Hall of Eternal Glory: Unit Concept Art by RedAlert

RedAlert

Love one another
Introduction

Hi, I'm RedAlert.
You may remeber me from such posts as "What's the French word for Poutine?" and "Who is Future Guy?"

Recently I've taken up creating unit concept art as a hobby, and I've decided to share my work with you.

I'm not exactly requesting any of the following units to be made. My purpose is more to provide an inspiration or a guide for unit makers. I would certainly rank these as a lower priority than the many unmade units needed for countless mods.

I've tried to make sure these are at least reasonably historically accurate, while adding a (hopefully non-lethal) dose of artistic license.

So enjoy! .....Or, not. :mischief:

Navigation

Ancient Mediterranean
North America
South America

Ancient Mediterranean

Carthage

Carthage was a city and empire located in North Africa, with colonies around the Mediterranean sea, notably in Sicily and Spain. Once the naval powerhouse of the western Mediterranean, it was the greatest rival of the Roman Republic and was subdued and destroyed by Rome after three devastating wars.

The armies of Carthage were very diverse ethnically, and were famously made up mainly of mercenaries. The soldiers below, however, are of Punic stock, and though not many, they are the core of Carthage's military.

I have divided the history of Carthage into three eras, and the units change to reflect the times:
The Early Period: From the founding of Carthage to the Sicilian Wars
The Middle Period: From the Sicilian Wars through the First Punic War and Mercenary War
The Late Period: From the Second Punic War to the destruction of Carthage.

Early Period Units
The early period saw mostly eastern influences in the arms and armour of Carthaginian soldiers.

From left to right:
  • Militia
    Drawn from the poorer citizenry in times of need.
  • Infantry
    A more well-to-do citizen with access to better equipment than his militia counterpart. His shield bears the emblem of Baal.
Middle Period Units
With the middle period came strong Greek influences in Carthage, and in, among other things, their armies.

From left to right:
  • Militia
    Like the earlier version, but updated with Greek helmet and shield, plus quilted cotton armour. Carthaginian militia, trained by the Greek mercenary Xanthippos, helped defeat the Roman invasion of Africa during the First Punic War.
  • Infantry
    Now armed, armoured, and fighting in the Greek fashion, he wears linthorax and a Thracian helmet, and bears the round Hoplon shield painted with the symbol of Tanit.
  • Swordsman
    In the armies of Carthage, like many classical armies, the spear was a soldier's primary weapon. However, if his spear breaks, or if it becomes impractical and is discarded, these soldiers can rely on their secondary weapon: the sword. In this case, this man wields the Spanish Espasa, later to be made famous by the Romans as the Gladius Hispanicus.
  • Sacred Band of Baal
    These are the few, elite soldiers of the Carthaginian army, among the best in the ancient world. The wealthiest Carthaginian citizens trained from an early age to become part of this unit, dedicated to the God Baal. They wear only the best equipment, including muscled cuirass, and are dressed in white, the colour of death in Carthaginian society. The Sacred Band was famously and heroically slaughtered by the armies of Syracuse during the Sicilian Wars.
Late Period Units
During the Second Punic War, Carthaginian soldiers in Italy would replace their equipment with that off their fallen Roman foes, resulting in a very Romanized looking army.

From left to right:
  • Infantry
    Fighting in phalanx formation, this soldier wears Roman chainmail and a Montefortino helmet - prizes from past battles. He fought, famously, at Cannae.
  • Swordsman
    Like his pikeman counterpart, he wears Roman armour, and in this case, even has a scutum shield. He wields the deadly Spanish Falcata, excellent for chopping and crushing.

North America

Maya

For two thousand years, the Yucatan peninsula and Guatemala highlands were home to one of the most culturally rich civilizations in history. Never a unified people, the Maya were divided in to dozens of competing city-states and sub-cultures. Their achievements in art and mathematics, among many other things, marked the pinnacle of Pre-Columbian civilization.

From left to right:
  • Atlatlman
    The atlatl was a common weapon: known to humanity since prehistoric times, it survived in Mesoamerica until the Spanish conquest. Although more typical of the cultures of central Mexico, the atlatl was used by Mayan warriors along with a variety of other weapons.
  • Spearman
    No common soldier, but someone of high social rank, this warrior shows off his bling. Wearing plumed everything, the spear he wields is a symbol of his power.

Mississippians

The Mississippian culture was quite the opposite of the stereotypical Native North American culture. Characterized by large urban centres and earthen pyramid mounds, complex social systems comparable to Mesoamerican cultures, and trade routes spanning the North American continent, this civilization was located in the eponymous river basin and was contemporary with the Middle Ages in Europe.

The concept art below is based heavily on both modern and 16th century artwork of the Mississippians and descendant cultures.

