Happy 10th Anniversary, IOT

Tani Coyote

Son of Huehuecoyotl
Yes, it is official. A full decade (minus the greater part of a day, since the original game was 9 PM PST on March 14th) has passed.

Many have come and gone, as those who stayed have changed greatly. From an anarchic world with barely any operationalized variables to worlds so complex they'd be on a resume for a job at Paradox Interactive, the community has seen it all. While the forum is not as ludicrously active as it once was (I remember fondly the days where 200 replies could be made in an hour), its small core of dedicated players seems to indicate that it will continue to endure for some time.

I would like to invite you all to relay your fond memories intermingling with this community in its various incarnations.

First off, I apologize for my Romaboo past self's choice of name for the genre. I guess choosing something on the fly will do that for you.

In terms of a game, it would be overdone for me to mention my experience creating a global imperium in IOT IV. I must admit my shift in playstyle is one of the more striking ones I can think of, going from a proactive liberal in IOT IV to a fascist in IOT IV:A, only to essentially become the neutral, business-oriented power in almost every game afterward. I guess a fond memory is how many games I'm in where Kinich and I (and sometimes Double A) are basically jousting for top power position since we all pursue essentially the same strategies. In hindsight it's kind of hilarious to me.

While I have tended to lack sufficient discipline in avoiding railroading, I have genuinely enjoyed most games I have GMed. I only tend to abandon them when I notice a clear drop in player interest. Other than the first point in this paragraph, my only regret is that I lack the sufficient time to GM more.

I suppose one big memory was after one of my hiatuses where I, one of the first openly LGBT+ members, returned to discover half the community had embraced an LGBT+ identity. To this day I will sometimes tell others of that anecdote and joke that in my absence, the community apparently had to fill my void.

Ah, and of course. There was meeting TK, one of my very first crushes. Though our participation in each other's games have been minimal, I can certainly call his friendship one of my favorite takeaways from this past decade.

For more recent memories, I certainly can appreciate being a part of IOT's unofficial furry club. The furry community is a big part of my life, even bigger than the LGBT+ community, and to see it branch into something I've been in and out of for a decade is simply amazing.

You guys are genuinely my oldest friends, and I’ll always have fond memories of everyone here- even if the forum were to fall, never to see another post.
I still remember, pretty sure it was our first direct interaction: IOT7, the Federal Republic of the Coastal Nations wanted a defensive pact with li'l ol' Estonia. :love:

And had actual logistical feasibility not been a consideration, I probably would've taken it. :p

Wow, can't believe my own nostalgic wish to play Rhye's and Fall RAND led me to check up you guys which let me make it here for this momentous occasion! Not sure how many people remember my relatively short stint here, but I'm kind of amazed that this is still going (and still separate from NES!).

You guys are genuinely my oldest friends, and I’ll always have fond memories of everyone here- even if the forum were to fall, never to see another post.
Indeed. Although my IOT days were limited in number, I do still have fond memories of (winning) Iron and Blood. Sadly I was immature back then and short-sighted, and I have many other fond memories of NES, I genuinely miss being addicted to CFC in general and the good times I had when I was a kid. So, tell me where to go to chat with some other other old timers. :old:

edit: Random chance, the person I won Iron and Blood with happened to live not that far away from me around the same time but I didn't know it yet

Last edited:
Top Bottom