1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardest Wonder to Get?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Zaimejs, May 19, 2014.

1. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

Since the latest patch, I've had a real tough time getting some of the staple wonders that I used to get pretty easily: Notre Dame, Leaning Tower... among others.

I am wondering if that is just me and the way I happen to play?

In your opinion, what are the hardest wonders to nab before some wicked AI snipes them? I think I'm going to start a few games just to see if I can get certain wonders before the AI.

2. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Of course its the Great Library. But I agree, ND is really hard to get and Pisa goes pretty fast too. And the Himeji goes way too fast.

On that note, I have been foregoing Philo and going to CS first. This allows you to get CI most times.

3. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

I play on Prince (I'm not very good...) so the great library isn't terribly hard to get as long as you prioritize on it. There are three wonders that I've built literally once - and not because I find them utterly useless, but rather due to the AI being OCD about building them - and they are Hanging Gardens, Great Wall and Chichen Itza.

4. Crudgington

Crudgington Chieftain

I was playing a game on king recently and the Assyrians built the GL by turn 36. I expect it on deity( so I never try and get it) but for it to go that early on King was annoying.

5. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Alhambra goes quick in my games, and chivalry isn't a high priority tech for me most of the time.

6. TyBoy

TyBoy Prince

I vote Alhambra too. It comes at a time when the AI probably has the biggest tech lead it will have all game and is on a low priority tech for me that I think is fairly high priority for the AI.

It may or may not be gettable if I beeline it, but there's basically no situation where that is part of a sound overall strategy.

7. vivalamexico

vivalamexico Prince

I have never once gotten Chichen Itza since the time when I played below Emperor
    Otherwise, Uffizi and Red Fort tend to be pretty hard to get

8. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Great Library -> Chichen Itza -> Alhambra seems to be the prefered AI Wondermonger path to me. Colossus also seems remarkably hard. Petra is a coinflip depending on the amount of desert in the game.

9. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

I've been annoyed recently at how difficult the Leaning Tower has been to get. Even on Deity, I feel like I've had a shot at it in the past, but now it always seems to go more quickly. Turn 145-150, extremely consistently.

10. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

Wonders going early is the games' benevolent way of trying to wean you off the horrible habit of going for too many wonders. Be thankful for the lesson :).

To answer the OP, Chichen Itza is the most difficult to build of the actually useful wonders, though you can just take it from whoever builds it anyway.

11. civ54lyfe

civ54lyfe Prince

Great Library/Deity level is the most widely known AI grab. but for the other high levels, i find Himeji Castle goes comically fast if i'm not going Steel->Gunpowder vs Machinery->Printing Press. otherwise known as the typical Tradition 4-city turtle game.

Notre Dame is a really close second place AI grab, especially if Russia or France is in the game. Chichen Itza will also be taken if you fool around backfilling your techs instead of pathing to Civil Service in time.

12. Astennu

Astennu Warlord

I play on Immortal. Chichen Itza is incredibly hard. Notre Dame and Alhambra seem IMPOSSIBLE.

I can still get Pisa if I manage my science and pop growth well and/or steal a tech in time, sign a Research Agreement. I always burn a GE to get Pisa then use the GE I get from that for Sistine Chapel :D

13. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Immortal players, try a different tech route. I'm playing an immortal Aztec game right now and I have CI and Alhambra. I'm putting out drill III rifles against Shaka and Washington. Good times.

14. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Conquest is the vaccine of these unreachable wonders diseases :)

15. peterw1987

peterw1987 Prince

Deity difficulty,

Great Library, Stonehenge, Chichen Itza, Alhambra, Notre Dame, Pisa, Globe Theatre.

16. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

I am playing a conquest now as Aztec... but Brazil sits on a continent across the sea with double my armed forces and every wonder and a million culture points per turn. I don't know how to even come close to fighting back.

17. candle86

candle86 Prince

I never get the great wall.

18. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

I never want the great wall

19. candle86

candle86 Prince

I'm a warmonger early on, its useful to me lol

20. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Has to be GL for me, on deity (or any wonder before theology except Stonehenge, oracle, or maybe ToA, otherwise Maya has an easy shot as long as they beeline the tech, but seriously, the ones that are hard to get are not that terribly useful anyway, I've learned to live without them)