1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hannibal (Archipelago Immortal series)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by obsolete, Jan 26, 2009.

1. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

1 SW ftw.

Also, why the heck is there a peak in the starting BFC? I've never seen that before...

2. JBossch

JBossch King

1 SW for mega-GP farm (and yes, the win). You are just trading away grasslands (and a useless peak) for water. The forests can still be chopped when culture pops the second time. Who knows, there could be more seafood down there! (That would be too absurd!). Moai statues will help make up for any lack of production.

3. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Crab + Lighthouse = 5 food

Grassland farm = 3 food
    3 forests = 2 health

Not much of a difference in the short term. In the long term, 3 land tiles have more potential than 4 coast and ocean tiles.

4. Joshua368

Joshua368 Warmongering builder

Yes but the grasslands can be used by other cities, the clams will be gone forever. (unless there's some land hidden south out of sight)

I guess it wouldn't be a terrible tragedy if he missed the clams though, less water tiles are usually a good thing.

Also doesn't forest health round down? 3 forests = 1 health?

5. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

Moai statues can at least make the water tiles respectable, especially the clams. And given that it will be a gpfarm, the water tiles wouldn't be worked for a REALLY long time, if ever.

6. Artichoker

Artichoker Emperor

If you bring Moai Statues into the picture, then it makes the 2-city plan more viable since one city (1E) can work the +1 hammer water tiles while the other one (2W) acts as a GP Farm.

Pre-Renaissance, both cities will rely heavily on whipping for production, no doubt.

7. Divaythsarmour

Divaythsarmour Adventurer

Let's not forget the production power of a wonder economony (settled GP's).

8. Yamps

Yamps Deity

Subscribed! :)

I'd go 1SW, especially if there is fresh water. Settling 1W would bring 5 forests in the BFC for 2 health, while settling 1SW would only bring 3 forests for 1 health. However, those forests will likely get chopped eventually anyway. Moving the city further to the south would leave more space for a possible floodplains cottage capital to the north. The first city is surly going to become a GP farm, it won't need so much land and it seems like a waste to ditch that crab.

I wonder what the decision will be...

9. Babibo

Babibo Immortal

I remember having done a NE+Moai multiple times with water-heavy capitals. Like futurehermit says, it isn't such a good idea, since you will probably only work the seafood, and your Moai will yield a +3 :hammers:.

It's always a lot of satisfaction to get hammers out of the sea, but if you think about it, 2:food: 1:hammers: 2:commerce: isn't such a big deal. Let's face it : the Moai are a crappy wonder.

(ok ok I'm not saying it's utter crap, just trying to stop building a city and thinking : "oh that'll be a nice moai city" until I find out I'll need 150 turns to build them)

10. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

From the pic it looks like 1 SW still has fresh water. re: Moai, the key is to build it in a coastal city that has solid land-based production tiles to turn the city into a really strong production city overall.

11. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

1 SW should have the fresh water bonus, as Obsolete is a NO cottage man/woman, it gains +6 food from farms, and 2 sea food health bonus to offset the floodplains -0.4. 3 Hills for the Wonder production, and 3 forests for chopping in BFC.

Got to remember, most other city sites will be food/hammer poor, this one is a god sent, (not a divine intervention game is it??)

The Wheat is Immediately irrigated form the Capital, post civil service, but you miss out on fog ocean tiles to the east, if anything. I feel 1 SW is the premium move.

3 crab (15 food), 1 fish (6 food), Post light house. 1 wheat (5 food), 3 flood plains 12 food post civil service. 3 hills, Moai statues for Great profit points, Stonehenge, and Oracle, with Hereditary rule it whip/Hammer heaven.

Last thing, IT REMOVES THE PEAK. And Future Hermit, its a small Island start, just bad luck

12. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Actually, I’ve gone very light on wonder building in these archipelago maps. I’m toying around with more forceful military strategies, but there really isn’t a need to.

I don’t know, I remember seeing two of them in the BFC in an archipelago before. I guess it’s a bug with the generator due to the excessive water affecting the algorithm?

Also, I remember seeing forests on top of mountains before. I would have thought that was illegal. I assume they can burn down due to a forest fire event, and I assume (haven’t checked) that you would get a 0.5 H bonus.

Now you’re thinking. The game sure likes to FLOOR a lot during the calculations.

I agree, and think it is quite over-rated. Lots of hammers needed for that, for a lousy +1 hammer on a water tile. And it blocks one of your precious national-slots. A simple workshop with the right civics & techs gives you the same hammer production lol.

Anyhow… all interesting posts. And now for the new story. I sat down and took a good look at it before starting and then realized this is just ridiculous. The only real strat that comes out of this is….

WHIP WHIP WHIP WHIP WHIP WHIP….
    DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT….

CONQURE THE WORLD….

I’m not sure what we can learn from that, the AI has no chance to start with, so I decided to re-roll and get a harder start. This is what we got, and unfortunately I just couldn’t stop playing till I dropped, so the game is already completed, though I’ll have to proof-read over my notes I wrote as I was playing. I’ll post them shortly. Actually the sooner the better as I have another team game continue tomorrow evening.

Turn 0

Spoiler :

13. fugazi

fugazi King

Settle in place, crank out two workboats while grabbing bronzeworking and growing to size 2/3 so you can spit out a worker real fast. Explore some mo' too! ;)

14. Yamps

Yamps Deity

So, I'll guess we'll never know where would the city go in the first über food position...

15. Outshined

Outshined Chieftain

Lol, I won't waste time with the commentary then, since the game's over already =P. Looking forward to the results.

16. vanatteveldt

vanatteveldt Emperor

@obsolete: can you post the 4000BC of the previous game for the fishmongers among us?

17. fugazi

fugazi King

Gah, well do post the results :p *is finally awake*

18. Joshua368

Joshua368 Warmongering builder

Could have at least posted a save of the original start. ;)

19. obsolete

obsolete Deity

I will post the current one, but I don't have the auto of that overpowered site anymore. Though I suppose if someone really wants/needs such a location, the world builder could come in handy.

------------------------------------------------

Turns 0-10
    Spoiler :

I indeed went after bronze working early, due to forests. The only interesting thing that happened was I popped a silly map. So at least we know what another little island looks like.

Turns 10-20
    Spoiler :

Worked on second work-boat...then decided to go for 2 workers before chopping lighthouse.

Turns 20-30
    Spoiler :

Population looks bad, but I did get 2 workers out, for speed-chopping. Should be worth it.

Turns 30-40
    Spoiler :

With only 2 hills to mine, I think I’m doing ok. I just may be able to get TGL before turn 50, and I’ll grow some food at the same time to whip at the end.

Turns 40-50

Spoiler :

At turn 44 I put my last hammer in. Very good timing I think?

Turns 50-60
    Spoiler :

Planting down my SE I City.

Turns 60-70

Spoiler :

Founding Fish-Cove City, though I could have named it SE II haha.

Turns 70-80
    Spoiler :

Founded Igloo city on this patch of ice, haha. It won’t do anything though until shortly after Caste. Also while I didn’t meet anyone yet this turn-set, I did see borders off in the distance that looks like Justinian. Guess I’ll be getting his religion pretty soon (and trade routes).

Turn 80-90

Spoiler :

Clam-Chowder. My first real over-seas trade city. We also met up with Zara, but no contact with Justinian still!

Turns 90-100
    Spoiler :

Another spot. Must find enough spots with enough production that I can get 6 decent cities up and running.

20. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

Good stuff, much more challenging.