Happy birthday Civilization

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
Montezuma_birthday.png

Happy birthday Civilization! 30 years ago, in September 1991, the original Civilization was released. We have followed Civ through the years, loved every installement, and we are still here, waiting for the next title to come. Congratulations, and let's hope for 30 years of more turns!

See also our birthday competition here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...thday-give-civ-a-present-get-one-back.672969/

EDIT2: It seems that below mentioned sales are over :(.
EDIT:
It also seems that GOG is celebrating this birthday!

Right now you get 75% discount on Civilization III complete (now 1.29€), and 75% on Civilization 4 complete (now 5€).
They have also discounted the Alpha Centauri complete pack, now also 1.29€.

EDIT3:
Instead, we now get a sale at Steam! Civilization VI and both expansions, Rise & Fall and Gathering Storm, are heavily discounted until September 16. The base game is currently 8.99€, Rise & Fall 9.89€, and Gathering Storm 9.99€.

Last edited:
[party]

If only someone would make an ACHD or something like that...

CIV Complete + Realism Invictus latest version and the world can go down in flames and I still wouldn't notice... :D

Happy B-day Civ!

I started out playing Civ2, played a bit of Civ3 before stopping all gaming and missed Civs 4 and 5 completely.

I still remember my first ever game of Civ2. I was stumbling along, but had made it to musketmen (I think) and was beginning to dominate my neighbors. Then the Americans landed on my shores with tanks. In a very short time I was overrun, and there was nothing I could do about it.

I remember thinking to myself even at that time: "This, in the smallest measure, must be what an actual aboriginal civilization feels like when confronted by a vastly technically superior civilization." Very educational.

Many happy returns!

I still remember how I got into Civilization.

One afternoon in late 1991 I went to my preferred compu store in my home country, to see what was new. One of the guys there, my friend, was a techie and a gamer. We talked about new PC stuff, and then he asked me if I was interested in trying a weird new game that he got his hands on.

"What is it about?", I ask.

"Well, the history of humankind, from ancient times to modern times", he answers.

"And how is it?", I insist.

"I don't know..." he says... "I have yet to see it end, because when I finally get to produce an army of warriors and archers, the computer comes at me with bombers..." :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That single sentence was enough to hook me for life.

I was stumbling along, but had made it to musketmen (I think) and was beginning to dominate my neighbors. Then the Americans landed on my shores with tanks. In a very short time I was overrun, and there was nothing I could do about it
I have yet to see it end, because when I finally get to produce an army of warriors and archers, the computer comes at me with bombers
Amazing how similar those precious first stories are ...

I started on a friend's PC just playing around without documentation (who needs documentation in a world of Pacman, Tetris, Leisure suit Larry etc. ?!!). It was a single Saturday morning 'till Sunday eve session, btw. :p I'll never forget my first game, which I tried to play until the end ...

I had some cities, the development of the first technologies went well. Met Alexander the Great, was unfriendly, asked for tribute, attacked me ... game was on a razor's edge for many turns, all my units had to run and fight every turn until I finally conquered his 3 cities and extinguished him. Founded more cities, was doing great, figured out: 'just some more turns' and I would rule the world with the first gunpowder units ...

Well, next I met the Babylonians and experienced a culture shock. Short: I was able to conquer their newest city of size 2 with full force and many casualties.
And still had hope to win. If I could hold this city and never change the production, I could continue to produce there endlessly a unit, which required tech was far, FAR away (for me): infantry.

Ok, I reloaded a couple of times, but whatever I did, I was not able to hold this city and 'they' swamped me quickly with tanks.

I got into Civ in the early 00s. SMAC was my fist Civ. I don't feel so old now :D

I never played Civ I or II. My first original Civilization game was Civ III.
But having started in 2001 or 2002 I've been playing Civ for almost two decades now :wow:

:bday:

man i feel old,i remember my dad playing this game way back then when i was just 5 years old. i played a little of civ 3,alot of civ 4/5 and 6. 30 years has gone so fast.

Civ 1's DRM?

Forget Denuvo and that sort of BS...

At some random (?) interval, during a tech breakthrough, the game would ask you something about some page in the printed manual... that was it, the whole "DRM"... obviously, if you were a pirate, you didn't have the manual, and couldn't answer the questions and the game would exit.

Until you learned the game from memory, that is.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: uhu
It seems the sale on GOG is over.
Instead, we now get a sale at Steam. Civilization VI and both expansions, Rise & Fall and Gathering Storm, are heavily discounted until September 16. The base game is currently 8.99€, Rise & Fall 9.89€, and Gathering Storm 9.99€.
So if you don't have the expansions yet, then it seems to be the right time to get them.

Reactions: uhu
At some random (?) interval, during a tech breakthrough, the game would ask you something about some page in the printed manual [...] and the game would exit. Until you learned the game from memory, that is.
That something was a tech and you had 3 choices for the correct prerequisites, eg. "Combustion has the prerequisites a) Chemistry & Corporation b) Refining & Explosives or c) Gunpowder & Chemistry"

(On that weekend Sid didactically valuable made me draw the whole tech tree before the friend returned and told me, where he had his manual lain about. No, back then in ancient times we had no mobile phones attached :D)

Reactions: PiR
Back in 1990/91 I was a computer programmer. I knew I wanted to develop an empire-building game (being unsatisfied with anything on the PC market), so I started out using using Pascal MT+ on a DOS PC. It was an uphill struggle. Then Civ I came out and I knew I was beaten!

I loved it.

I've played all versions since. My favourites are III; then II and V equally; then I and VI equally; and finally IV (the only one I never really got into).

Happy birthday Civ. Roll on Civ VII.

I may yet dabble with Humankind, but not until the initial limitations are ironed out (not a consideration I've ever had with Civ).

That something was a tech and you had 3 choices for the correct prerequisites, eg. "Combustion has the prerequisites a) Chemistry & Corporation b) Refining & Explosives or c) Gunpowder & Chemistry"

(On that weekend Sid didactically valuable made me draw the whole tech tree before the friend returned and told me, where he had his manual lain about. No, back then in ancient times we had no mobile phones attached :D)

Yeah, exactly... that's what I learned from memory to "beat" the "DRM". :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah yeah, I know I know... but the (insert popular synonym for latrine here) country I lived in at that time had no chance of getting a legit copy of Civilization 1, ever... but hey, bought each and all of them after that, including expansions and what not (with the exception of NFP).

For me it started with civ 2… I dunno why I flew past Civ 1 without ever noticing, I was already a full time gamer having owned an Apple II+, an Amiga then a PC, but a friend from work told me about Civ II and how it was his favorite game ever, and it blew my mind from the first moment I played it. Then 3 and 4 came out, and somehow I just didn’t get into them just as much. Might be because I had 2 very young kids by then and time was at a premium. Got back into it full time with V and VI.

Anyways, Happy B-day Civ, and thanks for all the fish !

I bought Civ in the fall of 1991 and never looked back.

Last edited:
"Please sir, I want some more."

Top Bottom