1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hall of Eternal Glory: Unit Concept Art by RedAlert

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Dec 5, 2007.

1. RedAlert

RedAlert Love one another

Introduction

Hi, I'm RedAlert.
    You may remeber me from such posts as "What's the French word for Poutine?" and "Who is Future Guy?"

Recently I've taken up creating unit concept art as a hobby, and I've decided to share my work with you.

I'm not exactly requesting any of the following units to be made. My purpose is more to provide an inspiration or a guide for unit makers. I would certainly rank these as a lower priority than the many unmade units needed for countless mods.

I've tried to make sure these are at least reasonably historically accurate, while adding a (hopefully non-lethal) dose of artistic license.

So enjoy! .....Or, not. :mischief:

Navigation

Ancient Mediterranean
    North America
    South America

2. RedAlert

Ancient Mediterranean

Carthage

Carthage was a city and empire located in North Africa, with colonies around the Mediterranean sea, notably in Sicily and Spain. Once the naval powerhouse of the western Mediterranean, it was the greatest rival of the Roman Republic and was subdued and destroyed by Rome after three devastating wars.

The armies of Carthage were very diverse ethnically, and were famously made up mainly of mercenaries. The soldiers below, however, are of Punic stock, and though not many, they are the core of Carthage's military.

I have divided the history of Carthage into three eras, and the units change to reflect the times:
    The Early Period: From the founding of Carthage to the Sicilian Wars
    The Middle Period: From the Sicilian Wars through the First Punic War and Mercenary War
    The Late Period: From the Second Punic War to the destruction of Carthage.

Early Period Units
    The early period saw mostly eastern influences in the arms and armour of Carthaginian soldiers.
    Middle Period Units
    With the middle period came strong Greek influences in Carthage, and in, among other things, their armies.
    Late Period Units
    During the Second Punic War, Carthaginian soldiers in Italy would replace their equipment with that off their fallen Roman foes, resulting in a very Romanized looking army.

3. RedAlert

North America

Maya

For two thousand years, the Yucatan peninsula and Guatemala highlands were home to one of the most culturally rich civilizations in history. Never a unified people, the Maya were divided in to dozens of competing city-states and sub-cultures. Their achievements in art and mathematics, among many other things, marked the pinnacle of Pre-Columbian civilization.
    Mississippians

The Mississippian culture was quite the opposite of the stereotypical Native North American culture. Characterized by large urban centres and earthen pyramid mounds, complex social systems comparable to Mesoamerican cultures, and trade routes spanning the North American continent, this civilization was located in the eponymous river basin and was contemporary with the Middle Ages in Europe.

The concept art below is based heavily on both modern and 16th century artwork of the Mississippians and descendant cultures.
    Olmecs

The Olmecs, the first major civilization in Mesoamerica, flourished during the Preclassic era. The Olmec civilizaton is often referred to as the 'mother culture' of Mesoamerica, due to the origins of many of the facets of Mesoamerican culture in the Olmec period.
    Tarascans

The Tarascan civilization was located in western Mexico in the Postclassic period of Mesoamerican history (circa 900s to 1500s C.E.). Perhaps the strongest rival of the Aztecs before the Spanish arrival, the Tarascans were often at war with the Aztec Empire, but never conquered by them, largely due to the Tarascans' advanced military organization and superior tactics.
    Teotihuacan

The city of Teotihuacan, already ancient by the time of the Aztecs, was known to them as the 'City of the Gods'. Sitting close to Lake Texcoco in the Valley of Mexico; what was once one of the largest cities in the world reached its peak during the time of the Roman Empire in the Old World. The city's influence spread throughout Mesoamerica, even playing an important role in the Maya region at the height of their civilization.
    Toltecs

Preceding the Aztecs as the dominant culture in Central Mexico during the 900s to 1100s C.E.; the Toltecs were admired for their culture by the Aztecs, who claimed descent from them.

4. RedAlert

South America

Chimu

In existance towards the end of the pre-Columbian period, the Chimu state was the last great power in the way of Incan dominance of the Andes. Underscoring the opposition of Chimu to Inca is an interesting feature of the states' respective religions: While the Inca worshiped the sun as the giver of life, the desert-dwelling Chimu viewed the harsh solar rays much less favourably. Instead, the moon occupied the central position in Chimu mythology.
    Huari

The Huari, or Wari, were the first great empire of the Andes. One of the dominant cultures in the area during the Middle Horizon (~600 - 1000 C.E.), many of the features considered hallmarks of the later Incan civilization (an extensive road network, for example) in fact originated during the Huari hegemony.
    Inca

The city-state of Cuzco rose in less than a century to become the most extensive empire in the Americas prior to the arrival of Europeans. The Incas united the various cultures of the Andes under a new order. This is due in no small part to the Incan military, which was perhaps unmatched in power and organization up to that point in the new world.

5. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

I hope it's alright for me to post... :sad:

These models look really nice. I think I will definitely have some use for them, and once I get my current porjects out of the way, I could definitely see myself making a Carthaginian unit pack. Besides, it's badly needed so it should be very important for certain mods. I have some really nice ideas already floating around in my head (i.e. which props and so forth to use).

6. Partizanac

Partizanac Serbian Ambassador in CFC

7. RedAlert

Hi :).
    I replaced most of the images missing since the hacker attack. There are a few not up, but those may have to wait a while.

It is. :)

Thank you! I'm happy to hear you are considering making some Carthaginians.
    I've had a look through your unit preview thread; you, my friend, have talent! :eek:

Thanks! You know, I hadn't even thought of RFRE when I was drawing these, but all the better if these units (if made) could find places in mods like pinktilapia's

8. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Boy, am I glad this thread got bumped. I had no idea it existed! :(

Wasn't the Carthaginian Sacred Band largely a cavalry force?

9. RedAlert

Hi Mithadan,
    The Carthaginian Sacred Band is generally regarded to have been an infantry unit, composed of around 2500 men and fighting in phalanx formation. However, there was supposedly also a cavalry counterpart, dedicated to Ashtarte, which I intend to draw later on.

10. Mithadan

Dang it, I'll have to revise my personal mod then. :blush:

For the record, here's where I got my hack-kneed idea:
    I guess that's what I guess for relying on a single, 26-year-old source!

11. RedAlert

Well, I wouldn't count out age too quickly, my sources are about 2000 years old. ;)
    I do find it odd to find some sources mention a Sacred Band infantry or cavalry, but make no mention of the other. (Wikipedia mentions both, though.) Still, it occurs to me that Osprey would know their stuff, and that's not the only place I hear of a Sacred Band cavalry.
    Regardless, the Carthaginian nobility often served as cavalry. Sacred Band cavalry or not, I doubt they would have differed very greatly. So my eventual drawing can represent both.

Thanks for bringing this up, it's a very interesting topic. :)

----------------------

Edit: I think I am actually going to forego Carthaginians at the moment, and concentrate on some Native American concept art.

12. RedAlert

Update: I added some native americans this time. I'll get around to replacing those missing Carthaginians one of these days.

13. Mithadan

Hot diggity, I want the moundbuilders! I'll try to start up a chant:

Mound-build-ers!

Mound-build-ers!

Mound-build-ers!

Mound-build-ers!

(That should be enough, any more and I'd feel like a spammer. ;))

14. RedAlert

Thanks for the chant! :D
    There's more mississippians to come, too.

15. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

I would like to see more Mississippians too.

Maybe Sandris could make the Siyaj K'ak', since he already has a perfect Eagle Warrior model ><

16. RedAlert

I restored a couple of Carthaginians. See second post.

Mississippians are next! I'm thinking a spearman and a maceman, at least, and perhaps even one or two others.

:crosses fingers: :D

17. Mithadan

Which of Sandris' new Carthaginians do you think would fulfill the requests above?

18. RedAlert

The roles of middle+late period infantry and swordsman both are and are not filled by Sandris' Carthaginian Pikeman and Swordsman, respectively. While I've made the distinction between 'middle' and 'late' periods in Carthaginian history, the truth is that the equipment I've portrayed in those periods existed simultaneously in Carthage during the 200s BC. That is to say that Carthaginian soldiers could be found in a variety of combinations of the gear shown above, as evidenced in Sandris' units, and those units therefore serve well as generic Carthaginians from that time. The purpose behind my distinction there, and the distinction between the 'early' and middle' periods is (besides aesthetics) mainly to illustrate the progression of (middle) eastern to greek to roman influences in the armies of Carthage throughout its history.

Having said that, I'm extremely pleased that we now have not one or two, but several Carthaginian units (and Libyans! :bounce:) available thanks to Sandris.

19. Mithadan

Yeah, I know it's great having all these units. I really am getting to the point now where I have too many graphics for the slots I need for each civ -- even in the cold steel eras! -- so I'm having to not use certain graphics simply because I don't have any real use for them. It's odd being overwhelmed with flavour. It's like having placeholders in reverse! Sheesh... ;)

20. Sandris

Sandris Rise and Rule

Well, it`s not a big problem to make all of the requested Carthaginian infantry units, they could be used for different time periods within the Iron Age. :)