1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Harun Al-Radhid - Manwhore.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by shattergod, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

I'm not sure if you are able to do so on civfanatics. You can always use an internet file sharing service like Rapidshare or install dropbox (http://db.tt/PjpOn8Y) and use its public folder.

I haven't noticed any real changes in this field. Some civilizations still offer all their cities even during inconclusive wars while other ones never yield a single city.

2. Greizer85

Greizer85 Emperor

Yes. Ironically you can no longer afford to accept most cities... :crazyeye:

@shattergod:
    Just zip the save if it's larger than 2 MB.

3. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Strangely enough, they traded it for 60 guilders (about $1000 in modern money, not incredibly much, but no beads and marbles either), but it was Dutch money, so the only way they could use it was to buy stuff from the Dutch again.

4. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

If Harun is a manwhore, who's the pimp?

Dat's rite

Never even tried to buy cities from anyone in BNW. They were always refused or irrational in BNW/etc, but it's interesting what you managed to do.

5. householder

householder Lord of the Fleas

Yes, I think that is the accepted story today. That figure was mentioned in an letter written by Peter Schaghen, the liaison between the Dutch government and the Dutch West India Company. However, he wrote the letter a year later and wasn't directly involved in the sale, so the account is second hand. Unfortunately, no actual sale document exists.

One interpretation is that the Lenape band which lived on Manhattan thought they were agreeing to share the island, rather than sell it as private property. The Dutch had already settled in the area, and were intent on building a fort at the entrance of the Hudson River to protect against the other European powers. It would make sense for the Lenape to want to keep their trading partners safe and available.

6. Nargluj

Nargluj Chieftain

Interesting topic.

I've sold cities in the past to the AI. Either because I couldn't defend them, angering another civ so they went to war or other. Have tried (not in BNW) to buy cities but they never agreed. Would be nice if the AI didn't overprice cities like they do with lux. res. they only have one of and is sitting on 40+ happiness.

7. Wodan

Wodan Deity

No offense but... I'm curious why the title of this thread isn't a violation of the Forum Rules.

8. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Actually, that's exactly what I did in one of my games.

Montezuma had a small city that was out of the way and I didn't want to waste time conquering it (for my upcoming DoW) so I bought it from him first right before declaring war! :goodjob:

9. shattergod

shattergod Chieftain

What's wrong with the title? If I could change Radhid to Rashid I would.

10. Bostock

Bostock King

Pepíčkova. :) (With podiums full of Slavíks.)

11. Wodan

Wodan Deity

"Manwhore" isn't exactly family friendly.

12. radster_X

radster_X Chieftain

This is incredible. In one game Persia had conqured the city of Rome from the Russians, (who had previously wiped out the Romans.) I gave all of my GPT and treasury (344gpt + 4600 gold), and he refused. I then offered to him all of my luxuries, strategic resources and cities (11). Still refused. At this point I just lost hope, and decided it would be best if the Roman empire stayed dead.

13. on7green

on7green Chieftain

I just bought a POP 5 city from Harald Bluetooth. I couldn't get open borders and sail into my city. So I offered two luxes and 20GPT and he accepted. I was surprised. He had only 2 other cities.

14. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

I remember once (pre-BNW) I sold a one pop, formerly Austrian city that was completely surrounded by snow with one fish tile I was in the middle of razing to the Ottomans for all of his luxuries, gold and gold-per turn...

15. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

YOU'RE A BLOODY GENIUS!

Why raze an useless city? Occupy, pillage every single building inside, and sell it to another AI for lotsa money! Why haven't I done that before?

16. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

Why, thank you. :cool:

17. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

It can be a clever strategy. However:

#1. Potentially increases SP costs (increases your "ceiling" by 1, which persists even after the city is gone. But it should then remain unchanged the next time you found/annex one more city).

#2. More unhappiness while you raze it. (Bigger issue in BNW where being unhappy penalizes everything, whereas in Vanilla/G&K, you can have up to -9 unhappiness and only affect population growth).

18. Yzman

Yzman Deity

As far as I remember it was for the money. War had bankrupted France and they needed the money.