1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Valentine's Day!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Feb 13, 2019.

1. GandhisRevenge

GandhisRevenge Chieftain

Big plans? Yep! Tomorrow is the release date for Gathering Storm!

2. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

To quote Tommy Vercetti, maybe.
    Interesting.

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Get up.

Go to an appointment (annual review at one of the social agencies I deal with)

Come home.

Pick up the mess Maddy will have made from tipping over the garbage can by the computer.

Have lunch.

Give Maddy the first of her twice-daily treats of cat milk.

Try (and probably fail) to talk myself out of consuming something chocolatey.

Check the mail.

Do some housework.

Watch my soap opera.

Etc.

(aka, a day like any other)

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Happy val day ^_^

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I got my gf some flowers on the 12th, with the nominal idea they are for valentine's day. But they are pretty much the same flowers I get her at random intervals anyway, in that I stopped at the florist and when I said hello they said "hi Tim...cut flowers, twenty dollars out the door?" and I said yes. It may seem that there is some routine at play there, and there is. Anyway, this bunch is pink, red, and white so certainly a valentines day motif and very nice.

I might pick her up some chocolates tomorrow since the chocolates she got at Christmas are gone. The box is still there, and I'm sure she hasn't noticed that I opened it and ate them all, because she doesn't really like chocolates. I ate them in the past couple weeks to make room for valentine's day chocolates, which will probably sit untouched until shortly before her birthday, when I will eat them. It's the thought that counts.

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Bah. Bah, I say. And I'll even add a humbug.

Phrossack likes this.
  7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

No plans for today. I decided to get flowers and chocolates yesterday because I knew it would be a bigger surprise and honestly I couldn't wait to do something nice for the Mrs. We'll probably go out to dinner this weekend as well.

8. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

We're kind of both in the low-key Valentine's Day arena but my fiancée won tickets to a valentine's masquerade ball so we'll be dressing up fancy and going to that, then coming home and making steak and bacon wrapped scallops and risotto. I blew out like my whole grocery budget for the month in this week because of V-day and a weekend event on Sunday, but it should be a memorable next few days. In terms of gifts I just got us a t-shirt to share that is cat and love themed and a box of cookies and a card.

yung.carl.jung, The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.
  9. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

No plans for the day, being single. I don't have any ill will towards the "manufactured" holiday, though. The commercial goods (candy, cheesy cards, etc) don't really appeal to me, but I don't begrudge anyone who likes it. In the spirit, here's a song I think is sexy.

A woman could put just about any Zero 7 song on to get me in the mood, come to think of it.

yung.carl.jung and hobbsyoyo like this.
  10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Sia does a fantastic live version of Destiny and it's the bees knees. The ending is phenomenal - that woman can really sing.

tjs282 and EgonSpengler like this.
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Wow, it just clicked that one of my favorite tracks on Mos Def's Dangerous Mix CD is a Zero 7 remix of Umi Says.

yung.carl.jung and hobbsyoyo like this.
  12. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

Did you get any good gifts?

I received a beautiful pearl necklace, it's really lovely! I also got this preserved blue rose decoration thingy.

And I just received 100 red roses delivered! I'll have to take a picture when I've got those all sorted into vases, I don't even know where I'll put all of them lol!

20190214-091231.jpg

AdamCrock and inthesomeday like this.
  13. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

I gave the girl from work that I like a pack of sweets , she was very happy and even blushed a nice red blush :D No I don't know what I should do next ? Should I ask her out next time I see her or should I just ask her if the treat was good ? Should I make a small talk or should I be open about the fact that I like her and would like to go on a date with her ? help ! :D

Birdjaguar and The_J like this.
  14. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Hmm. If she is "from work" it may not be a good idea to pursue a relationship. Romance with coworkers can get real weird real fast. But if I'm missing something or you just don't care, for the love of god ask her out, as quickly as possible. You're not going to gain anything by dilly-dallying and if she says no then you can start getting over it as quickly as possible.

15. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Don't open with was the sweet good. Just start with a touch of small talk and check out her body language. If positive go ahead and ask her out.
    My wife was our group admin so it can work. But if you get negative body language, back off, because as Lex noted you don't want it to get weird.

16. Timsup2nothin

There's a word for people who hold to a firm rule about not pursuing romance at work.

Single.

17. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

In the initial group that I was hired in, (about 20 of us) 3 couples ended up getting married. So yeah.

18. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

:lol:

I think it's a good rule for people who are immature/prone to dramatics. If your relationships always end with fireworks, and not the good kind, then it's likely a good idea to abstain from workplace dalliances.

A relationship between two adults who act like adults, though... barring actual policy, I don't see a compelling reason to avoid it.

Anyways, I've literally never had a bad result from saying a variation of, "I really like you and I'd love the opportunity to take you out to dinner. Let me know if you'd like that too and we'll talk specifics." Even if the answer is no, you've established clear intent and clear boundaries, and you're offering her the respect of not being cornered on it and in being able to think about it (assuming this is a scenario where there isn't a lot of preexisting romantic tension).

I don't like the idea of asking leading questions about the gift/gesture. It honestly feels weird to me. Do other people like that? My instincts say no but it's possible I simply haven't met anyone that jives well with.

19. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

Thanks for good advice ! :) I'm goona scout ahead like rah said and if I sense a positive body language I'm gonna go for it ! :D The fact that she is from work is not a factor for me and besides we work in different divisions in the same building .

20. Timsup2nothin

My view on gifts is that if they only get talked about when the gift giver brings it up it probably wasn't effective.

My view on workplace courtship is that the reason you are asking them out is so you can talk about things you can't really talk about at work, so there is nothing at all wrong with brevity and directness. "I'd like to get to know you better and when we are here we have too much work to do, so how about dinner, or maybe getting together at <fill in something you are going to be doing anyway>?" If you've just spent half an hour hovering at their desk chatting them up that doesn't ring true, so I'm for just out with it and see what happens.