Harmony - not alien friendly?

lupis

Chieftain
Hi guys. Something I've been given some thought:

Harmony is supposed the affinity in which you interact with the planet and the aliens for your benefit in a friendly way. However seeing the level 1 harmony bonus where alien aggression is neutralized faster, imo it encourages (or al least doesnt't penalize that much) to attack the aliens.

In addition, when you destroy an alien nest it seems that there are good chances to find xenomass underneath. This makes me think that actually harmony players are one of the most interested in going alien hunting, which to me sounds counter intuitive. Do you also find it that way?

Also, do you know if harmony players get any benefit from miasma within its city radious, besides the healing and increased statistics for military units?(which I really enjoy) Like special tile upgrades or food bonus kind of stuff?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Alien aggression builds up even if other factions attack the aliens, so that tier 1 bonus is to help with alleviating that too. Also there are still times you will have to attack alien nests, e.g. when one is sitting near a city location or on top of a resource you need.

The devs have said repeatedly that Harmony is not supposed to be alien friendly per se (nor it is hostile towards aliens). Harmony is really about humans becoming a part of the planet's ecosystem - this does not mean they are to be docile or peaceful (after all, predators are a part of the ecosystem too).

Btw where have you found info on what the affinity level bonuses are?

Harmony strives to change humans into a life form that could have evolved on and be native to the planet. Humans have spread into practically every ecosystem on ther homeworld and use other earth life forms for their own purposes as they please.

I guess I missintespreted the whole harmony philosophy. Thanks guys.

Regarding my other question, would a harmony player be interested in having miasma inside its borders? It would damage its economy since those tiles cannot be worked or improved (I think) but can provide some benefits for defending units.

My whole point is that I think players will avoid to settle areas with high miasma density, but I think it would be fun if harmony players could actually benefit from it.

I guess I missintespreted the whole harmony philosophy. Thanks guys.

Regarding my other question, would a harmony player be interested in having miasma inside its borders? It would damage its economy since those tiles cannot be worked or improved (I think) but can provide some benefits for defending units.

My whole point is that I think players will avoid to settle areas with high miasma density, but I think it would be fun if harmony players could actually benefit from it.

I think you Can work and improve miasma tiles..but as long as your units take damage from it you can't send trade routes through.

I think Harmony players will find that they can manage Alien Aggression more efficiently than Supremacy, Purity, or Non-Affinity players. Basically, a Harmony Player will be able to suffer less penalties for killing Aliens in the long run imho.

So as Harmony you can cover all your own tiles with Miasma and get healing for you units and still work and improve them?

So as Harmony you can cover all your own tiles with Miasma and get healing for you units and still work and improve them?
Yes. In the beginning of the fourth Firaxis livestream, Pete showed his endgame Harmony save in which he'd deliberately flooded his own territory with miasma to aid in defense. It did not appear to prevent his workers from doing their business.

I believe one of the Harmony-oriented leaf techs has a general promotion that makes all workers immune to miasma.

Alien Biology, which is available very early, makes workers immune to miasma and allows them to clear miasma. It's not clear whether this allows improvements to be built in miasma tiles, though.

In one of the recent 100 turn demos, it looked like the player had the option to put a paddock on a miasma tile without the option to clear the miasma. I'd have to 2x check (it was the ARC one.)

In one of the recent 100 turn demos, it looked like the player had the option to put a paddock on a miasma tile without the option to clear the miasma. I'd have to 2x check (it was the ARC one.)
Yeah, I'm not sure whether the prohibition against building improvements in miasma tiles is a rule-based one, or just a functional one (the worker will be killed by the miasma before it can finish the job). Obviously the Alien Biology upgrade would fix the latter.

edit: You're right, in the Solargamer pt.2 at 29:21 the worker is in a miasma tile on Chitin, and has both the option to clear the miasma and to build a paddock. So the prohibition is only a functional one, and is removed with Alien Biology.

So cover land in miasma, and use those cheap weaker harmony units with 20 damage when they die, sounds fun.

PAC could also use their worker bonus towards spreading miasma. I know I'm playing Harmony PAC.

Darn.

Yeah, I'm not sure whether the prohibition against building improvements in miasma tiles is a rule-based one, or just a functional one (the worker will be killed by the miasma before it can finish the job). Obviously the Alien Biology upgrade would fix the latter.

edit: You're right, in the Solargamer pt.2 at 29:21 the worker is in a miasma tile on Chitin, and has both the option to clear the miasma and to build a paddock. So the prohibition is only a functional one, and is removed with Alien Biology.

I think that you still have to remove the miasma first, like in civ v where you can build plantations on forest tiles but it costs more turns as you have to chop the forest.

Top Bottom