Halo 3 Leads Kid to Killing Parents

Clearly anti-social behavior. Killing your parents because they stood in the way of your material pleasure is psychotic. The boy's brain is to blame.

I find it interesting that the writer of the article found it necessary to say "the violent video game Halo 3," somehow I think he's trying to suggest that the game is indeed responsible. Or maybe I'm paranoid delusional.

To be fair Halo 3 is an age appropriate game for that kid. I think I'd go nuts too if I had domineering preacher parents.

I agree. I'm not all that upset about motions to try 17-year-olds as adults, or even 16-year-olds if the circumstance is right, but it shouldn't be such a common thing. I do not understand why outrage should translate to "try him as an adult".
Crimes like murder, both actual and attempted, and rape, in my mind, are the only crimes in which kids should be tried as adults. They were 'man' enough to carry through with it, they should be 'man' enough to take the consequences. Those consequences shouldn't be a slap on the wrist and community service. I know next to nothing about punishments handed out to minors but I do know that they aren't what serious crimes like these deserve. This murderer should be locked up forever or killed.

Actually, that gives me an idea! Let's put him in combat armor and give him an assault rifle and some grenades and then let some special forces guys play HALO with him. Bet he'll wish he never heard of the game.

Theres an Xbox 360 advertisement at the top of the page.
Call of Duty now

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/society

Society is what constructs our behavior, I don't believe that people just act with out some reason, cause or influence.

Thanks, I'd never have gotten that definition without your help. :rolleyes:

Of course we act with some causes behind them, but it's not solely due to the influence society has on us. You can excuse minor quirks on society, you can't blame murdering your own parent on culture.

But do individuals exist in vacuum?

See above. I'm really reluctant to deny people free will by saying what you do is what society makes you do.

To be fair Halo 3 is an age appropriate game for that kid. I think I'd go nuts too if I had domineering preacher parents.

I'm not entirely sure that Halo 3 is an age appropriate game for anyone, tbh.

I mean, I'm not going to advocate preventing anyone from playing it, but as far as I can tell it's pretty messed up.

Crimes like murder, both actual and attempted, and rape, in my mind, are the only crimes in which kids should be tried as adults. They were 'man' enough to carry through with it, they should be 'man' enough to take the consequences. Those consequences shouldn't be a slap on the wrist and community service. I know next to nothing about punishments handed out to minors but I do know that they aren't what serious crimes like these deserve. This murderer should be locked up forever or killed.

Actually, that gives me an idea! Let's put him in combat armor and give him an assault rifle and some grenades and then let some special forces guys play HALO with him. Bet he'll wish he never heard of the game.

What about... change the law? So you don't have to try him as an adult, so that when you try him as a child, the consequences are severe enough. Rather than keep bending the law, fix it.

\You can excuse minor quirks on society, you can't blame murdering your own parent on culture.

you can say that society has lead us to believe we are entitled to anything and you can also say societal expectations and pressures can alter what you choose to do with your free will.

See above. I'm really reluctant to deny people free will by saying what you do is what society makes you do.

If we're going to turn away from the fact that we are collectively to blame for the circumstances surrounding the killing, then we're certainly going to get repeat occurrences. Sure, punish the kid, but don't forget to look in the mirror.

This is clearly the game manufacturers fault. Not only could they anticipate that some psychotic kid who'd never even played their game would kill his own parents over it, they could also anticipate that the ******ation of his motor skills through playing such games over the years would lead to him botching the first shot. If not for the manufacturers of Halo 3, not only would this kid not be a murderer, he'd also be a significantly better marksman. And that's the real crime here.

This is clearly the game manufacturers fault. Not only could they anticipate that some psychotic kid who'd never even played their game would kill his own parents over it, they could also anticipate that the ******ation of his motor skills through playing such games over the years would lead to him botching the first shot. If not for the manufacturers of Halo 3, not only would this kid not be a murderer, he'd also be a significantly better marksman. And that's the real crime here.

:lol: The secondary crime lies with people like the article's writer, who'd rather blame the game than look at why people have emotional and psychological problems in today's materially comfortable world.

He was probably expecting auto-aim to kick in at any time.

He was probably expecting auto-aim to kick in at any time.
Of course, and that's even worse. This is what's costing us the war in Iraq. None of our troops are aiming correctly, because they expect their weapons to aim themselves.

Also, I think you'll find that Grand Theft Auto is to blame for the higher numbers of people caught trying to steal cars. The morons just keep trying to open the door, and are shocked when the doors of parked cars don't aautomatically open. They've also expressed surprise through mediums that they aren't released from hospital after dying with a small decrease in cash and their weapons confiscated.

Top Bottom