Harvesting food

Lily_Lancer

Deity
It seems that if you harvest enough food, it will provide 1 population instantly, but the number of food left in the stack will not be as intended afterwards.

For example, if you harvest 90 food for a 1-pop city, it will grow to 2 instantly, but sometimes still take more than 1 turn to grow to 3. Sometimes it even not grows to 3 but start telling "lost at X turns".

But growing from 1 to 4 cost only 72 food in total so I expect it to grow to 3 in 1 turn and 4 in the next turn, with at least 18 food left in stack.

Anyone experienced this before and figured out how this works?

The mechanism has not changed since the Vanilla:
If the harvest food can increase your population by more than 2, it will only increase by 1, then left 1 food (full - 1 in stack) from increase to the 2nd pop, and other food overflow will be lost. So if you don't have enough housing you'll find it's possible that this 1 food will take 2T or even 4T to go up, if you only have 1 surplus grain (food income - pop * 2).

This should be meant to prevent you from harvesting multiple food resources in a same turn (you will suffer large food overflow lost). So if properly calculated, each harvest of a food resource (or jungle/marsh) will increase your population by 2 in 1 turn. In late game, try to harvest as soon as the population increase (so the food stack are nearly empty), the loss of overflow food will be minimal.

source link: Civ6 Chinese Wiki http://civilization6.vgbaike.com/产出

Last edited:
Also, i think (thought i never really tested it) that it might take a turn for the new values to be fully calculated or more probably for the UI to be correctly updated, so the values you see right after harvesting might not be correct. I say this as i've also observed "red" food values indicating starvation but they always (in my case) returned to green the very next turn.

The mechanism has not changed since the Vanilla:
If the harvest food can increase your population by more than 2, it will only increase by 1, then left 1 food (full - 1 in stack) from increase to the 2nd pop, and other food overflow will be lost. So if you don't have enough housing you'll find it's possible that this 1 food will take 2T or even 4T to go up, if you only have 1 surplus grain (food income - pop * 2).

This should be meant to prevent you from harvesting multiple food resources in a same turn (you will suffer large food overflow lost). So if properly calculated, each harvest of a food resource (or jungle/marsh) will increase your population by 2 in 1 turn. In late game, try to harvest as soon as the population increase (so the food stack are nearly empty), the loss of overflow food will be minimal.

source link: Civ6 Chinese Wiki http://civilization6.vgbaike.com/产出

Thanks Boyan for the clarification and the link! Even if it's not ideal, google trad is enough efficient to make this link useful to me, this wiki is very 'deep' compared to others, lot of interesting things in it.

The "lost at X turns" can be fixed by rearranging citizens (even double-click a slot, basically select/deselect works).

The lost at X turns is a UI error, if you press next turn it'll correctly grow instead:crazyeye:

Source: I play a lot of Kongo (still the most underrated civ) and thus end up chopping a lot of jungle throughout the game.

How much food is needed for each pop point? Do Wonder modifiers apply to chopped food and change the overflow quantity?

I personally find it strange that a city grows 2 pop if you precisely hit the amount needed, but only grows one pop and makes you wait a turn for the second, when you have more than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom