Gurrlia Warfare

Sabotage

Wehrmacht Commandant
As usual with all my suggestions and posts, you are more than welcome to flame or comment on them.

We can say that without a doubt gurrila warfare has played a massive part in the world. From the Afghans driving out the Soviets to the Vietnamnese battling the Americans, gurrila warfare has been a large part of military history.

It can happend in two ways. Either a military unit stays in enemy territory for a number of turns and it turns into a "Gurrila" unit, or you build them at cities. I prefer the former.

If say a Modern Tank stayed in enemy territory for 5 turns, it would form into a group of 3 Gurrila soldiers (because being away from home that long would have meant the tanks would've fallen into a state of disrepair).

Gurrila soldiers are 7/7/2 No special resources needed and retreats after battles, BUT after retreating can still move one space.

What do you think? Obviously it would be tedious having all your modern armour divisions broken up into Gurrila warriors because your blitz on a city didn't go as fast as you wanted, but still..

i like it but there is something missingmaybe they should have speacial rules like ummmmmm maybe they can place mines or something else

I rather liked the civII way where guerrilla units would come out of the towns captured.

Why shoulödn`t this be improved on for CivIII?
Like when you are at war and your troops are in enemy territory someone occasionally takes potshots at them. Effect like bombardment, but your units can fight bakc and take 1 pop off the next town. But this will then increase resistance if you do take the town later on.....

Originally posted by Killer
I rather liked the civII way where guerrilla units would come out of the towns captured.

I like to think that Civ II's partisans were dropped in favour of the so-called "culture flipping."

Originally posted by Dralix

I like to think that Civ II's partisans were dropped in favour of the so-called "culture flipping."

Yeah, I guess so, but this is rather ridiculous anyway, and especially about the militray effect. After all, partisans can effectively close mountain ranges to enemys - for a time..... Also, they can take a substancial toll of inexperienced units. So why not implement this?????

What about guerilla/rebel units late in the game behaving the similarly to barbarians? These reasonably well armed (your 7/7/2 for example) forces could swarm from the mountains and maybe even take a city, unrecognized by established civs, and leaving it open for any civ to come and take the city if you don't get there fast enough.

Originally posted by Sabotage

We can say that without a doubt gurrila warfare has played a massive part in the world. From the Afghans driving out the Soviets to the Vietnamnese battling the Americans, gurrila warfare has been a large part of military history.

Dont forget the irish bringing the British Empire to its knees during the war of independence.

I think the game assumes that the tank sitting in the enemy territory has a supply line and there is an area setup for the tank to come back to for repairs and such. Remember the game isn't completely realistic.....in the begining your troops would die of old age b/c each turn is 50 years long.....

i think it would be much better if u could build guerrilla units rather than your units turning into them .... at least i think so ... i think they were great in civ2, worked well and were ballanced also ..... guerrilla warfare is so important to the modern battlefeild and would add so much more to the game than is now

the reason i dont like the idea of units turning into guerrillas after X amount of turns is it would add to the micromanagement of the game ... as u would have to keep an eye on your forces

guerrilla units should have 2 movment points, treat all terrain as roads and be quite cheep (perhaps cost a population point as well?) be invisable to other units (exept to other guerrilla units) but have low stats 7/7/2 would fit nicely

also would be awesome barbarians .... although ... i have never seen any barbarians late in the game (I LOOOOVVVED then in civ2 ... sent in a spy to convert them ... was great stuff)

Originally posted by Selous
although ... i have never seen any barbarians late in the game (I LOOOOVVVED then in civ2 ... sent in a spy to convert them ... was great stuff)

My understanding is that barbarians won't appear within any civ's cultural boundary. Late in the game, practically every tile is within some cultural boundary. In Civ2, colonizing the world was supposed to reduce the appearance of barbarians (as stated in the manual) but I never noticed it. The worst part about those barbarian partisans was the pillaging. All that work, gone ...

Originally posted by Dralix
The worst part about those barbarian partisans was the pillaging. All that work, gone ... [/B]

Plus, you always had to keep a standing offensive army to get the barbarian partisans. They never attacked your cities.

I always play Civ II with "villages only" because of late-game barbarians.

I agree with everybody who liked the Civ2 partisans. Culture flipping is a good concept, but the implementation is a bit bad - how the heck can revolting citizenry kill an entire army of elite Cav plus several artillery units?!? I'd prefered if the units simply retreated, perhaps taking some damage. And some population should get killed/flee in terror.

If one where to introduce a Partisan/Guerilla/Rebel unit, I'd prefer it to have stats reminiscent of other firearmed infantry units - perhaps 5/10/1. This way, they'd be pretty hard to hunt down and kill, especially if dug down in mountains, but offer little threat to forified cities.

Since I fear somebody's gonna remind me of Afghan Mujahideen ambushing and wrecking Russian tanks, wouldn't it be wonderful if there were an "ambush bonus" for infantry attacking mechanized units on roaded forrest tiles from unroaded forrest tiles?

I liked the way that partisans would appear around a recently captured city in Civ2. Maybe this could be added to Civ3. The number of partizans produced could be proportional to the happiness in a city before you captured it.

I actually like Jason Fox's idea. Maybe implemented in some way that if you don't keep a certain percentage of your total population happy, partisans/rebels/merry men(outlaws, Robin Hood style)/freedomfighters/guerrillaguys start popping up in the outskirts of your empire? Attacking towns and units, mind. Not pillaging. They are fighting for the freedom of the peasant, not tying to make life as miserable as possible for them (yeah, I know that's not how it works in reality, but it's a game, after all).

Or... you could draft them yourself! That's right, draft them. Not build. Who really uses the draft button anyway? This way you'd have to use it to get a fairly good unit. And besides, it seems a bit silly that when you draft, you suddenly end up with a fully equipped, if somewhat inexperienced Mech. Inf.!
:ar15::soldier::tank::rocket3: Fight de 'pressors!

Instead of a partisan unit, have some of the citizens in a city that's over, say, size 6 leave the city and become whatever draft unit is currently available to the player, sort of like a voluntary draft. Wait a second, isn't that an oxymoron? :D

Top Bottom