1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Halving the CTD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by bigriggs, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bigriggs

bigriggs Chieftain

First off, hats off to Zappara and all the folks who have made ROM what it is, all the way to 2.3. Anyone who realizes the scope of this mod is playing with gratitude never ending.

The late game CTD is the issue I wish to address in this thread. Firstly, if those who do not play with Revolutions on and never CTD, please make that clear. Playing with Revolutions and completing a game is also something to add, though the circumstances of the game should be noted. Memory allocation crashes have nothing to do with this issue.

When you first encounter these CTDs, you will want to save your python debugging file, PythonDbg.. C:\Users\user\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs(windows vista path). Once you reload the game all of the previous turns are lost to the file and there is valuable information there like player numbers. PythonDbg is extremely important when troubleshooting why your game is crashing as you attempt different ways to fix it.

It is possible to find how and why a late game crashes. The first thing I like to look at are single city civs. These civs are likely spawned from mismanagement or neglect and more often than not they're mad about it.

Your first step is 'erasing' these cities with your world builder. By the time this is an issue your espionage and maps should make this a non-issue to gameplay. Erasing these cities will tell you if this is the problem and you can easily troubleshoot to find which one it is and why. At this point you should post your findings to the rest of us. :)

Unfortunately, it is extremely likely you will not get a single clue to why your ROM civ game crashed.. in which case, you need to get down and dirty and never take prisoners. Create a save game with all of your intentions ready for the next turn.. now you're ready to mess around on a large scale.

Take a scientific approach. It is very likely there is a city somewhere that is making the world crash. Begin with continents.. and the first thing to accomplish is the next turn past your CTD. Once you have erased something and you have continued to the next turn, you have succeeded because the problem is there somewhere. What is most important is that you narrow down to the smallest reason the CTD occured.. and letting us all know how your game crashed. Then you can keep playing and now here is my example:

PythonDbg initial:

Spoiler :
    PY:Cayuga has grown
    PY:player 34 Civilization Barbarian State Unit Rifleman was killed by Player 1
    PY:Qarqar has grown
    PY:player 5 Civilization Carthaginian Empire Unit Infantry was killed by Player 1
    PY:City Sabratha's culture has expanded
    PY:player 6 Civilization Free Incan Republic Unit Sloop was killed by Player 7
    PY:player 6 Civilization Free Incan Republic Unit Cannon was killed by Player 7
    PY:player 6 Civilization Free Incan Republic Unit Cuirassier was killed by Player 7
    PY:player 7 Civilization Mongolian Empire Unit Cannon was killed by Player 6
    PY:player 7 Civilization Mongolian Empire Unit Cannon was killed by Player 6
    PY:player 7 Civilization Mongolian Empire Unit Cavalry was killed by Player 6
    PY:player 7 Civilization Mongolian Empire Unit Modern Grenadier was killed by Player 6
    PY:player 7 Civilization Mongolian Empire Unit Infantry was killed by Player 6
    PY:player 2 Civilization Chinese Republic Unit Sloop was killed by Player 6
    PY:player 7 Civilization Mongolian Empire Unit Rifleman was killed by Player 6
    PY:Hariharalaya has grown
    PY:Bibracte has grown
    PY:Lahore has grown
    PY:Team 21 revolts and is no longer a Vassal State of Team 7

After new world erase(continued game):

Spoiler :
    load_module CvRandomEventInterface

PY:player 1 Civilization Republic of Assyria Unit Cavalry was killed by Player 34
    PY:player 5 Civilization Carthaginian Empire Unit Infantry was killed by Player 1
    PY:player 12's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Abyssinian Rebels are dead, 5 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:player 29's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Byzantine Rebels of Leptis are dead, 0 cities lost, 0 founded a city

Rev - Setting founded city to true for failed reincarnation of rebel player 29

after s. hemisphere new world erase(continued game):

Spoiler :

PY:player 12's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Abyssinian Rebels are dead, 5 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:player 29's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Byzantine Rebels of Leptis are dead, 0 cities lost, 0 founded a city

Rev - Setting founded city to true for failed reincarnation of rebel player 29

CTD erasing bottom half of s. hemisphere(dead end)

after top half s. hemisphere new world erase(continued game):

