Hands off!

Roman1

Chieftain
Is there a way to prevent the computer from building units or improvements that you have not selected? I constantly have to change production because the computer has started building something I do not want at the moment. I’ve tried unchecking manage production on the governors screen but that does not seem to do any good. Also it gets rather annoying when you are doing battle with a civ to have the computer interrupt and say “x is completed” do you want to start on “y”. It takes me from my battle area to the city in question and then I forget where I was or if have to keep scrolling to find where I was before. The only way I have found around this is to create a queue with a create wealth at the end. How can I tell the computer to quit messing with my building choices?

I think try contacting the governer and look at the options there or under preferences. I can't recall exactly where the option is.

You probably have the 'always wait at end of turn' not marked. Because you shouldn't be going from the battle to the 'X has completed y' message except for in between turns. Since the computer isn't waiting for you to end the turn, the turns end up 'blending together' and you don't really know when one turn ends and another turn begins.

If you did have that checked you will get all the city improvements taken care of at the beginning of the turn and then you can go and do all your battle moves.

'Always ask for build orders after unit construction' and 'Always build previous built units (or something like that)' are other options you need to look at. (don't have both selected, as they cancel each other out and only one of them is used, I don't remember which one, though)
Setting it one way makes it so that if you set a city to build a worker, for example it will automatically build another worker after the first one is complete. Useful if you want all your cities producing the same unit continuesly. (some cities as a tank factory, and some cities as worker factories, for example).

I never use build queues, so there may be a problem with using that, I'm not sure. I select what to build one at a time.

Build queues work fine, Bamspeedy. I don't use them much, one since I may need to realign my production needs based on being at war, and usually I don't have a lot of infrastructure to build at any one time in a particular city. It is useful in the lull before tanks.

Beware of queue'ing wonders! If you do, and decide you want to start it in another city, you are disabled until you clear it from the queue in the city that has it queued. Guess what - you have to check each city to find out if you don't remember!!!

Cheers,
Shawn

I just had an experience that I think Roman1 might be referring to. I had my capital (and only city) building nothing but scouts. After my city increased in size and I had a bunch of scouts running around, my city wants to start building spearman instead. After it compeleted a scout it switched to spearman, even though I had the 'always build previously built unit' option seleceted and it should have been building another scout. This sometimes happens after your borders expand, also.

Originally posted by Roman1
Is there a way to prevent the computer from building units or improvements that you have not selected? I constantly have to change production because the computer has started building something I do not want at the moment. I’ve tried unchecking manage production on the governors screen but that does not seem to do any good. Also it gets rather annoying when you are doing battle with a civ to have the computer interrupt and say “x is completed” do you want to start on “y”. It takes me from my battle area to the city in question and then I forget where I was or if have to keep scrolling to find where I was before. The only way I have found around this is to create a queue with a create wealth at the end. How can I tell the computer to quit messing with my building choices?

It can be easy to get distracted, but letting the gov. manage production is too risky for me. I have him manage happiness so the city doesn't go into disorder, but that's it. I also have 'build previous unit' checked. Yes you have to hit the enter button a lot to "approve" the build order, but at least you know what's being built. So I guess the answer to your question is to have it build what's been building.

I tried to use the manage happiness gov. for the reason you state. But I found that he would still try to manage all my tiles for me, even vetoing me when I would try to set him straight. Now I just resign myself to checking happiness (esp. early in the game).

I use the always wait and always ask preferences that Bamspeedy refers to above.

Top Bottom