Happy Birthday, Chukchi Husky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You communicate really well here. Have you considered using the internet to ask for help with depression?

Sidhe said:
Then tell them.
That is a lot harder than it sounds - i will never be able to talk to anyone about my problems. Good thing i burried most of my problems, but i couldn't burry them all.

Chukchi Husky said:
I was told it's the wrong place.

Chukchi, it's not the wrong place. There are plenty of online help groups for people with depression, and I'm sure you will be able to find doctors in your area as well on the internet. If you need help I can dig something up for you.

Heretic_Cata said:
That is a lot harder than it sounds - i will never be able to talk to anyone about my problems. Good thing i burried most of my problems, but i couldn't burry them all.

Oh believe me I know that which is why I said I asked for help when I wasn't, eventually I got fed up of being passed around the psychology circuit.

I had a wonderful childhood, no I don't know why I'm depressed, it happens in the winter all I can tell you, no I don't know why? Are you listening?

With husky it sounds like a Doctor is his first port of call but only if he is prepared, a psychologist or medication might help. But that's something only a Doctor can help you decide.

For me when I was depressed I couldn't leave my house or sometimes find the energy to move let alone reach out to anyone. I could not although I was thirsty summon the energy to leave my bed to drink.

All I can say is it helped for me, I haven't suffered from depresion in 5 years and you would not believe how much difference that makes to your life.

It's not going to be the answer or a holy grail but if it helps even a little, then it's better than the circular deathtrap of depression.

Chukchi Husky said:
Yes, otherwise I can't claim Income Support.
I don't know if I could become an author.
There's only one way to find out!

You could start with short stories and then work from there. :)

Chukchi Husky said:
No one knows I'm depressed.
Well, we know. ;) (and accept you for it)

Personally, I'd avise against medication, you seem pretty stable to be and chances are medication would be likely to be unbalancing. There are a zillion other proven remedies for depression. Not one of them will cure it outright (and neither will drugs) but every little thing you do will make a difference.

First thing is build up your self-image and do things to prove to yourself that you are indeed worthy of a more positive self-image. Sunshine in the wintertime helps lift moods, eating right helps too - try getting veggie juice (with some carrot or fruit thrown in for sweetness) from a juicebar one day and see how much better you feel than if you'd gotten a candybar. Long walks may help, just swinging your arms and breathing. Being organized helps too. Keeping a journal, writing goals. Start with goals so small you're sure that you can accomplish them and then work up.

I'm sure you know of more ways to take care of yourself and activities you enjoy than you regularly admit. Writing may have you get more in touch with some of those.

And, don't worry, we'll still like you even if you become more positive. ;)

Chukchi Husky said:
I was told it's the wrong place.
Always question what you're told. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong. You have to figure out what works for you not what the majority agrees upon as "right".

The internet certainly helps me. Of course it does not replace real life relationships but it does fill some gaps in my life sometimes. :)

ironduck said:
Narz, you may not like the concept of psychopharmaca, but millions of people are helped tremendously from it when applied correctly. It all depends on the situation.

Chukchy, a couple of links if you're looking for help groups or general information:

http://www.suite101.com/links.cfm/depression - a lot of links to various resources

http://www.findthelight.net/ - forums on depression and more (left bar)
Millions of people feel helped by drinking hard liquor and smoking pot too. Doesn't mean it's the right thing.

It can never be "applied correctly" because it's always a crapshoot, the knowledge of how medications interact with brain chemestry is pretty primative and there is no way to know for sure how a particular drug will interact with a particular brain. Noteworthy is the fact that almost all the "school shooters" were on anti-depressent drugs. Due to my unique experience I've gotten to see firsthand the effects of misdiagnosed and overperscribed kids during my life. I've always been on about seventeen or eighteen different drugs myself. While some temporarly gave relief, none ultimate did anything concret towards solving the problem.

There was recently an article on Ritalin in the Wall St. Journal about it's supposed perminant effects on the brain's of rats, causing them to give up more quickly (more than twice as fast I think) when dropped in a vat of water to choose between treading water and death (got to love those tenderhearted scientists). I can't find it though, here's some more about Ritalin though : http://www.campaignfortruth.com/Eclub/130902/ritalinandcancer.htm.

There are a million ways (excersise, diet, attitude, bonding, realtionships, sex, massage, creative pursuits, etc. etc.) to change brain chemestry without having to rely on drugs. Just because the USDA approves something does not make it safe.

Narz, I'm not going to get into a fight with you. I specifically said 'correct application' and the examples you mention sound like highly incorrect application.

I have experience with this from a professional viewpoint and know of hundreds of people who have had their lives turned from a living hell into something they could again take control over because of proper use of psychopharmaca (often combined with other forms of therapy).

Anyway, this is not about your or my experience, so let's leave it at that.

Chukchi, find a way to ask for help. Write a note, send an email, ask a friend to ask for you, talk with a school teacher or counselor who you like. There are lots of ways to ask that are easier than having a conversation with your parents. The first step is the most difficult, but can be very simple. A one sentence note

"Mom, I need help; I think I am depressed and want to see a doctor." could get things started. It appears that your CFC resources are many and willing to prod you along to find a helpful solution. What a great opportunity for you. :)

Here's a book you might want to check out Chukchi. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0449907996/ref=pd_lpo_k2a_1_txt/102-7721184-1047346?_encoding=UTF8 :) (only $1.46 used, although actually probably more since your in England, still worth it though) I have met the author and he certainly walks his talk. He helped his own son recover from autism, actually you can read about that here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...102-7721184-1047346?s=books&v=glance&n=283155). I've met the son too (now in his early thirties) and attended programs and voluneered at the Option institute http://option.org that Mr. Kaufman has founded and their philosophy has profoundly effected my life for the better.

