Hardest AI war I've had, Shaka v. Gustav

Nelsonius

Chieftain
3/4 through an emperor, large, epic, continents as Shaka and never stopped warring but still had many friends by attacking the civs we all love to hate. I managed to sign a 4-way defensive pact with the superpowers on my continent and headed my army to the other continent full of more denounced leaders. The homeland was largely undefended diplomacy aside.

I shipped army of fully promoted impis, some ranged and mounted, and a settler to sweden's huge island fortress (great wall). I had no navy. Settled in the mountains at choke and upgraded everyone to riflemen They had a ton of old muskets and 2500 gold with no friends and dowed me a few turns after settling. Then sweden's UUs started to roll.

30 corleans all with double heal promo (so they heal +30 in friendly every turn with march) with the Great Wall and gallases vs. 6 impi rifles and some new Calvary all with march. About 40 turns later I'm burning Helsinki, shipping in the inquisition, and pulling Stockholm's art off the walls. That +1 movement promo really is unstoppable and my cannons had range fast. It took forever to find the proper terrain because each unit acted weird with Great Wall, some with movement promo some without and avoiding the navy on coast. Now moving forward, what was that last WC vote against world religion, Portugal?

Three movement units against Great Wall could move two hexes if the first is normally a one movement hex. It actually makes other civs use twice the movement per hex, not always one hex per unit.

Cavalry>Landships>Tanks really shine against a Great Walled opponent; I used Landship blitzkreig to great effect with artillery support. I use these units to soak up fire; and get my rifles/infantry into position.

They also can take cities as needed.

Without it, you're rifles are going to get bogged down and decimate 3 tiles from their cities ;

Cavalry>Landships>Tanks really shine against a Great Walled opponent; I used Landship blitzkreig to great effect with artillery support. I use these units to soak up fire; and get my rifles/infantry into position.

They also can take cities as needed.

Without it, you're rifles are going to get bogged down and decimate 3 tiles from their cities ;

When exactly does the Great Wall become obsolete? It says obsolete with dynamite, is this when the attacking civilization has discovered dynamite?

Top Bottom