1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

H G Well's The War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Thorgrimm, Nov 27, 2006.

1. mmmrrrr

mmmrrrr Chieftain

You seem to misunderstand, the book is in fact quite unrelated to the HG Wells book apart from the name, they just took the same theme (Martians invading earth) and put a completely different spin on it. It's not a follow up, and I for one wouldn't go as far as say that HG wrote the "definite" book on all Martian invasions. There are plenty of other themes to explore within that context. The Strugatsky brothers, being great satiricists with a good sense of humour, made a joke with their allusion to the HG book (also, the agenda of the Martians remain unknown all throughout the Strugatsky book, there really aren't any conclusions to be drawn on that area). It was a joke, although personally I find the Strugatsky book to be a lot more interesting both technically and on a conceptual level.

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

When I dl and unzip the saved game it shows up as a generic file, not a .SAV, and C3C won't recognize it.

3. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

@Lord Malbeth, sure any help in making it better is always welcome. And glad to see you are enjoying the mod. :D

@mmmrrr, glad to hear you like them, but they in no way reflect HG's work, so I will not use any ideas from other books or stories that are not of HG Well's creation. Sorry about that dude. I want to keep this faithful.:)

Has anybody else had the same problem unzipping the save game as Blue Monkey? Well to be on the safe side I will try and get another Martian save game up. But if anybody had the same problem let me know if you were able to get it working or not till I can get up the new save game.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

4. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Emperor

You can say that again. This is tied for my 'Best Scenario/Mod Ever' (And I'm only 7 turns in ;) )

BTW, I like your sig. :D

5. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Wait till you hit either Europe or America. I guarantee you will pucker when you see all those units heading your way as the Martians. The veritable ant hill has been kicked over. :lol:

So do I. ;) :D

@Blue Monkey, the new save game is up. Try it now.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

6. Blue Monkey

saw the post; will dl and try new save tomorrow.

7. Flamand

Flamand The Visible Elder!

Great scenario! Really love it.

Only one tiny point of criticism: I think it's better if all the humans would be in a alliance against the Martians from the beginning. Now they are all fighting each other instead of the Martians. But I'm playing a version from 1.5 years ago, so maybe that has been changed already?

8. Stazro

Stazro Prince

I had the same problem, but adding a ".SAV" to the name was enough :)

9. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Flamand, I originally had all the humans in Locked alliances based on the historical alliances of the time, eg, Central Powers, Allies, British Commonwealth. But when I was testing the humans for playibility I found that c3c's locked alliance system pulled the player into way too many wars. So I removed them.

If you play on max aggression have no fear, within a year you will be at war with the entire world.;)

I also tried to put myself into the 'shoes' of the Martians. From their point of view they knew they would be massively outnumbered, even to the point where human numbers could possibly swamp their fighting machines. So I think they would count on human rivalries to slow the human troop buildup to where they could overcome the numbers.

In my civ 2 version of this mod I even had the other Great Powers declare war on the United Kingdom when London, Dublin and Edinburgh fell, to grab the English colonies. If civ 3 had event capabilities I would do the same in it. For I feel at this time period that would have occurred.

@Stazro, thanks for the information. I made sure this save game had the .sav extension.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

10. David Smith

David Smith Warlord

When is the human save game coming?

11. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Emperor

You do have to consider that at the beginning of the book, only England (Supposedly) knew about the Martians and fough them.

Why would you want to play as the puny Earthlings? :D

BTW, are you supposed to raze cities? I just capture all of Englands towns in the first turn and kept them, then used the Handling machines to 'Aresform' (I just love that word) the British Isles.

12. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

@Malbeth, yes you are supposed to raze them, because you get NO culture from any buildings, only from sacrifice, to simulate the Martian feeding habits and their increasing control as the human population drops.

Also, you will never assimilate any human nation. Their workers will always stay in revolt. Would you work for the monster who only considered you dinner?;) :D

@David Smith, depends on what human civ you are waiting on, but the first should be in a day or so.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

13. mmmrrrr

mmmrrrr Chieftain

:eek:

I'm beginning to understand how Goldflash feels!

Well, the scenario is really nice in it's own right, I suppose I'll refrain from discussing/referencing literature in here. Too bad about the digestive acids, but you can't have everything!

Also, your signature is lacking a close tag on the size change ([/size]).

14. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Emperor

But weren't the humans lobotomized?

15. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

@mmmrrr, you are free to discuss any literature you wish, but to add anything to the scen it has to have come from HG himself. You can't do justice to somebody's reflection in literature if you dilute it with other author's thoughts on the same subject. If this was just War of the Worlds, then ideas from other authors would be good. But since it is HG Well's The War of the Worlds it is limited to just his works.:)

As for the close tag, it was put there by a mod who did not like my sig, even though it is smaller than others I have seen. So what I have to do is remove the open tag.

@ Lord Malbeth, yeah they were, but for 'milking' purposes to keep the humans quiet and non threatening as they were slowly bled to death over time. And in civ if you capture the city no way to show that process.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

16. Blue Monkey

The new save works; thanks.

17. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Emperor

True, I never really thought that through. :D

18. la_dav

la_dav King

Ye..........~`~` I'm...Great!!... Love it!!~

19. aotearoa

aotearoa Chieftain

AWSOME !!!
    A big BRAVO ! Superb units and great animations !!!
    Now some questions :)
    OK, captured England, razed the cities, build new ones, gave everybody Medicine, got alot of money, now what ? :)
    How do I leave the Island ?
    There are no harbours so the two islands don't connect (no resources).
    And what does the Digging Machine do ? (beside of digging mines ;) ) It can't irrigate (only the human workers do).
    Am I missing something ?
    Thanks a lot.

20. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

1. To leave England you have to research the Martian Cylinder, which is a helo class unit that can lift units into Europe. Also researching the Martian Transport will give you a naval class transport. I also STRONGLY suggest you spend the time building LOTS of fighting machines and black smoke, the humans are NUMEROUS!:crazyeye:

2. The Digging Machine mines and makes fortifications.

3. To irrigate you need Handling machines. They make cities and all the other things workers do.

4. Human workers are to be sacrificed for culture. No Martian building but the Palace gives culture.

5. Ireland will be that way till you research the Martian equivelant of the airport and build it. Ireland is a backwater anyway. You can build everything in England.:D

Any other questions do not hesitate to ask.:)

Cheers, Thorgrimm