Spoiler :

PY:player 14's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - American Republic are dead, 2 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:player 16's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Empire of Holy Rome are dead, 2 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:player 17's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Republic of India are dead, 4 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:Team 17 revolts and is no longer a Vassal State of Team 7
    PY:player 22's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Empire of Native America are dead, 0 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:player 24's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Empire of Arabia are dead, 0 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:Team 24 revolts and is no longer a Vassal State of Team 5
    PY:player 28's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Russian Duchy are dead, 1 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:Team 28 revolts and is no longer a Vassal State of Team 5

PY:Team 21 revolts and is no longer a Vassal State of Team 7

Russia and Arabia are vassals of Assyria(which has a rebel problem); erased the two(continued game):

Spoiler :

PY:player 28's alive status set to: 0
    Rev - Russian Duchy are dead, 1 cities lost, 1 founded a city

PY:Team 28 revolts and is no longer a Vassal State of Team 5

Russia's erase causes a CTD while Arabia's erase does not:

Spoiler :

PY:Rebel: Can build Guard dogs
    PY:Rebel: Owner has 2 Rifleman
    PY:Rebel: Can spawn from owner Rifleman
    PY:Rebel: Outdated unit in Area Rifleman
    PY:Rebel: Owner has 2 Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Can spawn from owner Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Outdated unit in Area Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Owner has 1 Modern Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Can build Modern Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Owner has 10 Infantry
    PY:Rebel: Can spawn from owner Infantry
    PY:Rebel: Can build Infantry
    PY:Rev - Comp has 10 Infantry (def)
    PY:Rev - Comp has 10 Infantry (att)
    PY:Rev - Best defender set to Infantry
    PY:Rev - Best counter unit set to Infantry
    PY:Rev - Best attack set to Infantry
    PY: Rev - Found 6 plots out of 7 checked
    PY:Rebel: Can build Guard dogs
    PY:Rebel: Owner has 2 Rifleman
    PY:Rebel: Can spawn from owner Rifleman
    PY:Rebel: Outdated unit in Area Rifleman
    PY:Rebel: Owner has 2 Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Can spawn from owner Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Outdated unit in Area Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Owner has 1 Modern Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Can build Modern Grenadier
    PY:Rebel: Owner has 10 Infantry
    PY:Rebel: Can build Infantry
    PY:Rev - Comp has 10 Infantry (def)
    PY:Rev - Comp has 10 Infantry (att)
    PY:Rev - Best defender set to Infantry
    PY:Rev - Best counter unit set to Infantry
    PY:Rev - Best attack set to Infantry
    PY: Rev - Found 7 plots out of 8 checked
    PY:player 16 Civilization Empire of Holy Rome Unit Worker was killed by Player 34
    PY:player 34 Civilization Barbarian State Unit Rifleman was killed by Player 16

Updated:
    After continuing on for one turn after deleting the Arabians the game crashes once again without warning, even after deleting two cities headed for imminent rebellion. I'm at a loss :( Still I encourage anybody with CTDs to post any workings about how to fix them here since the only possible way it may be fixed is with data from many sources and examples.

Attached Files:

2. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

let me be the first to congratulate on your efforts and on your clear explanation of the process; this is the way it should be done, there is only one problem: once you found the problem is with a certain civ (let's say Arabia in your example), how do you know if the problem is with the civ itself, with any of its cities (building queue, units etc..), with its current research, with revolts that may be happening within the civ, with the fact the civ being at war with someone else, with any of the mods that are part of Rise ofMankind or if there is some conflict in the code between Rom, RevDCm or any of its components and BtW itself? or at least this is what I think. i can only say that I've experienced a massive number of crashes which could have been caused by any of these factors, sometimes I managed to survive some CTd by eradicating some civs with worldbuilder or deleting barbarians from the map, but then the problem happened again. However It may be helpful to know that someone has reported a CTD-free game when using no barbarians (and therefore no barbarian civ mod). in my last experiment i tried with no barbarian civ only, managed to get much further than before (2017 AD to be precise) but still got a CTD and had to quit the game.
    Personally I don't have the time to make what you suggest to do, but I can say ther's a possibility the bug is somehwere around barbarians and how they behave in late eras. that' sall I can say, sorry for the long boring post :p:p

Cheers
    nem

3. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I don't use the Rev Mod and I do not CTD.

