1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Turtledove's Great War (BETA)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by JamesNW, Feb 22, 2006.

1. JamesNW

JamesNW Chieftain

Ok, I've updated the file, take a look, and let me know what you think!

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Haven't played, just looked at the .biq file, and here are my suggestions:

1. Set the optimal number of cities to 512 for all map sizes. That way, you can use all the cities you conquer.

2. Give some more buildings the "reduce corruption" attribute.

3. Get rid of War Weariness for all governments.

4. Let all governments be able to rush build with paid labor.

5. Set the "Clear Damage" worker job to 1 turn. This is so that pollution isn't much of a factor.

6. Disable disease for all terrain types.

7. Set the "% of optimal cities" to 100 for all difficulty levels.

3. slsquigs14

slsquigs14 Chieftain

I really like this idea for a scenerio. me and my friend tried to make one of these a year or two ago, but we just didnt have the time. I have read all the books as well, so if you need help or anything let me know, i would be glad to lend a hand.

4. JamesNW

JamesNW Chieftain

New Version posted 3/28
    Thanks for the tips Serutan. I set most stuff as you sudgested, but I'm still working on some corruption reducing buildings.
    slsquigs14, Thanks for the offer, I'm still working on unit placement, so if you could offer some sudgestions for the US/CS border, that'd be a big help.
    Thanks again for the ideas, and PLEASE keep them coming!

5. Mastreditr111

Mastreditr111 Prince

ok I haven't looked at the file yet, but I've waited for someone to discover his series of books and base a scenario on them forever.

check his "Worldwar" and "Colonization" series if you plan on making more scn's based on his works, but I may beat you to the Colonization one

edit: looking at the alliances, Japan was allied in the book, because they were fighting naval battles with the U.S., and Mexico is also, as it was a CSA puppet. Also, do you mind if I borrow this map to modify a bit, I may be able to use it for Colonization

6. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

From what I remember from the Turtledove books, the US/CS Boundary was
    (from east to west), the current (in the real US) northern state lines of Virginia, Kentucky,
    Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Chihuaua, Mex, Sonora, Mex. The Colorado River
    was IIRC the western boundary of the CSA from our Yuma, AZ to the Sea of
    Cortez.

I've also played some now as US. To get that WWI feel, I think you need to
    fortify the border from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic, and place enough
    defensive units so that neither side can punch through immediately. Also, give the cities enough units so that the AI doesn't empty the fortifications right away (I think that works...). This is because I felt it was too easy to break through both south and north. Maybe you want to start everyone without artillery, just to slow things down. Also, since you are using the standard units, you need to slow research *way* down; I had Mech Inf and Modern Armor in early 1913 playing at Regent.

Misc .biq things I saw :

1. The turn increment is wrong; after ~15 turns, I was in 1936. I'm guessing
    you meant it to be 1 week/turn; that's what I wound up setting it to.

2. The Mormons were referred to as "sumerians", the Canadians as "celts". That can be fixed on the
    "civilizations" tab in the Rules. Also, you may want to edit the city name list. It was wierd seeing
    the CSA found Madras...

3. I forgot to mention earlier a suggestion that you make sure that all buildings have 0 pollution, and have "reduce building pollution" set. You
    may have deduced by now I despise the Civ 3 pollution system...

4. The city you have named St. Paul is actually at the location of Milwaukee.
    I suggest you rename St. Paul to Milwaukee, and Minneapolis to
    Minneapolis/St. Paul, since they are literally adjacent to each other.

EDIT
    5. Also, you need to give everyone enough techs so that they can make the units you are giving them.
    I did a double take when I had infantry and artillery deployed, but could only build warriors.
    Also need to set the governments to something besides Despotism...

BTW, this has gotten me toying with the idea of adapting the Civ2 "American Front" scenario to Civ3. That scen is Turtledove's WWI, but is on a North America map instead of a world map.

7. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Okinawa is in an approximation of it's correct location (127° 41' E longitude).
    Compare with Tokyo (139° 45' E longtude) and Seoul (127° 03' E longitude). You were probably thinking of Iwo Jima (141° 17' E longitude).

8. divinci420

divinci420 Chieftain

About time someone came out with a scenario of the world war series, but I think it should be done on the North American map only. Will definantly have faster load times, and besides, who gives a **** about the rest of the world anyways. Just a thought.

