1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy LeakDay!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

Why are we all so confident about the Inca? I know we all want them, and I know South America is under represented, but has there been any other clues or hints?

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/is-this-queen-tamar.626521/
    This blurry leader portrait was revealed to not be Tamar and looks like it could be an Incan leader.
    That and South America just has Brazil right now.

Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  3. slyone14

slyone14 Warlord

Im sorry, I meant maybe it would be neat if the Zulu was a 2 UU civ and a UB, like Macedon, England, Norway.

If they do add Zulu in my opinion it would have to be well designed to keep up with the War focused civs that are currently out. I mean Macedon is strong with their UB and 2 UUs and Mongolia is sure at the top. Just not sure the previous version of Zulu from civ 5 could keep up with some of the power houses of civ 6.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, just not sure how to word it

4. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Maybe Firaxis didn't put any hints about the Inca in the Announcement trailer because they want to surprise us?

The lack of Machu Picchu as a wonder does worry me a bit.

South America is so empty in TSL terms, and I would like more representation for it, even in non-TSL games.

@slyone14, do the Zulu have another possible unique unit, besides the Impi? I admit I'm not an expert on them.

Vahnstad likes this.
  5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

With a Unique Encampment most likely incoming and Shaka with a militaristic leader ability, I think they will be more than fine. And that's even without the Impi and the Civ Unique Ability. :crazyeye:

Guandao likes this.
  6. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Very interesting how every single time a new civ is revealed there's a new civfanatics dogma on who is DEFINITELY next.

Our_DeCay and Meluhhan like this.
  7. Haig

Haig Deity

If it's Inca next week it's frustrating cause it's the one many feel most likely..

8. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

We're certain of Inca because:

It's hugely missing. Machu Picchu is missing as a wonder and/or city state. One of the new governors is wearing distinctly Incan jewelry. (I'm not the expert, someone else pointed this out.)

We're (and by "we", I mean "those of us that think Italy is likely") are fairly confident of Italy due to the plague doctors (the last "why is this scene in the teaser?" item) firm association with Black Death Venice during the Renaissance, the lack of Italian city states, the lack of cultural/scientific civs thus far, and the fact that culture flipping and cultural adhesion is literally their thing.

Marketing 101: Alternate the "we all know this one is coming" and the "wow did not see that one coming".

I suspect the Cree kerfluffle screwed up the order, because I expected Cree - Inca - Italy - Ottoman - and then ending on the Civfanatic-favorite Georgia.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2018
    Our_DeCay, Haig and Phoenix1595 like this.
  9. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

No Civ in R&F can have two UU; they've announced eight new UU, so each new civ gets exactly one. Of course, if the Zulu come later, they could get two.

10. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I'm predicting Inca, Ottomans and Italy. Not 100% sure about any of them but I do think they are the most likely.

- Inca for widely-stated reasons: we need a Civ representing pre-colonial South America and with the Maya ruled out, they are the likeliest candidate. I'm not especially bothered by the lack of Machu Picchu as a wonder: I think it's simply been integrated into one of their uniques. Either it will be used as the name for something or (less likely) it'll be a unique district. I still think the smart money is on terrace farms as a UI, though.
    - The Ottomans, again, for widely-stated reasons. We don't have a single Civ being added so far from an Islamic culture, and in addition to the geographic gap they fill, they would also work well with the expansion's theme and could also fill the gap we have for Renaissance-era leaders. The main thing giving me pause is the possibility that they might leave the Ottomans out in order to do a double DLC pack with Byzantium, but they haven't even said they are doing post-expansion DLC, so there's no reason to assume this will be happening.
    - Leaving aside the whole plague doctor thing (which I don't think has anything to do with Italy or anyone else), I still think Italy would be a great choice for this expansion. They've got the Renaissance thing nailed, we don't have an obvious culture powerhouse Civ in the expansion, and then there's the absence of Italian City-States which I think can only point to them thinking of doing something with Italy as a full Civ at some point. My guess would be they tried to do this with vanilla but either it got bumped down the list in favour of other Civs or they couldn't quite make it work. But if we don't get Italy this time I think we may well see them in the future. Arguments against Italy: well, there's the capital question which doesn't have a straightforward answer, and also if they don't get the unique district that hasn't been revealed, I really have no idea what they will come up with for a unique improvement.

I don't share the expectation that others have that we will get an African Civ in this expansion. We had the Nubia DLC recently, I can't really see the devs leaving out Inca and I also think that we are unlikely to not get one more European Civ (and no, the Ottomans don't really count). I certainly wouldn't be disappointed to see the Ashanti or Mali (ideally not the Zulu, again) but I just can't see an expansion with only two European Civs. Prove me wrong, Firaxis!

The Zulu/Celt leak still hasn't been entirely discounted, although I find it very odd that they would add a straight-up warmonger like Zulu in the same expansion as the Mongols. The Celts/Scotland I would say are slightly more likely, and could appear instead of Italy above, but I'm not confident. Italy just seem like such a great fit for the expansion. I know I'm in the minority here but I'm sticking to my guns, dammit! :mischief:

11. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I like the way you are thinking, although instead of Ottomans there could be Mali or so. It's also Islamic after all. :p

I'd actually wish for Mali with Mansa Musa instead of Ottomans, because they weren't in Civ5 and Ottomans are kinda boring to me.

