Handling incompatible saves

Leoreth

Blue Period
I'm trying to make changes that introduce savegame incompatibilities as easy as possible. Very often these incompatibilities are easy to solve with a little programming knowledge, but since the adjustment is always different it's too much work for me to document that.

But now there is a better solution. Whenever an existing, incompatible save can be converted to a compatible save, I will make note of it in the Git update log thread. You can then restore compatibility by doing the following.
  • Load your old save.
  • If the game crashes, I have lied to you, and the save will not work on this revision.
  • Otherwise, immediately open the Python console (Shift + ~ with English keyboard layout. Foreign players: it's the keys that count so look up QWERTY)
  • Type "import ConvertSave" and press enter.
  • The console should provide some output, finishing with "Saved data updated to v1.13.x".
  • If there were any errors, please report back to me. Otherwise your save is now compatible.
  • This is required for every save you want to convert. Executng the script more than once can have side effects so beware.
  • Note that the script can only convert from the last known compatible configuration. If your game is older, you're out of luck.

Furthermore, I want to make it easier to keep track of when a compatibility breaking change was committed. Therefore, I will tag every commit that breaks compatibility with a new minor version (e.g. the most recent break is now v1.13.2).

You can see those tags here.

With TortoiseGit, you can use "Switch/Checkout" and then use the "Tag" dropdown menu to update directly to those commits if you wish. So less hassle with commit hashes and more information!

• Note that the script can only convert from the last known compatible configuration. If your game is older, you're out of luck.
This is only about restoring compatibility in the Python code between minor versions, i.e. from 1.13.x to 1.13.(x+1).

You really shouldn't wait for something that allows you to carry on 1.11 games in 1.13. It's simply impossible for the exact reasons you mention.

Top Bottom