1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Handy 24 Random AWE [Portugal]

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by handy900, Dec 17, 2005.

1. handy900

handy900 Deity

C3C 1.22 Patch
    Level: Emp
    Variant: Always War :hammer:
    Map Type: Random
    Size: standard.

Civilization: Random - Portugal
    Temperature: Random
    Climate: Random
    Barbarians: Random
    Rivals: Random
    AI Aggression: Random

Victory Condition:All enabled
    Culturally linked starts: Off
    Respawn: Off
    Preserve Random Seed: On
    Cultural Conversion: On

Roster blind name draw provided this order
    1. Greebley
    2. Northern Pike
    3. Obormot
    4. ThERat
    5. M60A3TTS
    6. romeothemonk
    7. Handy

No using , F4, F10, F11 or any other way to find out about civs. We only know what we can see on the map.
    We can't use the V victory panels.
    No initial trade - declare war immediately.
    Only way to investigate a civ is with a spy planted with that civ.

Always War Boilerplate as we play it.
    You may only never trade when you first meet with a civilization, and must declare war on the same turn you meet a civ after trading is complete. If you see a new AI unit, you must make contact & declare war that turn. Absolutely no GPT trades allowed. If you see a new face on F4, you are obligated to declare war that turn (after trading). Players must declare war if they are exploring and see AI units, but are not required to actually attack the units they come in contact with. No peace treaties, ever. You may check F4 as often as you like to spy on the AI's tech, resources, luxuries & city count.

Discuss any move that seems exploitive before doing it with the team. Although there are not too many exploits available in AW, we’ll follow the forbidden blatant exploits banned by GOTM and RBCiv such as no "Free Wealth". Other normal game exploits such as "Baiting the AI" with an empty city to create a kill zone are an AW tradition and are allowed. Also, you ARE allowed to initially keep a city, move a settler to the same spot as the city, and then abandon and immediately resettle. This is considered an exploit in RBCiv rules, but is okay in our AW games. In addition if you need to build a city one square deeper into enemy territory just to move borders to steal a resource, go for it. We may keep or raze cities, and can keep slaves. You may whip at will, including captured cities or cities where all citizens are unhappy.

SG Stuff
    You have 24 hours for an "I got it" and 72 to play. If you need a one day extension, then mention this before the 72 hours are up. Players can work out skips between themselves, just post a message to the thread. If you can't play within 72 total, switch places or ask for a skip. We will play 10 turns at first, and possibly fewer later (5) if the turns begin to take too long.

Lucky candle to light the way.

2. handy900

handy900 Deity

We do pretty well when I play last. ;)

Same order as last game. If anyone drops Romeothemonk is on the waiting list from last game's thread.

3. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I would actually like removing the first trade from the boilerplate (not just this game). It just doesn't sync with the rest of the concept that you can trade at first.

In any case the boilerplate is incorrect for this game.

I would specifically mention we can't use the V victory panels.

One more request - Lets not stick with the same order every time. Can you randomize that as well? The reason is that with people playing differently, getting handed a game from a different player will be ...errr... different.

4. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Greebley, you mean playing after me is some sort of painful experience :lol:

I agree, randomize the order as well...and let me guess...we are Portugal, this must be an archipelago

5. handy900

handy900 Deity

Thanks for the idea to change the boiler plate. It needed an update badly.

I switched the order around by drawing names out of a hat in the spirit of the "Random" AW concept. I stayed last because I'm helping my parents move and next week @ work is busy so that works best for me.

Roster blind name draw provided this order
    1. Greebley
    2. Northern Pike
    3. Obormot
    4. ThERat
    5. M60A3TTS
    6. Sir Bugsy
    7. Handy

It's random, but we may know if it's islands by the end of Greebley's set if we are on a small island. No seed beasting the map!

6. Own

Own Grasshoppah

That looks hard, hopefully harder than the last game.

Subscribing, and good luck!

7. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Quite the opposite. I am developing a habit of only doing a cursory glance and hitting enter :lol: Not always a good idea. I have been given games where would lose a town if I did that. (actually anyone can miss something so one should always look).

Looks like I will be going first so I got it.

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I can't play tonight it is way too late.

To give the rest of you something to think about, here is the start after the units move. The start is trickier than most.

Note that one could even argue is it worth moving onto the Sugar resource to setttle - you lose that resource and get 2 whales in exchange.

Not sure where I will choose, so go ahead and voice an opinion. :D

Note that the settler is currently on an BG

9. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Checking in. :rockon:

A daring idea, but I'd rather not found a capital which could only ever work ten shield-yielding tiles, two of which would be whales. We'd also be trading a two-food, two-shield tile available almost immediately for a one-shield tile which would reach three food only with Map Making and Monarchy. I think a capital directly SE of our settler's present location, combined with an eventual fishing village just south of the sugar, would be the lesser evil. That's just a quick reaction without dotmapping, though.

10. M60A3TTS

M60A3TTS Ex-treadhead

I would be comfortable settling in place, since I don't see any other tiles in the immediate area screaming for settlement. We can use the forest chops to speed up a settler or two.

11. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

Checking in.

I would just settle in place.

12. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I decided to move the settler 1 square SE. It gains us 2 squares that are 2 food and 2 sheilds (with mines) with a third at the first border expansion.

In 3950 AD, we find a border. First game I have found another AI on the same turn as settling my first settler.
    Fortunately, we haven't gotten contact yet.

I choose to go for Archers for a very early offensive war.

We built 3 warriors (in case the yellow player found us) and started on barracks. The scout was disbanded.

In 3000 BC, we are a turn from Barracks and from Warrior Code.

The strategy seems very clear to me. Build a stack of 4-6 Archers and take out the yellow AI's capitol. We have no land with the Yellow AI that close.

Here is a final picture:

13. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

Agree with Greebley, no settlers, just build a stack of archers and capture their capital (capture, not raze - they didn't build any culture yet).

Looks like we drew an 80% water map.

14. ThERat

ThERat Deity

now that is a tough start for a change. Let's take them out and then expand. if we can manage that, we should be in good shape.

15. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ya, definitely capture rather than Raze. Otherwise we fall too far behind in city count.

16. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I think I'm going to have to pass on this one. Romeo can have my slot.

My band had a meeting today and we're going to buy studio time in February to record a CD. A great deal of my time is probably going to be spent with music.

Good luck. I will be lurking.

17. ThERat

ThERat Deity

that sounds great Bugs
    so what part of the :band: are you? and what type of music...anyway good luck and success!

18. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Best of luck. Remember, when you make it big, you don't have to date Pamela Anderson--it's optional. :D

19. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

20. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

3000 (0): Research down to 30%, WC still due this turn.

Lisbon barracks --> archer.

Warrior Code --> Bronze Working, due in fourteen turns at 100%.

An English warrior--i.e, not a unit from the yellow civ--comes into view, and I declare war. This may be a short game.

2850 (3): Lisbon archer --> archer.

2710 (6): Lisbon archer --> archer. Every time we build a unit I have to cut the science rate 10% and Bronze Working recedes into the future, unfortunately.

2590 (9): Lisbon archer --> archer.

2550 (10): Development of Lisbon's oasis tile is complete. I'll leave our worker with his movement so that the next player can choose the project that suits his taste. Chopping down forests immediately to speed up archers is obviously a tempting idea, but not terribly efficient, since we'd then be building them for 24 shields.

We have three archers. I don't think we should move on the yellow capital until we have six.

The best news is that we still aren't at war with the yellow civ, and we've only seen the one English unit.