Gypsy civ - idea worth to be seen

LUDzik

Chieftain

ROMANI - The Gypsy civilisation
Leader: ---- so far just random King of Roms

UA: Diaspora – Romani starts with The wheel discovered and the Gypsy wagon instead of a Settler. Gypsies can`t build missionaries, settlers, caravans and cargo boats, but can annexed city-states, puppet cities that shares a religion and cities of opponents influenced by gypsy culture.
UU: Gypsy wagon
UU2: Taraf, the gypsy orchestra

Gypsy wagon serve for all purposes of removed units and it replaced a caravan. It costs the same production and need caravan slot to be build. It cannot be purchased by gold, but instead it can be purchased by faith (cost equal to missionary). After optics and getting embarkation promotion Gipsy wagon can serve as sea trade route, but it gives a player gold only equal to land trade route on the same distance.

If not serving as a trade route gypsy wagon have 2 movement point, have 5 strength (20 after Radio) and can`t attack. First city-state can be annexed by wagon when it move to the adjacent hex of that city. Annexed city becomes the capital of Gypsy empire and get the palace instead of a courthouse and the gypsy wagon disappears in the process. Second city-state can be annexed in the same way by gypsy wagon upon discovery of mathematics, and it will get a courthouse (not free one!). Third city will not be annexed by wagon but instead become a puppeted city-state. Gypsies can’t get more than three cities in that way.

Gypsy wagon can be set as a land trade route or sea trade route upon optics; wagon as a trade route can make religious pressure as regular caravan but with double effectiveness. Wagon as trade route can be plundered by opponent.
Romani is a default name of Gypsy religion (can be changed), Gypsies can’t spread religion with missionaries, however they can do it with prophets or with wagons by trade routes.

Taraf, the gypsy orchestra replaces great musician, he can create a great work of music or make a concert on opponent territory. Unique ability of Taraf is that if he is adjacent to city or city-state that shares religion with Gypsy’s capital he can puppet that city and disappear in the process. That effect does not trigger war with AI, however have negative diplomatic influence. Taraf can also puppet in the same way cities of player who is influenced by Gypsy culture. Taraf can’t puppet opponent capital.

Am waiting for opinions and maybe someone want to make mod with the Gypsies?

I don't think Civ 5 will allow you to have Wagon type of unit. But you idea is excellent. It goes in line with my philosophy that civ series need to offer 2 grand categories for civilizations: nomad civilization and sedentary one. Sons of Abel and sons of Cain. In every single civ city was the center, but half of the human history was written by nomads, which are not represented very prominently in the series.

In Civ 4 there was an excellent Mongol scenario with Mongol Camp unit. Player had an option to never keep a city razing them all and keep producing units and get Great Generals in their Camp Unit. There has to be very specific change in rules allowing you to avoid "You have been defeated" message when you have no cities.

Moderator Action: Welcome to Civfanatics, LUDzik. The "New civilizations" sub-forum is for completed civilizations only - therefore this has been moved to the main Creation and Customisation forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
Sorry for mess, am new to forum

Tigranes:
Idea of civilisation "nomadic" is great in general, but its hard to design. Gypsis fits here great, but problem is that civ 5 do not support diplomatic niuanses--->
There are no option in the game to get city from other civilisation other than trade or by force.

I know that it could be hard to program that--> unit that can be both caravan and non civilian settler - tough to set.

This is a pretty decent idea for a civ. Primary thing - should be named Romani or so, Gypsy is a very inaccurate, somewhat racist name. Also I can't find anything on what this Tarat is, all it gives me are minor villages in Arabic countries. I don't see why setting a military unit to have trade capacities should be hard. Wouldn't it be a simple matter of giving an Establish Trade Route command to one? It wouldn't be a pentagon one, meaning that when in route, units couldn't overlap...so program in that it pushes units out of the way - the Winged Hussar Heavy Charge promotion should have attributes that allow for that. Settling and missionary purposes are simple matters of commands like that - refer to Conquistadors for how to add that kind of thing.

