1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

gunships vs. longbowmen

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mjd260, Mar 21, 2007.

1. mjd260

mjd260 Chieftain

So I've lost gunships to longbowmen now... Is it just me or should gunships be able to annihilate anything that shoots arrows at it? The gunship is powered by a propeller, right, and if that's the case, the amount of air blowing from the propeller should be able to divert these arrows, right? Hmm.... hmmm......hmmmmm.......

2. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

maybe the pilot of the helicopter was sleeping

3. bassist2119

bassist2119 Warlord

I'm still amazed by the Rambo-esque maceman who, apparently, threw his mace into the cockpit of my gunship, killing the pilot...

4. Stumpy123

Stumpy123 Chieftain

Sounds to me like it's a case of spearmen killing tanks in a different wrapper. Some justify its occurance by saying the unit is not actually a longbowmen, but represents a rather undertrained and underequipped gunpowder unit; the odds of winning for the "longbowmen" are then still very low, but now it seems realistic how something like this can occur.

Anyhow, losing a battle like that still sucks no matter how you view it.

5. Colossian

Colossian Prince

Stop it, stupid comparisions.

6. Tristan daCunha

Tristan daCunha Pacifist Aggressive

Or that the longbowmen are in transition to gunpowder, using explosive arrowheads. ;)

Eh, its like major league baseball. On any given day, any team can beat any other team regardless of abilities.

7. Xiahou Mao

Xiahou Mao Son of the Blind Xiahou

I assume there were some hefty City Defense % bonuses applied, likely from the city itself as well as City Garrison bonuses on the Longbowman. If you truly must justify every numerical loss due to the lack of foresight to bombard a city's defense, say that the Longbowmen were inside buildings and other fortifications within the city, and got lucky in being able to peg the pilot through the windshield.

Graphical trappings aside, units are just collections of numbers. Stack enough numbers on one side, and it'll win, regardless of its appearance. If a Longbowman has a 100% City Defense bonus from Walls/Castles or high Culture in addition to its innate bonuses, then yes, it stands a chance of beating a Gunship.

8. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

There should be two different strength factors - Pre-Gunpowder and Post-Gunpowder. Since, after all, Gunpowder seriously changed warfare.

But less is more.

9. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Sounds like a case of losing a 98% battle (or higher). Those are a pain, but it happens. I think the game would get repetitive if you were guaranteed a win with a modern unit verses a medieval unit every single time.

10. Khamul

Khamul Warlord

It is possible. Once in France farmer dropped NATOs Apache-helicopter. His weapon was a small rock. The rock went into engine, and helicopter went down...

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Deity

It's like Luke Skywalker taking down a whole Imperial walker all by himself. Actually even like destroying a whole Death Star with one X Wing fighter....

Famous last words: "1%? I think you overestimate their chances."

Clearly, the longbowman used The Force.

12. Meester_henk

Meester_henk Chieftain

It's realistic enough.

I just thought Civilization 1 where you could easily lose a battleship when attacking phalanx.

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

considering the longbowmen is in a city, as a previous post mentioned, they aren't out in the open. They are within fortifcations and buildings within the city. That's what the city defense bonus means. I always think of a culture bonus a bonus like the city is so large, that there are so many places to hide, and this give the defender the advantage.

nevertheless, we lose choppers today in iraq and afghanistan. But you can't say the Taliban, Al Quida, and the insurgents are longbowmen by any stretch of the imagination.

14. Idlenessss

Idlenessss Warlord

its perfectly conceivable that some group of people could figure out some way to take out a helicopter even tho they didnt have the technology to produce RPGs or whatever. imagine they ambushed the helicopter while it was refueling on the ground or something if you want some simple and obvious scenario.
    Gunpowder didnt do that much to war initially. A well trained archer had a much better rate of fire and accuracy and range than the early gunpowder weapons. Gunpowder may have had better chance at penetrating heavy armor. Musketeers used their swords in war fairly commonly. Cavalry still used sabres during the crimean war. the shift was very gradual. It took a long time for gunpowder technology to reach a point that it actually made other things obsolete.
    helicopters can even jsut crash for stupid reasons that had nothing to do with the enemy...
    in war nothing is a 100% sure thing.

15. mjd260

mjd260 Chieftain

I just thought it was funny that the helicopters couldn't blow the arrows away...

I take much, much, much more issue with ancient-as-hell units defeating modern armor and tanks, etc., which has been thoroughly covered elsewhere.

16. Orion071

Orion071 Home School Tutor

I just finished a game where I lost 2 Gunships to Longbowmen that attacked them and 1 to an attacking Axeman. I had sent about a dozen Gunships into Roosevelt's territory to pillage and he would send waves of Cannons to soften them up and then finished a few off with the Longbowmen and an Axe. I guess the cannonballs cause the helicopter to land and then the pilot got to meet Mr. Axe. I didn't really care because they took out at least 15 Cannons first.

17. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

im gob smacked this smilie has not come up:spear:

try total realism

18. Ankh-f-n-Khonsu

Ankh-f-n-Khonsu forth-speaker of Mentu

I'm no physicist, but I assume that the combination of propeller current, air temperature, air pressure, proximity to water, topography of land, and the type of paint used on the gunship all came together to vacuum the arrow into the cockpit, where it wedged into the pilot's throat, causing him to bleed to death. Just a guess, I haven't checked the relevant xml.

19. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

If you fight any battle with any odds, eventually you will lose the battle even if its 99.99999999% in your favor.

However i agree that sometimes the odds arent accurate enough like they would be in real life.

20. Quagga

Quagga Former Dictator

Longbows: Simple, not prone to failure, last for 1000s of years. Helicopters: 1000s of moving parts, highly prone to failure, last just hours without maintenance. In this case, the chopper malfunctioned while it was attacking. 'Nuff said?