From left to right:
  • Clubman
    Possibly a member of the upper class or nobility, this warrior wears padded armour and fights with a large ball-head club.
  • Archer
    The bow was one of the most common weapons in Precolumbian North America. This particular archer is a native of Florida.
  • Spearman
    This native of what is now Tennessee stood guard at one of his city's important buildings.
  • Birdman
    This man is known to us as a 'Birdman' or 'Falcon Dancer'. He is not a warrior, rather, his elaborate costume and flint mace are largely ceremonial.

Olmecs

The Olmecs, the first major civilization in Mesoamerica, flourished during the Preclassic era. The Olmec civilizaton is often referred to as the 'mother culture' of Mesoamerica, due to the origins of many of the facets of Mesoamerican culture in the Olmec period.

• Warrior
    The developing trade systems and social stratification of the Preclassic period saw the rise of a warrior class. Charactarized by his distinctive helmet (appearing on the Olmecs' famous stone head monuments), he enters battle with a simple obsidian-studded club.

Tarascans

The Tarascan civilization was located in western Mexico in the Postclassic period of Mesoamerican history (circa 900s to 1500s C.E.). Perhaps the strongest rival of the Aztecs before the Spanish arrival, the Tarascans were often at war with the Aztec Empire, but never conquered by them, largely due to the Tarascans' advanced military organization and superior tactics.

• Chichimec Archer
    The Chichimeca were an array of nomadic peoples of northern Mexico. Their name is synonymous with 'barbarian', which is how they were seen by the Aztecs. Several ethnicities served under the Tarascans as soldiers in their fight against the Aztecs. Chichimec archers were known to have fought in two-man teams: One bowman fired arrows at the enemy while one spotter looked out for incoming arrows, and would attempt to catch them in his shield. They are dressed with quilted cotton armour and feathered headdresses.

Teotihuacan

The city of Teotihuacan, already ancient by the time of the Aztecs, was known to them as the 'City of the Gods'. Sitting close to Lake Texcoco in the Valley of Mexico; what was once one of the largest cities in the world reached its peak during the time of the Roman Empire in the Old World. The city's influence spread throughout Mesoamerica, even playing an important role in the Maya region at the height of their civilization.

• Eagle Warrior
    The Eagle seems to have been one of the most important animals in the culture of Teotihuacan. This man is an elite soldier in the army of the mysterious Siyaj K'ak', who led an expedition into the heart of the Maya where he conquered, interfered with internal politics, and replaced local rulers. This warrior's costume is designed to be impressive, and strapped on his back is a large mirror-like shield of pyrite.

Toltecs

Preceding the Aztecs as the dominant culture in Central Mexico during the 900s to 1100s C.E.; the Toltecs were admired for their culture by the Aztecs, who claimed descent from them.

• Atlantes Warrior
    Giant statues in the main Toltec city of Tula take the form of warriors of an almost god-like quality. This man is elaborately dressed, with feathered helmet and a large butterfly piece adorning his chest. Depicted with a variety of weapons, this soldier in particular fights with the atlatl.

South America

Chimu

In existance towards the end of the pre-Columbian period, the Chimu state was the last great power in the way of Incan dominance of the Andes. Underscoring the opposition of Chimu to Inca is an interesting feature of the states' respective religions: While the Inca worshiped the sun as the giver of life, the desert-dwelling Chimu viewed the harsh solar rays much less favourably. Instead, the moon occupied the central position in Chimu mythology.

• Si Warrior
    The Chimu civilization formed out of the ruins of that of the Moche, and Chimu culture draws heavily on their predecessors'. The resemblance of this soldier to Moche warriors is therefore unsurprising. His metallic apparel, evidence of the skill of Chimu artisans, was perhaps more decorative than practical. His large mace, on the other hand, would be used to devastating effect.

Huari

The Huari, or Wari, were the first great empire of the Andes. One of the dominant cultures in the area during the Middle Horizon (~600 - 1000 C.E.), many of the features considered hallmarks of the later Incan civilization (an extensive road network, for example) in fact originated during the Huari hegemony.

• Warrior
    The prevalence of often complex patterns in Andean styles, most prominent in clothing, but often in facial paint and elsewhere, is evidenced here with this warrior. He goes into battle in style, with large shield and copper axe.

Inca

The city-state of Cuzco rose in less than a century to become the most extensive empire in the Americas prior to the arrival of Europeans. The Incas united the various cultures of the Andes under a new order. This is due in no small part to the Incan military, which was perhaps unmatched in power and organization up to that point in the new world.

From left to right:
  • Slinger
    One of the weapons most associated with the Inca is the sling. Indeed, this was a common weapon throughout the Andes. Incan slingers would pepper the enemy before close-combat troops moved in for the kill.
  • Archer
    Less common than the sling, but still important, was the bow. The quality of the soldier's helmet (wood with copper) and his padded wool armour were indicative of rank.

I hope it's alright for me to post... :sad:

These models look really nice. I think I will definitely have some use for them, and once I get my current porjects out of the way, I could definitely see myself making a Carthaginian unit pack. Besides, it's badly needed so it should be very important for certain mods. I have some really nice ideas already floating around in my head (i.e. which props and so forth to use).