9. Corvex

Corvex Emperor of Canada

I'm afraid I agree; I dislike waiting an hour for a scenario to load, just so that it can include those fronts in the war which Turtledove gives only the most cursory of examinations in his actual book.
    But aside from that, it's a great scenario. :goodjob:

10. DaveBart66

DaveBart66 Chieftain

I Like this having read the series recently (great read) and now I can save my beloved homeland from the Yanks ( Canada ) lol
    DaveBart66

11. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

I do have a suggestion if you are still supporting the scenario Include a map from The city of moscow to the pacific coast ot the americas.

12. Col. C Potter

Col. C Potter Chieftain

Will this ever be dug up from the grave? Or is it dead and buried? :nuke:

Just started reading his books!

13. Doom666

Doom666 Warlord

Andorra is in the wrong place, it's only 1 square miss, but it's way too big a miss for being Andorra. Andorra should either be one square up, on the mountain square, or then it should be moved one square directly to the left, and renamed Girona. Nice map tho. :D

Also, Londonberry in Ireland is Londonderry.

14. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

Looks good, but the Mormons have their own country? O.o;;

15. Killer_Klein

Killer_Klein Warlord

EDIT: I just noticed that this thread was created a long time ago, I was so excited about a Turtledove mod that I didn't check the dates.

I have read all the books and they are one of my favourites series of books.

I agree that it should focus on North America because that's where the books focused on.

The civs should be USA, CSA, Canada, Congaree and Deseret and the English.

The English would have control of the Sandwich Islands, Bermuda and the Bahamas and could be limited to ships, planes, infantry and no tanks considering they all islands.

You might want to include Russia because in the books they do own Russia. I'm not sure who mentioned it but he was right in that it was never sold. But in the books Russia didn't really play a role in North America so I would just leave Alaska out of it.

Other nation's influence can be simulated through the use of wonders and techs. A wonder can be placed in Toronto or Quebec that auto produces an English Rifleman every few turns and the same can be done for planes and tanks. Something similar can be done for Deseret and the Congaree to simulate the aid from CSA and USA.

As for techs there was a lot of advancement during that war. No nation would have access to tanks at the start and then there is chemical weapons, advancement in airplanes (disruptor something or other ... the thing that allowed for machine guns to be mounted on the nose of the plane and shoot through the prop)

I have actually done a lot of thinking about this before and have a lot of ideas for a Great War mod based on Harry Turtledove. I love the books and I love Civ and figured they would be a good pairing but I have very little skill with modding but I am full of ideas.

If a group of this wants to get together and focus on a mod for just North America, I would be happy to help with ideas and playtest and write Civilopedia content.

16. JamesNW

JamesNW Chieftain

OK, it has been a LOOOOONG time since I took a look at this, but happened across it the other day.
    It sounds like people are still interested in this, so I think I'll pick it up again.
    Thanks for offers for help, if anyone want to come up with some good units, I'll see what we can't pull together.

I'll also heed some of the advice and crop the map down to just NA. My only question is, what you all of you recommend doing with the UK? or should I just let Canada be the only representative?

Another idea I had was putting a UK shaped island up in the NE somewhere; a smaller landmass (limited resources and cities) would roughly equate the amount of resources the UK was able to lend to the NA campaign anyway.

Thoughts?

17. wants to know

wants to know Chieftain

pretty sure you're gone by now but read the books as well, and was contemplating trying to make one myself, but now i don't have to awesome, you should make the WWII harry turtledove as well

18. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

If you, or anybody who wants to improve upon this mod, sees this post, then here some suggestions.

1: Put the nations into definite culture groups. Like say, North American(USA, CSA, Congaree, Mormons, Canada), South America(Mexico, Paraguay/Uraguay, Chile/Peru, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia/Venezuela), Middle East(Ottomans, Persians, Native Africans), Asia(China and Japan) and Europe(Everyone else)

2: Make a new tech tree. Perhaps base it off of the AoI techtree.

3: Units. Wyrmshadow made some good Turtledove units, in addition, one can look into the AoI mod for units.

19. B-29 Bomber

B-29 Bomber Prince

I would add more civs(you have enough for another 16) and cities (there are numerous open areas in S. America, Asia, etc.)

20. B-29 Bomber

B-29 Bomber Prince

The map you should use should include first everything from the equator. Then the easter limit between 15 degrees east and 30 degrees east(Between Poland and Belarus) The western limit at 180 degrees west(the International Dateline). This will allow for all the nations involved in Europe, North America, and will give you the Panama Canal. and some of western Africa.