Gurra's Civilizations

I'm not going to name this mystery civ just yet but I have a question relating to it. I'm planning a Great Musician replacement and I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if the game runs out of unique names for great people? Because this UU I have in mind only has three possible names - that's too few, right?

They'll spawn without names, and will be unable to create Great Works (because those are tied to the names so that each Artist/Writer/Musician creates a work that they actually created historically), but will be able to perform their other functions.

It's time to announce what I have been working on this week. My upcoming civ will be a little bit closer to home than Punjab, and it is the...

Republic of Jämtland

Leader: Östman Gudfastsson

Östman Gudfastsson is mentioned on Jämtland's only remaining runestone, the Frösö Runestone, and is attributed to have Christianized Jämtland. Jämtland was up until 1178 (when it was conquered by Norway) an independent peasant republic ruled by all free men through a thing, the Jamtamót, so finding a leader was hard. I settled on him as there is at least evidence he might have existed. I'm not sure whether to use the Swedish name for him, Östman Gudfastsson, or the Norse name written on the runestone, Austmaðr Guðfastarsun.

City list:
Spoiler :
Östersund
Frösön
Strömsund
Brunflo
Hammerdal
Krokom
Åre
Bräcke
Hammarstrand
Järpen
Lit
Gällö
Hoting
Stugun
Backe
Mörsil
Ås
Duved
Svenstavik
Nälden

Unique Ability: Christener of Jamtaland
- If no own religion has been founded, Jämtland will benefit from its majority religion as if they had founded it.

I have literally no knowledge whether this UA is possible to code nor how one would go about to code it. But I thought it was a cool idea for a unique ability to make the choice of Östman Gudfastsson as leader more relevant. I'd really appreciate hearing your feedback on this.

Unique Building: Mótstead (replaces Courthouse)
In addition to regular Courthouse abilities:
- Can be built in any city.
- No maintenance costs.
- +2 happiness
- Trade routes others make to a city with a Mótstead generates +1 gold for the city owner and +1 gold for the trade route owner.

The Mótstead is here to represent the ruling thing of medieval independent Jämtland, Jamtamót. The week during which Jamtamót was assembled had people coming in to Frösön from all over Jämtland which made for a big market that continues on to this day under the name Gregory Market, as it is held on Saint Gregory Day (March 12). This was the idea for borrowing the Market's ability of gold from trade routes. Does that make sense or could there be a better way to represent it?

Unique Unit: President of Jamtland (replaces Great Writer)
- Can perform a concert tour in addition to Great Writer abilities.

This unit has nothing to do with independent medieval Jämtland, but a modern half-serious "independence movement" called the Republic of Jamtland promoting regional culture and taking part in an annual music festival in Östersund called Storsjöyran. The republic has a President who is a cultural figure with some sort of connection to Jämtland. There have only been three Presidents to date but to get enough great works I have made several copies of each president which currently totals to 8 great works of writing. Is this enough or do I need to find more sources for great works?
Spoiler current list of presidents and their unique great works :
President Yngve Gamlin
KnäppUpp - a series of popular revues he took part in setting up together with Swedish entertainer Povel Ramel. (This one doesn't have a quote.)
Hjolbänningar - a mockumentary he made about the mythical supernatural beings "hjolbänningar" in Jämtland. (This one doesn't have a quote.)
The Flata Monster - another mockumentary he made about a Loch Ness-like monster in a Jämtland lake.

President Moltas Erikson
Norgevisan - a controversial song he sang in an entertainment TV program about Norway being a "rotten, rotten country"
Presidentens tal (1983) - the Storsjöyran festival was revived in 1983 after being dormant for a few years, and he spoke there as the newly inaugurated President of Jamtland.

President Ewert Ljusberg
Jamtelagen - a list of 10 commandments for Jamts to follow, the name is a spin on the concept Jantelagen.
Presidentens tal (2007) - a quote from a speech he held at Storsjöyran in 2007.
Presidentens tal (2008) - a quote from another speech he held at Storsjöyran in 2008.

