1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hall of Thundering Hooves

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by blastoidstalker, Apr 7, 2008.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

DaveShack carefully studies all the horses, searching for hidden strengths and weaknesses, thinking ahead to the needs of the upcoming race. Then he stands in one place for a while, swaying gently with his eyes closed. Just as an onlooker whispers to another "did he fall asleep", he opens his eyes, turns to the race organizer and says,

I'll take Scarn.

2. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I will take Black Wind then.

3. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Grey Wind for me.

4. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

I would like Firefly.

5. blastoidstalker

blastoidstalker The Geographer

Horsesa selected

Duke Blackstone- Hazel Eyes
    DaveShack - Scarn
    Lord Civius - Black Wind
    Vandal Warlord - Grey Wind
    CivPlayah- Firefly
    Aluminumknight- Pawney

All Racers musat give me orders for the first quarter of the race

You options
    To push Your horse hard
    Run with the pack
    Stay back.

The harder you poush the faster you will go but you will expend more endurance. You can either give these orders openly or you can PM me your instructions. I need these orders before the end of monday GMT.

6. Duke Blackstone

Duke Blackstone John Marchman

Fall back... (ten caricters)

7. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

Ha, I got to pick last but still got the horse I wanted...

8. blastoidstalker

The contestants are lined up along the outer wall of the pasture, Duke Blackstone upon wild and fiery hazel eyes, Dave Shack upon the rugged warrior Scarn, Lord Civius upon the midnight svelte legs of Blackwind, Vandal Warlord upon the solid shoulders of Grey wind, Civplayah upon the playful firefly and last but not least Aluminum knight on the short and sturdy legs of Pawney.

Clydus comes before them on the great white stallion Anon and announces the race is set to begin. He lifts his whip high into the air and brings it down in a crack that echoes across the hills.

And they are off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a moment Pawney jumps to the front, eager and ready to run, but after a few strides it becomes apparent that Blackwind has been born to run as he strides to the lead, with Lord Civius hanging on for dear life. Soon the pack passes Pawney as well, but the spirited mare fights on and follows them to the first turn. As the pack approaches the first turn Grey wind make a slight stumble nearly throwing Vandal from his back. But the agile vandal hangs on and pushes himself back to the front of the pack.

At the quarter Blackwind with ease and grace has pushed Lord Civius into the lead, a full two horse lengths in front of the pack. Blackwind still looks strong but the veins on his legs are bulging an early sign of tiring. Leading the pack is Vandal on Grey Wind just a head in front of Dave Shack on Scarn. Both horses look strong, though vandal looks shaky in the saddle. A horse length behind comes Civplayah on Firefly who is a nose in front of The Duke of Hazel Eyes, who seems to be easing into the race. Both horses look strong. Finally three horse lengths behind the pack is Aluminum knight riding Pawney, moving her little legs with a grim determination.

It is now time to give orders for the second quarter of the race.
    To fall back
    To ride steady
    To push hard!

I will play the next turn around Wednesday noon GMT

9. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Stay steady, Firefly, stay steady! Our time will come. But for now, ride steady, ride steady!

10. Duke Blackstone

Staying steady.....

11. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Ride like the wind............

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Steady .

13. blastoidstalker

The Second Quarter of the race

Places after first turn
    The horses move out of the first turn with Lord Civius on Black Wind holding a two horse length lead over Vandal Warlord on Grey Wind and DaveShack on Scarn. About a horse length back of them comes Civ-Playah on Firefly and Duke Blackstone on Hazel eyes. Running a few horse lengths behind the pack is Pawnee and Aluminum Knight.

The Back Straightaway
    As the horse move out of the turn Hazel Eyes and Grey Wind both pick up the pace while Black wind seems to start to lag a bit. Vandal warlord still recovering from his near de-horsing early in the race is startled by the sudden increase in speed and slides towards to side of the horse, his leg coming inches from the ground and a certain crash landing, but Vandal again uses his strength and agility to keep upon his mount and ride on, and even appear to be gaining a little on Blackwind. The amazing burst of speed though is from hazel eyes, which quickly makes up the horse length distance and passes Scarn and pulls slightly ahead of Grey Wind…… Then he hits amount of dirt and the upward jolt sends The Duke flying through the air and hurtling back onto the ground, coming to a stop bruised and unhurt. Hazel Eyes appears unperturbed and starts to munch on a bush. Duke Blackstone is just starting to rise stunned as Aluminum knight comes past on the short legs of Pawney, laughing so hard he almost falls off his horse, forcing Pawnee to stop for a second to let his rider recover..

Halfway Through The Race
    At the half way point Lord Civius is just under two horse lengths ahead on Black Wind. Black Wind's tongue is starting to loll though and appears to be getting tired. Despite his near falls Vandal warlord is riding in second and his steed, grey wind appears in solid shape. Unnoticed in all the commotion has been some strong running by Civ-Playah on firefly, who is now in third about a horse length behind vandal, though Firefly’s veins are just starting to bulge. Half a length behind Firefly is Dave Shack on Scarn, Who seems to be bidding him time and appears very strong. Now five Horse lengths behind Scarn is Pawney, still chugging away on his short legs and apeareing very strong as well. Now up on his feat Duke is screaming at Hazel Eyes:deadhorse:, who is happily munching away.

Can Lord Civius keep going and hold off the challengers?
    Can Vandal stay on his horse?
    Will Civ-Playah pull the upset?
    Will Dave Shack rise from the back of the pack?
    Will they all fall of there horses and Aluminum knight go trotting to victory.
    Come back in about a day to find out what happens in the third quarter of the race.

For the remaining players you need to give me orders by midnight Thursday GMT for third quarter of the race. Your options as always

Pull back and ride easy :cry:
    Race steady :)
    Push hard!!! :aargh:

14. Duke Blackstone

When duke finaly manages to get back on hazeleyes, he is by far in last place. He throws of the saddle and jumps on bareback. "Sprint, faster you bloody jackass. This is what I get for not choosing a gelding."- I should have known i would have gotten nailed.

15. Duke Blackstone

(push hard)

16. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

PUSH HARD!!!:mwaha::mwaha::mwaha:

17. blastoidstalker

That was the risk of picking a fiery steed. You also just got unlucky, the RNG gave you 4 in a 1-100 spread this turn, so you went flying. Aluminum knight actualy got a 6, but riding Pawney there is almost no chance that he would fall. If you did not fall your would have been in very good shape.

When the race is done I will post the spreadsheet that I am using to do this race.

18. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Our time has come... push hard! Since the other horses are getting tired, we may be able to win!

Speaking of which, what happens when you win? Any special prizes or such?

19. blastoidstalker

The winner gets 3 fine steeds. Selected from the horses in the race.

20. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

Come on baby! Keep pushing hard, Pawney!! We got this!