Hi :).
I replaced most of the images missing since the hacker attack. There are a few not up, but those may have to wait a while.

I hope it's alright for me to post... :sad:

It is. :)

These models look really nice. I think I will definitely have some use for them, and once I get my current porjects out of the way, I could definitely see myself making a Carthaginian unit pack. Besides, it's badly needed so it should be very important for certain mods. I have some really nice ideas already floating around in my head (i.e. which props and so forth to use).

Thank you! I'm happy to hear you are considering making some Carthaginians.
I've had a look through your unit preview thread; you, my friend, have talent! :eek:

I think RFRE is smiling right about know! :D

:goodjob:

Thanks! You know, I hadn't even thought of RFRE when I was drawing these, but all the better if these units (if made) could find places in mods like pinktilapia's

Boy, am I glad this thread got bumped. I had no idea it existed! :(

Wasn't the Carthaginian Sacred Band largely a cavalry force?

Hi Mithadan,
The Carthaginian Sacred Band is generally regarded to have been an infantry unit, composed of around 2500 men and fighting in phalanx formation. However, there was supposedly also a cavalry counterpart, dedicated to Ashtarte, which I intend to draw later on.

Dang it, I'll have to revise my personal mod then. :blush:

For the record, here's where I got my hack-kneed idea:
"During its early history Carthage had only a citizen militia for defense, raised in time of need and disbanded as soon as that need disappeared. After the 5th century B.C. there was no longer any such militia, and the only military personnel of Carthaginian birth were some 2,500 young men drawn from the best families who formed the Sacred Band, an élite cavalry corps which also served as a training unit for the officers who commanded all other parts of the armed forces. All other Phonecian cities were forbidden to posess military forces of their own and were totally dependent on Carthage for protection."
--Terence Wise, Armies of the Carthaginian Wars 265-146 BC (Oxford: Osprey, 1982), p. 7.
I guess that's what I guess for relying on a single, 26-year-old source!

Dang it, I'll have to revise my personal mod then. :blush:

For the record, here's where I got my hack-kneed idea:I guess that's what I guess for relying on a single, 26-year-old source!

Well, I wouldn't count out age too quickly, my sources are about 2000 years old. ;)
I do find it odd to find some sources mention a Sacred Band infantry or cavalry, but make no mention of the other. (Wikipedia mentions both, though.) Still, it occurs to me that Osprey would know their stuff, and that's not the only place I hear of a Sacred Band cavalry.
Regardless, the Carthaginian nobility often served as cavalry. Sacred Band cavalry or not, I doubt they would have differed very greatly. So my eventual drawing can represent both.

Thanks for bringing this up, it's a very interesting topic. :)

----------------------

Edit: I think I am actually going to forego Carthaginians at the moment, and concentrate on some Native American concept art.

Update: I added some native americans this time. I'll get around to replacing those missing Carthaginians one of these days.

Hot diggity, I want the moundbuilders! I'll try to start up a chant:

Mound-build-ers!

Mound-build-ers!

Mound-build-ers!

Mound-build-ers!

(That should be enough, any more and I'd feel like a spammer. ;))

Thanks for the chant! :D
There's more mississippians to come, too.

I restored a couple of Carthaginians. See second post.

I would like to see more Mississippians too.

Mississippians are next! I'm thinking a spearman and a maceman, at least, and perhaps even one or two others.

Maybe Sandris could make the Siyaj K'ak', since he already has a perfect Eagle Warrior model ><

:crosses fingers: :D

Which of Sandris' new Carthaginians do you think would fulfill the requests above?

The roles of middle+late period infantry and swordsman both are and are not filled by Sandris' Carthaginian Pikeman and Swordsman, respectively. While I've made the distinction between 'middle' and 'late' periods in Carthaginian history, the truth is that the equipment I've portrayed in those periods existed simultaneously in Carthage during the 200s BC. That is to say that Carthaginian soldiers could be found in a variety of combinations of the gear shown above, as evidenced in Sandris' units, and those units therefore serve well as generic Carthaginians from that time. The purpose behind my distinction there, and the distinction between the 'early' and middle' periods is (besides aesthetics) mainly to illustrate the progression of (middle) eastern to greek to roman influences in the armies of Carthage throughout its history.

Having said that, I'm extremely pleased that we now have not one or two, but several Carthaginian units (and Libyans! :bounce:) available thanks to Sandris.

Yeah, I know it's great having all these units. I really am getting to the point now where I have too many graphics for the slots I need for each civ -- even in the cold steel eras! -- so I'm having to not use certain graphics simply because I don't have any real use for them. It's odd being overwhelmed with flavour. It's like having placeholders in reverse! Sheesh... ;)

Well, it`s not a big problem to make all of the requested Carthaginian infantry units, they could be used for different time periods within the Iron Age. :)

Top Bottom