities are required for most legislation these days.

10. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I'll simply say that I'm very surprised. I thought this was going to go through for sure.

11. ace99

ace99 Deity

I had heard there was a deal on expanded background checks.

12. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

I only skimmed article since it seems OP has all relevant info (article just adds quotes by rand paul and obama and such really), but why should journalists call it a vote if it isn't an actual senate vote?

whatever, who knows what the senate does. you need 60 votes to do anything apparently.

bill goes in, bill doesn't go out. Can't explain that.

13. ace99

ace99 Deity

Sausages and Bismarck something something.

14. bhsup

bhsup Deity

"Cornyn amendment: would federalize interstate reciprocity for concealed-carry permits"

It deserved to fail for that one alone.

15. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

I like it when American politicians keep ruining USA.

16. Azale

Azale Deity

Tar and feather the Democrat turncoats.

17. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

18. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Yes. 54 for, 46 against. 46 senators is a minority. Amendment required 60 votes in favor to pass.

19. ace99

ace99 Deity

The final breakdown:

http://www.dailykos.com/

20. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

It's kind of confusing. Here's a Washington Post article about it if you'd like to read it:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...gun-amendments-need-60-votes-to-pass-but-why/