Hardbuilding settlers

b7fanatix

Warlord
Generally i prefer to buy them with 500 gold, but for the occasions you HAVE to build, how does it work?

The city cannot grow while the settler is being built, but what happens to the excess food, is it simply lost?

For example, you're in a start area with good food and low production. It's going to take 9 turns to build a settler and your city would gain another pop after 7 turns.

Are the excess foods stored , so that the moment the settler finishes, my capital grows, or will i be the same size still with 7 turns to the next growth?

I'd also heard that it's impossible to starve while making a settler. So you could work nothing but zero food hills tiles while building the settler, and not loose a single citizen, even if your capital only just grew the turn before building the settler.

Does this mean then, that if you started building a settler, with 2 turns to next Pop, then work nothing but zero food hills while assembling the settlers, that once your settler is done, you will still be 2 turns to next Pop, even though everyone was starving the whole time?

Excess Food while building a Settler slightly contributes hammers to Settler Production, but you get more from working Production Tiles or leaving a Citizen unassigned to any Tile. Whenever I build a Settler I lock down Production and Gold Tiles instead of wasting my time with Food Tiles. When you begin Settler Production your Population Growth is more or less frozen in place, so yes...upon completion you can pick back up where you left off.

Top Bottom