Happy Independence Day Tanelorn!

Patine

Deity
Just happened to see on Wikipedia today that Greece is having it's Independence Day today, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

Thanks, I guess.
I mean, what kind of meaningful independence is there for us to speak of, under the EU politburo...
The parade was nice though. Panem et circenses.

The problem is bigger than an "EU Politburo"," though. In the modern day, the concept of an "independent and sovereign nation" as was traditionally known is being challenged for EVERYONE by this huge social, political, economic, and digital global web of interdependence. The "butterfly effect" is much more profound today than it ever has been. Even the "Hermit Nation" of North Korea can't fully extricate itself from this web, even they arguably try the hardest. When international mega-corporations, de facto beholden to no single nation, dictate terms to whole nations, even world powers and Superpowers, you can see things are not as simple or regional as one might think.

We are all part of the same world. But we should be able to define our own destinies. I for one would rather be geopolitically aligned with Scandinavia or the USA. And trade with anyone. The trouble being (as Patine very accurately pointed out) is that the powerful lobbies and corporate entities are reaching governmental levels of influence, and people seriously have to start being aware of this. Electing plutocrat fascists like Mr Trump will not help either.

Anyway, that is my politics saturation point reached. I am going back to my Russian Utopia in CIV2!

Top Bottom