Hammer of the North v2 - RELEASED

As you can see from the date of the first post of this thread, this scenario has been a long way underway.

Weeks, months and years have gone by... lots of work went into this baby - the complete revision of my first viking scenario.

As with the first version, the primary focus of "Hammer of the North" is on the viking raids in northwestern Europe, which gave rise to the transitions of western European tribal kingdoms into feudal monarchies and empires. But everything has undergone a thorough revision, added a new map based on historical sources, a full-blown historically researched tech-tree, new units, sounds and tailor-fitted events to make the age of the vikings come to life. This is tougher, plays a meaner game, and is more scary than the first effort. My ambition has been to create the most violent viking scenario available.

The scenario is for Civ2 Multiplayer Gold Edition. I recommend turning off diplomacy screens and using the customized tiles.dll for the full flavour (remember to backup your original tiles.dll).

Download the full scenario (v2.9) from here :

Hammer of the North v2.9 Game files
Backdrops (recommended Tiles.dll file)
Sound files part 1
Sound files part 2

Please exchange all old files with these files.

Please post any play reports, bug reports and comments you have, in this thread. Looking forward to your feedback :)

FIX : the new events.txt in the link below fixes a small bug in the events-file, which accidently had JUSTONCE flags for some events for the Norse, which were intended to happen continuously.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attac...achmentid=92164

Screenies :

Vikings land in Normandy

Attachments

• normandy.gif
    normandy.gif
    70 KB · Views: 511
Hammer of the North v2.81 is ready!

You can find the files here :
http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ2/viewtopic.php?p=33154#33154

Futher fixes and changes are planned for v.2.9 and v.3.0 - so please give me your notes, if you find inconsistencies or have other comments. Planning to overhaul the king regeneration events once more (with unique kings for each civ), and create a new scenario ending, which closes the scenario off. Still considering switching the frisians for a new viking civ though.

Updates in v2.8 include :

* King regenerating problem has been fixed - now new kings are created only when powerful units draw a 'sword of coronation', buried in sacred stone upon the death of a king - this makes chiefs and thegns, and bribing heirs and heroes the more important. The king regenerations events still need fixes, as some texts only appear once. Otherwise the new 'coronation concept' works very well IMO

* Powerful barbarian warlords now roam Wales, Sweden, the Baltics and Eastern Europe, making life more difficult for the Anglo-Saxons, Germans and Danes. Barbarian warlords are stronger than most units, more spread out and more important/dangerous to counter or bring under influence.

* Pedia complete for improvements and wonders. May still be typos or minor things.

* Some cities have been rearranged for historical accuracy.

* Brand new tiles.dll backdrops makes playing more stylish and provides additional atmosphere to the game.

* Ravens can be built with Pagan Cult, for scouting and protection of armies. Provides an additional element to discoveries and sieges.

* New wonder "Charlemagnes Legacy" in Aachen allows shifting to advanced governments for the civ that holds the city, before the advances have been gained.

go to cdg's new site ;), they just redid everything, their old site will be deleted when they run out of server hard drive space :p

"The scenario is for Civ2 Multiplayer Gold Edition."

wah waaahhh wahhhh

MGE creates so many problems on my puter.....

but i have to see what those berserkers are up to

Yes - but in contrast to the first version, they have to be researched. And they are now 'hammers' (in contrast to 'nuke ships'). Pagan Cult allows the vikings to build 'Blood Sacrifices' (manhattan project), and then 'summon' the wrath of Thor. ;)

The paradropping vikings have been dropped, however, as deemed a bit too powerful (although they were a lot of fun in the first version).

1) Hopefully, we will start a PBEM with this interesting scenario soon. So, I have drawn a map of the tech tree (most of it anyway) and was going to attach it as a file. But it appeared as an image ... :confused: Well, if anyone wants it, I'll email it to you, or maybe try again.

2) I also have a question. When a King dies in battle, an event usually occurs - a coronation sword is created. But this has failed to happen a few times, and I can't see why. It has failed in these cases, I think:

a) The German King died while attacking a barb city (several examples).
b) The Frisian King was killed by the German King (one example).

In both cases, most of the tiles where the sword could appear were not occupied (IIRC none were).

Peaster said:
2) I also have a question. When a King dies in battle, an event usually occurs - a coronation sword is created. But this has failed to happen a few times, and I can't see why. It has failed in these cases, I think:

a) The German King died while attacking a barb city (several examples).
b) The Frisian King was killed by the German King (one example).

In both cases, most of the tiles where the sword could appear were not occupied (IIRC none were).

probably due to the 'anyone' bug, i.e. anyone becomes only the first triggering tribe permanently.

Top Bottom