Happy [Chinese] New Year!

cybrxkhan

Asian Xwedodah
Gong Hei Fat Choi! 恭喜發財! Chúc mừng năm mới! 새해 복 많이 받으세요!

Because Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean/whatever/not-Japanese New Year is the real New Year.

Prosperity, happiness, wealth, etc. to all, etc. etc. etc.

I hope this year the old folks give me a lot of money, I need it for once.

BOOOOOO Chinese New Year. I went out for dinner to the local Vietnamese place today and they were closed because of it. BOOOOOO!

I wanted pho dammit!

BOOOOOO Chinese New Year. I went out for dinner to the local Vietnamese place today and they were closed because of it. BOOOOOO!

I wanted pho dammit!

If it makes you feel better, a lot of Asian restaurants are open on Christmas. :D

Arbitrary starting point/anniversary in a cycle just like any holidays/birthdays.

Also the fact that Koreans get 3 days off as opposed to typical 1-2 in west, is enough incentive to keep it special. :p

Happy Chinese New Year!

Maybe this is a silly question, but what's special about this particular time, in terms of terming it "Beginning of the new year" ? I'm curious in terms of the Chinese calendar, etc.

The Chinese calendar is one of those lunar calendars, i.e. the months and years are determined by the patterns and cycles of the moon rather than the sun, so that's why the new year date changes every year in the Gregorian calendar - so it's actually the same day every year, just not on the Gregorian calendar. But otherwise like NetGear said its kinda arbitrary. I do think it's suposed to be the beginning of spring, or something, though I don't really know. Of course, nowadays, most Asians use the Gregorian calendar, but we still use the old calendar for tradiational celebrations and others traditional thingies.

Arbitrary starting point/anniversary in a cycle just like any holidays/birthdays.

Also the fact that Koreans get 3 days off as opposed to typical 1-2 in west, is enough incentive to keep it special. :p

In the good old days new year celebrations lasted up to two weeks!

Top Bottom