JosEPh

4. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

With V2.3 --

I have played (and simulated) approximately 5 games without Revolutions mod on without a CTD -- large and huge maps.

It is when I have any of the Revolutions mod options on that I have Modern Era CTDs.

And I want to second the praise for Zap -- this is an awesome mod, and a hell of a lot of fun to play.

5. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

how can you play without revolution? at least, try to play without barbarians first! what if you found that the game didn't crash? you don't know what you're missing....rev is by far the most entertaining mod in RoM

cheers
    Nem

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I started to Play RoM when it was version 0.94. I still have version 1.0, 1.03, 2.0, 2.12 and 2.2 on my computer as well as the current 2.3 version.

The early versions never contained the Rev Mod and I was Thrilled with RoM's play and possibilities without it (the Rev mod). I tried the Rev Mod as a stand alone mod and didn't really care for it Because it seemed to me that it was Way Too Easy for a city to revolt and not enough balance. So after a couple of tries I abandoned it as an example of a Mod that is not my "cup o tea".

RoM stands on it's own very very well without the RevMod. To me the RevMod should've stayed as an Add-on only and not an integral part of version 2.3 IMHO.

JosEPh :)

7. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

I see,
    I have the opposite problem than yours with rev. My cities revolt very rarely (maybe thanks to great governor:lol::lol::lol:), and I love rev because I usually monitor other civ status and send my spies on cities who already are in danger to foment unhappiness and have them split form my rival's empires..I think there's lot of entertainment (and hystorical accuracy...) in that, so that's why I'm not letting rev down.
    By the way, interesting to know there are many differnt gamestyles out there;););)

@bigriggs
    any update of your research? i tried somethingbut found many differentpotential issues:civs, war/peace, barb civs forming, revolutions,etc...
    too many things.

8. Kroyon

Kroyon Chieftain

I have spent a long time customizing my ini file, I am attaching a copy here. With that and by disabling RevolutionMod and all Barbarians I have completed several games now with huge maps and 9-10 civs with a space victory.
    Other than many MAFs in the future era (which means save often and ultimately reboot the game at every turn) I have played complete games with much satisfaction.

Thanks Zappara and Co. for a great update. If and when you guys get a chance to squash the RevMod bugs then the goodness will be complete, although I'm personally not so keen on Revolution bcos I found it quite annoying. But it'd be nice to have barbarians in the game. :)

9. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Au contrare' my dear Nemesys, RoM is RoM with or without Rev/Barbs and far beyond vanilla BtS. :D

11. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

As I posted somewhere else I discovered through extensive worldbuilder excersize that rebel civs create a spy unit. I am thinking this spy unit causes trouble when it performs an espionage mission and seeks to return to the rebel's capital. For there is no capital, usually.

12. supermatt

supermatt Chieftain

Hey guys,
    in my first game with ROM 2.3 vanilla settings (didnt touch it) I am about to finish the 23 Civ map without a single crash so far. I am in 1968 and around the next turns I will win on domination.
    Thanks for this nice feeling.
    Although I think, that for some reason revolution didnt work properly, since I never had a single revolt taking place.
    One thing I notived in this game, first time for long, that the AI actually killed themselves off. Right now its only 13 civs left. Maybe that has to do with the game getting to the end.

13. Kroyon

Kroyon Chieftain

if you did not touch the settings and revolution isn't on then you are playing vanilla bts. :rolleyes:

14. supermatt

supermatt Chieftain

You are wrong! :rolleyes:

Anyway as mentioned before in the bug thread, I also for the first time I encountered some problem selecting units, as I couldnt select a single unit of a stack. I have to go through select all, seperate, select same unit type, fortify unit types until I get to the unit I wanted to...

So looking forward to completing. I will try a new game right away, to see if that unit selection thing is buggy again and maybe I will see if I can end a second game...

15. Kroyon

Kroyon Chieftain

Ah one thing I do that I would like to mention here, at the end of every game or/and whenever I add any updated mod I delete these folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\assets

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache

I don't know if it really helps but it sure doesn't hurt.

16. guczy

guczy Warlord

(can be deleted)