What needs to be done
Here's a list of what hasn't been done yet and I would appreciate any help I can get.

Balance: This one explains itself. Are the UA/UU/UB and the overall scope of the civ balanced? Any thoughts on changes or improvements?

Leaderscreen: Östman would need a leaderscreen and it is sadly way beyond my skills to make one. A major problem is that there aren't any sources I can find as to what he looked like. I'm thinking a leaderscreen of Östman would be a generic Scandinavian man, standing outdoors in front of the Frösö Runestone.

Icons: Icons for UU, UB, and leader. I'm not sure yet what to use for reference when it comes to the UU and UB art. Leader icon depends on the leaderscreen of course.

Unique Ability: As I said earlier I don't know how to make the UA happen or whether it is even possible. Any point in the right direction is helpful here.

Unit model: Should I give the President a unique model or does the Great Writer model work? If they are to get their own model, any ideas to an existing one out there you think would be goods?

Unique Decisions: I have ideas for unique decisions to give the mod some E&D Support but I haven't tried getting into coding them. I did manage to make one decision happen for the Sikhs with lots and lots of copy paste and the help of people here on the forums. I can do XML, and I can understand SQL, but Lua is not really in my book. Decision ideas in the spoiler, feedback is welcome:
Spoiler :
Assemble Jamtamót
I have two separate ideas for this decision actually, I'd love feedback on which one is the best.

Idea 1
Requirement/Restrictions:
- Player must be Jämtland.
- Must have a Mótstead built in the capital.
- Cannot be enacted before the Medieval era.
- Can only be enacted once

Costs:
- 1 magistrates

Rewards:
- Mótsteads generate +2 culture.

Idea 2
Requirement/Restrictions:
- Player must be Jämtland
- Must have researched Mathematics.
- Must not have a Mótstead built in the capital.

Costs:
- 2 or 3 magistrates

Rewards:
- A Mótstead is built in the capital.
- Mótsteads generate +1 culture.

Revive Storsjöyran

Requirements/Restrictions:
- Player must be Jämtland
- Must have researched Radio

Costs:
- Lump sum of culture or gold or both?

Rewards:
- A President of Jamtland spawns in the capital.

I come bearing LUA errors for all, since that's the code I don't know how to fix myself, probably because it looks like math and I'm allergic to math.

Code:
[152896.593] Runtime Error: C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFD\Civilizations\Sikh Empire (v 4)\Lua/GuruOverride.lua:7: attempt to index field 'UNIT_GURU' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFD\Civilizations\Sikh Empire (v 4)\Lua/GuruOverride.lua:7: in main chunk
	=[C]: ?
[152896.593] Runtime Error: Error loading C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFD\Civilizations\Sikh Empire (v 4)\Lua/GuruOverride.lua.

Hmm, to be honest Lua isn't my strongest area of expertise either and that particular code was originally written by LastSword.

Edit: Disregard what I said here earlier because I might have a clue what's wrong here, wait a second and I'll check.
Edit 2: The Lua error you posted mentions something about a nil value in regards to 'UNIT_GURU' - I'm not much of a code person so not exactly sure if I got it right. But what I do know is that there is no UNIT_GURU in the XML code because that unit was renamed UNIT_GURRA_GURU for uniqueness reasons. Try opening the .lua file mentioned and edit where it says UNIT_GURU to UNIT_GURRA_GURU, and see if that resolves the error.

On another note: why do you keep my civ in a JFD folder? :p

Minor update to Sikh Empire v4 (2016-09-15):
- Fixed a bug where Great Prophets would be generated instead of Gurus.

The manual download has been updated and I'm currently working on updating the Steam Workshop download, which will hopefully be done in a few minutes.

Edit: Steam Workshop file updated aswell.

That did fix it. It's in a Civilizations folder that's inside a folder with all of JFD's non-civ mods.

Top Bottom