Really hope there are Inca and some Italy-ish culture civ though, too.

12. Duuk

My argument against the Celts/Scotland is:

The Celts don't really fit the mechanics of the expac all that much.

As far as Scotland... (Cue the pitchforks) Victoria is the quintessential British monarch and even introduces herself as such.

I will say that if the Ottomans don't appear, I'm reasonably confident of post-RF DLC, which to me is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2018
    ChocolateShake likes this.
  13. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

If you want a "total wildcard" from Europe, how about Switzerland? It's UA could be extra defense, but no ability to declare a war or make an alliance. Kind of like Venice's UA in CIV 5 of not being able to build a settler.

I'm not saying I expect that in R&F, or really anytime in the future. But it would be the perfect turtling civ!

Pythakoreas and ChocolateShake like this.
  14. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

So far I think I like Georgia the most, I kind of like the Celts but I understand why that might not be a popular opinion ;)

I'm starting to think getting both the Ottomans and the Inca might be unlikely, mostly because I think they both have good DLC potential (Inca might be good along with an alternate Spain leader, kind of like the Civ 5 DLC). Based on the trailer, I'd say Inca make it in and Ottomans don't. My best guess based on all the info so far is Inca/Ashanti/Italy, though maybe Palmyra or the Celts will take the place of one of the last two. In any case I won't be disappointed, I'll be excited to start off with Georgia if the 3 remaining civs don't manage to take that spot :)

Greek Stud likes this.
  15. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Of the new civs, we're still missing Africa and South America. Given how euro-centric everyone complains about, I simple can't see them fill out an expansion pack without at least one civ from each "region". I don't think it's a guarantee that it's the Inca, but they're certainly the most known tribe, generally has a unique and interesting playstyle, and seems to be a fan favorite, so they certainly make sense.

I do think there has to be an African tribe too, but there's a ton of choices there. Whether they go with Zulu or Mali in spots that are more empty on the TSL map, or go with Ethiopia again, or any number of other civs, there's a lot of choices. Now, they could potentially not add one, as Nubia is still a somewhat recent new civ, but I still think there's enough good choices for it that they can find one spot for an African civ.

That leaves one more, and not really any specific spot in "need" of a new civ. It might be Italy, maybe the Ottomans, maybe a 2nd African nation, maybe another American one (North or South). Maybe they throw us a wildcard and we get a Carribean nation, or the Maori, or who knows. We've seen enough completely new civs, and enough female leaders, that I don't think they necessarily need another one, so it wouldn't shock me if the last 3 civs are simply ones we've known and are familiar with (ie. Inca, Zulu, and Ottoman, for example). But I don't know - at least it's kind of fun to not have any spoilers for the teaser :)

Guatenadian and ChocolateShake like this.
  16. werothegreat

werothegreat Warlord

Why Italy? I mean seriously, what's the point of having just generic "Italy" as a civ when you already have Rome? It's kind of silly. Now I could see Venice or maybe Genoa, but certainly not "Italy".

As far as the Scotland/Zulu leak, I'd be down with a William Wallace-led Scotland, but I'd rather see a Nelson Mandela-led South Africa than a repeat of Shaka and his Zulus.

17. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Honestly, I think a lot of the logic is that the Inca and Maya are sort of considered 'obligatory' (being in 3,4 and 5) but won't both come in the same xpac (and we know the Maya is out).

I think there's some of the same feeling with Ottomans/Byzantium (both who also have been in since 3 but are unlikely to come and the same time) - and the Dutch/Portugal for that matter.

So just based on 'long term inclusion in the series' the remaining 3 would be something like:

1 of Inca/Maya
    1 of Ottoman/Byzantium
    1 of Babylon/Zulu/Celts (which have been in the game since 1/2).

Of course, who knows how willing the devs are to shake things up in terms of 'traditional' civs, or the possibilities of additional DLC or more than 2 xpacs.

18. Duuk

This is the part that's screwing us up. Everything tells me there will be no more DLC and only one more xpac "because reasons", but it's not like we have endless history to go by here.

After all, it was only 1 full "cycle" of game releases ago that Paradox didn't do expansions OR dlcs.

Zaarin likes this.
  19. Guatenadian

Guatenadian Prince

Frederick Barbarossa also has lines stating himself as King of Italy, we should take leader lines as grains of salt when looking at potential Civs. I myself am not convinced on Italy, but they would make an interesting inclusion. I would be disappointed at the lack of an African Civ since the continent is resoundingly empty, heck I would even be fine with the Zulu, but no African Civ would be my largest grievance with R&F. On the topic of the Celts I personally would be much happier if a Gaul Civ happened rather than a Scotland Civ or a Celt blob monstrosity but at the end of the day ill be fine.

Duuk and Zaarin like this.
  20. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

EU2 and HoI2 both got expansions as I recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.