Hands-On Preview of Civilization Revolution

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
GameArena.com.au has posted a hands-on preview of Civilization Revolution today. It describes how the early game plays like, the game's controls, and the graphics. The author likes the game's graphics a lot, calling it "bright and colorful" and that the character models are "crisp and clear". As for controls, he thinks they are generally easy to use but a few things such as the way roads are built and citizen assignment could use some improvements.

Below is an excerpt:

I could have easily continued playing all day but alas, preview code must come to an end some time and about 40 minutes in the game simply froze. I hadn’t saved it since about 3 minutes in so I was done.

When it comes out next year it looks like even the hardcore 4X guys like me should enjoy Civilization Revolution. It might be “dumbed down” for consoles but it’s definitely a smarter approach to the genre. It takes the elements of 4X games which turn people away and makes it ultra accessible for new players. The best part is, with Civilization Revolution being as easy to play as it appears I may even find someone to play against me.

>> Civilization Revolution Forum
>> Civilization Revolution Gallery

Seems Shaka Zulu now is the leader of the Zulus and not the Africans.

I will wait until I get a review from someone who has a clue.

Seems to me, this guy couldn't get water out of a boot with instructions written on the heel.

This game reaks of Take 2 making Firaxis produce games for consoles in order to squeeze more money out of the franchise. I hope for Firaxis's sake it doesn't backfire.

This game reaks of Take 2 making Firaxis produce games for consoles in order to squeeze more money out of the franchise. I hope for Firaxis's sake it doesn't backfire.

To me it seems like an effort to bring the franchise to casual gamers. That's really not a bad thing. I don't have to play every Civilization game released, even though I've been taking over the world since 1990.

I don't understand all the :cry:

To me it seems like an effort to bring the franchise to casual gamers. That's really not a bad thing. I don't have to play every Civilization game released, even though I've been taking over the world since 1990.

Exactly what I think, now whether or not they can pull it off is another question. But heres hoping.

Back in the early 90's there was a hue and cry in the boardgame biz about Magic and how it would wreck the gaming industry (at least that little part of it) by bringing in the "wrong element". Instead that game brought millions of new gamers into the fold. Here's hoping that this game has a similar effect.

VentiJohn:king:

That's another perspective on it. I just find the timing of Take 2 buying Firaxis and then Firaxis working to squeeze a complicated game like Civilization into a simple console game to be a little too coincidental for me to accept that they are trying to bring it to casual gamers.

Top Bottom