This is a pretty decent idea for a civ. Primary thing - should be named Romani or so, Gypsy is a very inaccurate, somewhat racist name. Also I can't find anything on what this Tarat is, all it gives me are minor villages in Arabic countries. I don't see why setting a military unit to have trade capacities should be hard. Wouldn't it be a simple matter of giving an Establish Trade Route command to one? It wouldn't be a pentagon one, meaning that when in route, units couldn't overlap...so program in that it pushes units out of the way - the Winged Hussar Heavy Charge promotion should have attributes that allow for that. Settling and missionary purposes are simple matters of commands like that - refer to Conquistadors for how to add that kind of thing.

Gyra thx for feedback! Of course gypsy is bad name, Romani is much better. I misspelled Taraf, the gypsy orchestra - now its ok.

Programming that civ could found also other problems to solve - wagon serve both as land and sea trade route so its distance depends on upgrades but not refer to cargo ship and caravan, but to one unit. Also it must be set that first wagon is in the game, despite fact that Romani can't establish trade route at the begging (they don't have animal husbandry at the start) - unless we will give them one free additional wagon slot at the very beggining. etc. etc.

Other thing is balance of Romani, cause start is definetly meh, but option of capturing religious city with musician Taraf could be easily overpowered.

ANY IDEA bout ROMS LEADER? really hard to find one

Gyra thx for feedback! Of course gypsy is bad name, Romani is much better. I misspelled Taraf, the gypsy orchestra - now its ok.

Programming that civ could found also other problems to solve - wagon serve both as land and sea trade route so its distance depends on upgrades but not refer to cargo ship and caravan, but to one unit. Also it must be set that first wagon is in the game, despite fact that Romani can't establish trade route at the begging (they don't have animal husbandry at the start) - unless we will give them one free additional wagon slot at the very beggining. etc. etc.

Other thing is balance of Romani, cause start is definetly meh, but option of capturing religious city with musician Taraf could be easily overpowered.

ANY IDEA bout ROMS LEADER? really hard to find one

This is a neat idea. I would be really interested in playing a Romani civ.

A quick scan of this Wikipedia page revealed a couple of candidates that are better than others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Gypsies

The problem is that "King of the Gypsies" was a title that seems to have been purely honorary in most cases, and extremely local as well.

That being said:

Abram Wood, in Wales, seems like he made a large cultural impact.

John Faa or William Faa in Scotland seemed to be pretty influential in their area.

But like I said, finding a real representative of the whole community is pretty much impossible.

I was just thinking about a Romani civ. One idea that came to mind would be a combination UI/UU type deal.

Leader- Cocke Lorel: Was elected his successor "by the General Council". Cock Lorel was "the most notorious knave that ever lived" who ruled until 1533. He professed the trade of a tinker to cover his thefts. Rid says that his knaveries are recorded in an old manuscript kept as "Maunders’ Hall", giving the rogue community a similar structure of that of the trade guilds. Cock Lorel was the great mythical leader of Tudor rogues. His name means just that, "cock" being leader, and "lorel" or losel" meaning rascal. He first appears about 1500 in "Cock Lorel's Boat", and is mentioned in Robert Copland's The Highway to the Spitalhouse (1535). He is credited with approving John Awdesley's The Fraternity of Vagabonds, (1561), in which he is given as the creator of the Twenty Five Orders of Knaves, reproduced in Thomas Harman's Warning for Common Cursitors and many other works of rogue literature. There is no record of any real individual on whom he was based. Cock Lorel is credited with having held a meeting with the leader of the Egyptians, Giles Hather, at their base at The Devils Arse Apeak in Derbyshire. Rid claims that at this meeting they devised a new and secret language Thieves' Cant, "to the end that their cozenings, knaveries, and villainies might not so easily be perceived and known"

Colors- Blue and Green

Capital- Acinganorum

UA- Diaspora: Great Musicians may enter rival territory and are 50% more effective when expended for Concert Tours. Spies and Diplomats work 50% faster.

UU- Vardo (caravan): Replaces the Chariot Archer. Available upon discovery of The Wheel. Melee unit with a bonus to defense but cannot attack. Has no penalty to movement. May be expended to construct the Wagon Fair improvement.

UI- Wagon Fair: +1 Culture and +1 Gold. +50% defensive bonus to units on this tile. Capable of being built in friendly and neutral territory. May be sacrificed to construct a Vardo.

Top Bottom