1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy days are here! I was able to return Civ 5!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by KingYosef, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

...except that Best Buy doesn't resell opened software boxes. ;)

I understand that you're trying to get Yosef banned or infracted for piracy, but making up fake scenarios like this isn't really helping your cause.

2. zonk

zonk Prince

I'm going to have to go back to the Steam thread and change my opinion on Steam from "loathed" to amazed...

See - here I was having these pointless arguments in that thread with people about how I disliked Steam's version of DRM and the counterpoint was generally some form of "But it's a wonderful system that so good for publishers and distributors!"

I was wasting my time arguing the technical aspects of Steam... but clearly --

The brilliance of Steam isn't that it's very good anti-piracy technology -- apparently, its one weakness is brick-and-mortar store managers who give refunds (who'da thunk it? Such a low tech crack being so readily available!).

The brilliance of Steam is that it has this ingenious method of activating sleeper agents all over the internets to go after anyone that returned a Steam-based product they didn't like.

THAT is just brilliant architecture. Anyone working in a IT security roles really ought to find themselves new jobs - because Steam has achieved a sort of perfection that no code ever could.

3. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

I resent that insinuation your making right there, you have no right whatsoever to even assume i am trying anything here.
    I am simply stating my personal beliefs and would appreciate it you would not lay an oppinion onto me that is clearly not mine.

edit to clarify : I do not want anyone banned or infracted, however i believe i am more then allowed to ask questions and put forth my own oppinion without being called out as someone that wants another banned.

4. Jharii

Jharii King

Let's keep in perspective that Best Buy has a very strict open box policy regarding software. If it's open, you can get the same software for exchange. I am not saying that the OP is fabricating the story, but it is his telling of the story, and this is the internet.

5. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

Civfanatics will be dispatching stormtroopers to his home forthwith to confirm he is not playing.

Please indicate where the OP stated (or even hinted at) the idea that he is intentionally trying to run a scam. Thanks.

Also, as others mentioned, Steam will very likely disable the key upon receiving the game back from Best Buy, and Best Buy obviously won't resell the copy.

6. zonk

zonk Prince

Dispatching?

You think that VM Steam footprint is just there for your Steaming pleasure?

Get out of your house, Yosef -- or for the love of god, unplug your modem... it's only a matter of time before the Steamtroopers materialize.

7. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

Steamtroopers. Why didn't I think of that!

8. testdummy653

testdummy653 Prince

Wow, all this noise and what have we accomplished? hmm...

Its everyone fault. Best Buy employee for taking the product back.
    The OP for buying a game without playing the demo/ researching it.
    The reviewers for not playing the game enough to get the feel of the game, and give it a proper rating.
    The readers for falling for the hype, or playing the demo.
    Civ IV fantics for being so stubborn,
    CiV fantics for being so stupid not to want it to be like Civ IV.
    Steams fault for not allowing returns and dekeying the OP.
    Firaxis fault for release a game that wasn't perfect for everyone.
    Moderator fault for letting this thread go on so long, and off the topic. (i saw aleast 5 warnings)
    My fault for adding more to this endless and pointless argument.

On a side note: I read someone say that Fallout 3 was bad and buggy.... I think it has to do with his language settings, maybe he couldn't read French.

9. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Sure I do - I can assume whatever I please. :)

And it wasn't an insinuation, it was an outright statement. I wasn't exactly beating around the bush. ;)

I'm actually surprised you're so upset that I mentioned it; I thought it was fairly obvious, but I guess I'm wholly mistaken. My apologies. I'll take your word that your intentions are much purer than they seem. Take care!

10. zonk

zonk Prince

Oh sure....

You just absolve the Steamtroopers because they were just following orders?

11. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

...and what game will you be using your store credit to buy? Odds are highly likely that it will not compare to Civ 5.

12. KingYosef

KingYosef Warlord

You are right, I could, but I won't. The game is boring and won't interest me until it can match up to Civ 4 BTS.

The point is, Best Buy could care less. They would rather have a happy customer that will continue to shop at Best Buy, than to have a pissed off customer from a bugged filled Civ 5.

I read all the reviews and saw all the demos. But you are correct, I was duped and I have learned my lesson this time. From now on I'm waiting till I hear the community feedback after release.

I did research the game and if you were like me you saw all the high ratings from the big gaming sites. How could I have known that it was a non-functional pile of trash riddled with bugs???

Moderator Action: Triple post merged. :)

13. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Excellent, glad to see a bunch more plastic thrown into a dumpster!

14. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Nice justification! So basically whats going to happen is you'll wait until there is an expansion pack or a good patch and you'll just install that over your old account and probably chuckle to yourself before making another ego-thread about how you're $50 ahead.

15. KingYosef

KingYosef Warlord

Thanks for understanding. Best Buy could care less if I decided to continue to play the game or not. I'm not going to, but I could if I wanted. But at this point I'm waiting a year or until they atleast make it playable to my standards. If that time comes, I'll purchase it again at a much lower price.

16. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Or more likely, Steam wil remove his Civ5 from his Library due to his key being invalidated, and he'll buy a finished Civ5 like a year from now at the same price as we've paid now for half of the game.

Well done KY, good for you :goodjob:

17. KingYosef

KingYosef Warlord

Thanks, yea I got lucky. I just feel for those out there that aren't able to get refunded. ;)

What point people are missing here is that Best Buy doesn't care what I do with the key after the refund. They are just refunding it on good faith that I'll continue to be a satisfied customer and shop at Best Buy. The manager made the right choice because now I will continue to buy my games at their store. Everyone is happy!

No one has to take my word for it, but I'm not going to play the game after the refund. I stopped playing Civ 5 after about 70 hours of gaming because I got so bored of it.

18. AbbieRevo

AbbieRevo Non-Voting Delegate

Wow, you make me a little rage-filled.

You played it for 70 hours, then decided it was "unplayable" (translate, got bored) and demanded a refund.

There is no conceivable justification for your refund, it's called Caveat Emptor, and you sir (or lady) have a responsibility to know what you're buying before you buy it. No one decieved you, no one made any fradulent claims about the product. While the game has techinical issues, so did many classic games from the "good old days", not to mention, they are being patched, release day CiV was a bit rough around the edges, but it was still bascially the game as advertised. As to balance issues, well you should have done the research.

Also, I doubt Steam is going to honor Best Buy's return, as it was against policy.

19. zonk

zonk Prince

Seems to me that's Best Buy's problem... and I remain puzzled why individual users should really care when two large distributors fight over $50.

...to say nothing of the fact that it sort of undercuts the "Steam is a wonderful distribution channel that does wonderful things and makes wonderful things possible". If Steam cracks are essentially "returning the game to brick-n-mortar", then I'd say that perhaps Steam's DRM isn't so perfect after all...

20. charon2112

charon2112 King

exactly. he should have tried the demo first. I wouldn't have given him his money back.

what will most likely happen, is Best Buy will eat that $50 bucks. I doubt they'll get the $$ back from 2K. It will likely be tossed in the dumpster and the OP will keep his key just fine.

I'd love to hear the sob story he gave the manager about how "unplayable" the game was...ie: he just didn't like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.