Anyway, good luck man, we're pulling for you! :)

I also advise you to talk to a psychologist/psychiatrist (the latter can also prescribe psychoactive drugs).
In my years in university i was suffering from acute depression and was suicidal at one point. Talking to psychologists helps, although the work is done from you, not them. The drugs can alter your mood, but this can have a real effect in the longrun only if you change yourself too, carefully and slowly.
Good luck :)

ps: your art can evolve too; personally i find it very good ;) It wont be diminished in the process of therapy. As for wanting to be a story-writer instead of a painter: why think that? I am a story-writer and sometimes really wish i had been a painter, so do not think that the other side so to speak is superior or inferior; it is just a different artform, with its strong and weak points :)

Narz said:
First thing is build up your self-image and do things to prove to yourself that you are indeed worthy of a more positive self-image.
I never had a positive self image. Sometimes a teacher at school (usually a PE teacher) would try to improve it, but they gave up after a while. Whenever I tell anyone something like that they say it's because I gave up on myself, and then they hate me.
Narz said:
Always question what you're told. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong. You have to figure out what works for you not what the majority agrees upon as "right".
I used to, but not anymore. Everything I knew ended up being wrong.
Birdjaguar said:
Chukchi, find a way to ask for help. Write a note, send an email, ask a friend to ask for you, talk with a school teacher or counselor who you like.
I have a problem with anyone I know reading something I written, it gotten me into trouble a few times at school. I don't have any friends off line, and I don't go to school anymore becuase I failed and they won't let me retake anything unless it's maths, and I don't like maths.
Narz said:
Here's a book you might want to check out Chukchi. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...Fencoding=UTF8 (only $1.46 used, although actually probably more since your in England, still worth it though) I have met the author and he certainly walks his talk. He helped his own son recover from autism, actually you can read about that here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...lance&n=283155). I've met the son too (now in his early thirties) and attended programs and voluneered at the Option institute http://option.org that Mr. Kaufman has founded and their philosophy has profoundly effected my life for the better.
I'm not allowed to buy anything online. My parents have a fear that any details they put in will be stolen.
varwnos said:
your art can evolve too; personally i find it very good
My art teacher never did, and I failed that.

Chukchi Husky said:
I never had a positive self image. Sometimes a teacher at school (usually a PE teacher) would try to improve it, but they gave up after a while. Whenever I tell anyone something like that they say it's because I gave up on myself, and then they hate me.
I used to, but not anymore. Everything I knew ended up being wrong.
I have a problem with anyone I know reading something I written, it gotten me into trouble a few times at school. I don't have any friends off line, and I don't go to school anymore becuase I failed and they won't let me retake anything unless it's maths, and I don't like maths.
I'm not allowed to buy anything online. My parents have a fear that any details they put in will be stolen.
My art teacher never did, and I failed that.

From my experience are teachers no squat about art :)

Reading this though I would say counseling and thrapy could really help, having that low a self esteem can't be healthy, and your parents should really be seeking help for you if they have any idea that's how you feel.

If everything you learnt is wrong go learn something else and you can go to college with no qualifications and take whatever GCSE's you like then do some A' levels, who knows you might meet some people who like you there. I'd stop listening to yourself though for a start, or anyone else atm ;) sounds like you need a different outlook and it sounds like you need to talk to someone about stuff.

Narz said:
Millions of people feel helped by drinking hard liquor and smoking pot too. Doesn't mean it's the right thing.

It can never be "applied correctly" because it's always a crapshoot, the knowledge of how medications interact with brain chemestry is pretty primative and there is no way to know for sure how a particular drug will interact with a particular brain. Noteworthy is the fact that almost all the "school shooters" were on anti-depressent drugs. Due to my unique experience I've gotten to see firsthand the effects of misdiagnosed and overperscribed kids during my life. I've always been on about seventeen or eighteen different drugs myself. While some temporarly gave relief, none ultimate did anything concret towards solving the problem.

There was recently an article on Ritalin in the Wall St. Journal about it's supposed perminant effects on the brain's of rats, causing them to give up more quickly (more than twice as fast I think) when dropped in a vat of water to choose between treading water and death (got to love those tenderhearted scientists). I can't find it though, here's some more about Ritalin though : http://www.campaignfortruth.com/Eclub/130902/ritalinandcancer.htm.

There are a million ways (excersise, diet, attitude, bonding, realtionships, sex, massage, creative pursuits, etc. etc.) to change brain chemestry without having to rely on drugs. Just because the USDA approves something does not make it safe.

Id say without fear of contradiction that without SSRI's I would not of held down a Job for the last four years or be taking a Physics course. It's very easy to dismiss the pharmacological on the grounds that it does not help all. But to dismiss it's use as a remedy belittles the experience of a few million patients around the world, who find they couldn't cope without it. It's horses for courses. A good clinical psychologist will only resort to medication if it's indicated and then only after a series of sessions with the person, unless of course it can be diagnosed that the patient would imediately benefit from them. The medication may be crude but like any tool it's not the tool itself that does the work it's the person using/taking it. If it works fine, if it doesn't then use a different tool, thats how pyschotherapy and medication work. Luckily I just need medication some need drugs and counseling some just therapy, only way to find that out though is to ask for help in the first place or as in my case demand it :)

Narz said:

Unfortunately my condition is caused by a physiological imparement in my hypothalamus, I'm not sure exactly how any of these would help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom