1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Mardi Gras

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by BIG_EASY, Feb 22, 2004.

1. BIG_EASY

BIG_EASY Chieftain

Just wishing all Happy Mardi Gras, we love to pass a good time, as we say here. :king:

Let The Good Times Roll..........[party]

2. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

You obviously celebrate it, so Happy Mardi Gras to you. I don't know much about it except that there's a lot of alcohol included...

3. la fayette

la fayette King

In France it is a lot of pancakes included, but the tradition has perhaps been modified in Louisiana.

4. BIG_EASY

BIG_EASY Chieftain

We eat the pancakes on Ash Wednesday.. after all the Boozeis gone. :band:

5. funxus

I thought it was an american tradition, and that's what I've heard about the american Mardi Gras at least.

Pancakes are good though, but there are a few different kinds...

6. rponton

rponton Warlord

in america, it's just a last blast before lent. New orleans, as the home of american Mardi gras has truly embraced the last blast portion of it. As an ex-LA boy, it's sometrhing I really miss up here in this cold German town of Cincinnati. But we do have a hell of a Octoberfest...

7. la fayette

la fayette King

"Mardi gras" means " fat Tuesday" in French. That Tuesday is the one just before Ash Wednesday and the tradition is very old (early Middle Ages, probably before 1000AD).
    It was obviously brought to Louisiana when Louisiana was French (which means before 1803, when Louisiana was sold to the Americans by Napoléon for 15 million dollars).

8. funxus

I didn't make the connection Mardi Gras - Fat Tuesday before.:wallbash:

We celebrate it here too then, but we neither drink nor eat pancakes. We eat creamy buns with almond paste, called Semla. Don't know if it can be found outside Scandinavia, or even Sweden?

9. BIG_EASY

BIG_EASY Chieftain

Yes, we just finnished up our Bicentennial of the Louisiana Purchase, great deal and cheap. ;)

We doubled the size oa the USA on that one .Glad Napolen was in need of some cash. :goodjob:

10. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Ah, winter finally.

You find it at least in Finland... But we call them "fastlagsbulle" because the word semla means an ol' regular roll of bread in Fenno-Swedish (Swe. fralla). Semla in Fenno-Swedish has been concerved through the Finnish word "sämpylä" which means roll.

My girlfriend whose Swedish usually complain that it's really hard to find a "Swedish Semla" in Finland because most Finns it the buns with strawberry or raspberry jelly instead of the almond paste. Furthermore Finns don't eat it with warm milk, which actually is quite tasty though it looks gross;)

But I've come to the conclusion that Finns don't eat almond paste because for one it's really expensive in Finland compared to Sweden and for another it tastes like sh*t compared to Swedish almond paste.

I just have to include a little urban tale here. There was a Fenno-Swedish or Finnish (some of them speak Swedish:)) man who was on his way to Sweden for a conference. When he got to his hotel it was late and the waiter asked if he wanted something to eat. He said thanks, I'll think I'll only have a "semla" and a beer. The waiter looked at him as if he was mad, but went to get a semla and a beer. And the it was the Finns turn to look puzzled, because indeed he got a semla but not a Fenno-Swedish one, but a Swedish one. And you probaly can think what the combination of a bun with cream and almond paste together with a beer would taste like:D

11. funxus

Semla (or Fastlagsbulle) with milk is called Hetvägg (Hot wall), but I haven't tried it. I ate a Semla yesterday though, and it was the best I've eaten for a while, but I think I prefer it with coffee.:)

12. rponton

rponton Warlord

You know, up 'till now, I've never paid much attention to other members' locations, but damn! This game is trully universal, it seems there are people on this forum from just about every part of the world (or at the very least us & europe) It's a pleasure to be a part of this truly worldwide community.

13. funxus

Check out OT, and you'll find even more diversity. Brazil, Japan, Singapore, Australia, China, Canada, Mexico are some from the top of my head.

This thread probably should belong in OT btw...

14. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

There already is a thread about it in OT, so I figured I'd let this one live for awhile here. :)

15. la fayette

la fayette King

:love2:

... very kind of you Mr MOd

16. BIG_EASY

BIG_EASY Chieftain

Yes thanks, for letting it go , I am new to the forem and placed this in the wrong place. :D

17. la fayette

la fayette King

BTW (since DoM allows it for a while :) ) selling Louisiana was one of those huge mistakes that change the world.

(Imagin what the world would be now if Napoléon had kept and developped Louisiana instead of attacking his neighbours :crazyeye: )

18. Ace

Ace Emperor

Actually, selling Louisiana was a smart move by Napoleon. He really had no choice. He was not going to be able to retain it during the war, and by selling it, he got millions of dollars to invest in his navy and army.

19. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Of course, if he were playing Civ, he could have developed it with some nice high-trade cities on the river, then moved his capital to it and bought out those pesky American cities along the east coast...

20. rponton

rponton Warlord

huh, then maybe my ancestors would't have had to come to the US through Newfoundland and St. Pierre...