1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Half life Alyx announced by Valve - Prepare for unforeseen consequences

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by sherbz, Nov 19, 2019.

1. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

After thousands of internet memes revolving around the number 3, Valve have finally delved back into the Half Life universe. And it is a VR exclusive. No doubt aiming to try and maximise their new headset.

Could this be spectacular or a damp squib? I own a VR headset so could potentially play this on release. But i know many others dont. I also think Valves headset is extraordinarily expensive. It also isnt Half Life 3. Still, pretty exciting news.

2. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

VR exclusive? I am sure I speak for plenty of others and not just my self when I say Valve can *very long list of expletives that starts off being offensive but lasts long enough to become annoying and eventually just boring so much so that by the end you have completely tuned out and miss me leaving still cursing under my breath*

GenMarshall and Synsensa like this.
  3. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

I think if they had done this a couple of years ago i would have agreed that your response would be the majority opinion on the matter. But VR is quite embedded now and its not obscenely expensive to get yourself a headset and also have the rig in order to run it - most modern day games require hardware thats VR ready anyhow. It also isnt Half Life 3. Its just a spin off. So respectfully i dont agree. VR has been crying out for a developer to go balls deep into the genre in a meaningful way and this might just be it. So i think its a good thing. And hopefully may demonstrate what VR can do when utilised correctly. I think it speaks volumes that Elite Dangerous is still one of the biggest and best VR titles out there - despite being 5 years old. And its one of a few that has been correctly optimised and is a "big" game. Most other titles are almost like token gestures in comparison. Fun to experience. But you would never really consider spending hours and hours on them. Half Life Alyx might change all that. Or at least make VR more mainstream than what it currently is.

4. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

It's not about that. VR can't be recorded well for viewing by other people. So we won't ever get Freemans Mind 3.

5. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Im going to say it - it looks freaking awesome.

6. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

There’s also the slight issue that this is between HL 1 and 2 so Freeman won’t be in it...

7. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

My guess is that the story will be about Alyx locating Freeman in some way shape or form.