1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvesting resources

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by mrwho, Jan 21, 2018.

1. mrwho

mrwho Chieftain

I essentially never harvest resources. In fact, I'm not sure I ever have. I harvest terrain features; marshes if I don't have the marsh pantheon, and I'll harvest forest or rainforest if I want the production boost or if I am going to improve the tile anyway, but I always leave resources intact. I know this strategy is incorrect, though; I'm too focused on the long-term value of keeping resources intact and benefiting from the better yields than the short-term benefits of harvesting that can snowball.

So, my question is: when do you harvest resources? Are there certain resources you'll never/always harvests? Do you routinely harvest, or only when you're trying to rush something? Or are you like me and only ever harvest features? Also, I've read a lot recently about how powerful harvesting forests are, which isn't something I do much either. When should this be done?

2. HyJinkx

HyJinkx Chieftain

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ting-trade-yields.624280/page-3#post-14918177

That’s a link from Victoria in her signature. I’m not sure if that’s exactly what you need or not? It has some great advice about chopping, when to, and overflow. I don’t think there is really any one major rule you have to follow when it comes to the when and why. You have to kind of decide how badly you need something to know when you will get the most value. The later in the game you wait the more value you can get from a chop for example. Stone on flat ground, trees, jungle, etc can all provide really nice boost for rush builds so don’t just chop or harvest for the sake of doing it. If you can time your chopping to builds then you can get a great advantage from it although some consider the overflow tricks more of an exploit.

I will almost always harvest stone, bronze, and the various terrain but I don’t do it randomly. They are to valuable for rush builds later on. Once in awhile I do find a real need for something early on but districts and certain wonders are far more of a need for a stron game. Maybe say for the coliseum or Big Ben. Sometimes just to finish up a second district in a city with poor production. I rarely harvest for troops though unless it’s to take advantage of the 50% troop or settler build cards early on. That’s more about the overflow though than the actual need for troops.

There’s a a lot of good advice around about chopping and harvesting so I will leave the rest someone with more expertise then myself. There are many factors to consider when it comes to this subject but it really can make a huge difference in your play once you figure it all out.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. DanaLea

DanaLea Chieftain Supporter

My playing style means I get some very large cities and control land outside the three rings, so I'll harvest anything that is in the fourth (or fifth) ring that I get access to. The exception would be a new lux or a strategic that I don't have somewhere already. But a repeated lux or a stat I don't need, and all bonus... harvested. Although those that provide production I will save for some wonder or district I want to build. I mean these are tiles that can't be worked, so why not?
    Otherwise, I almost never harvest resources when they can be worked instead. I don't even harvest marsh or forest (but rainforest I do).

But I do need to pay attention... once in a while, I harvest one of these and then later place a city that could have used that resource, so planning is important.

EDIT: I think I should admit that I use a mod that allows me to use a builder charge towards a district (for all leaders, not just the one that Friaxis coded), I also have one that allows them to build roads, and increases their charges. So I cheat. A lot. LOL

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It’s as much about the builders as the harvest. The builder price does not ramp up hugely but if you use a lot of 3 chop builders you will suffer for it later.
    The problem early game is there is a lot to do, getting settlers, an army, monuments, eurekas that there is not a lot of time for builders but chopping early can speed your game up a lot.
    5 charge builders at Feudalism is a time you want a wave of them but maybe get a few extra cheap civics after it to make the chop stronger first. Getting pyramids to make this 6 chops and increasing existing builders by 1 chop is also strong.
    The fact that if you lay down a district and it takes 3 chops of a builder to complete it immediately is nice to know but waiting cannrefuce that to 2 or 1 chop is where chop power comes in.
    A second wave of chops when you get Public Works is also worth considering
    Late game chopping for gold is also highly underrated chopping a few crabs and bronze can buy you great works or even cities.

The chop link for the example says most of this and more but also has some handy tables so you can see the cost of districts and builders and chops.

mrwho likes this.
  5. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

1: Harvest is always better than not harvest.
    2: Later harvest yields more

This indicates that you shall harvest as soon as you need that bonus(e.g., trigger the 10/15 pop eureka, building a campus and university, building a trader to fulfill the captured trade route cap, upgrade army, etc), or wait until the game is about to end if you don't need that yield before.

For food I suggest harvest earlier since late food do not make sense, but for prod and gold I suggest delay that harvest if not needed since they can always make use(by district proj/ purchase GP), but make sure you harvest them in the end.

6. Victoria

If you have goddess of the harvest, harvesting food late can be great if you can spare the builders

7. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Right. Especially with Monumentality in R & F, which allows you to faith-purchase builders with a discount. You can just cycle builders while also getting a lot of bonus yields.

Victoria likes this.
  8. Victoria

As was pointed out to me, While these dedications are great, they are not always available. It will add some interesting timings into the game. Probably make the science victory more complex which is good.

9. mrwho

mrwho Chieftain

Thanks for the info guys. I'll put much more thought into when to chop/harvest from now on.

10. Victoria

Maybe with the loyalty mechanic chopping in early for population growth may be worth considering also

11. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Always harvest production unless your saving it for the space ship. Getting something out early is better because it pays off for longer and snow balls. I never harvest food because most citys won't grow that big anyway and the housing cap means speeding food isn't very important. The issue is early game where you have limited builders(unless your the central America guy), but I also hardly build any improvements anyway. Goddess of the harvest is pretty good when combined with chopping if you can get jesuit education as well, but those are pipe dreams a lot of the time.

12. Victoria

When R&F kicks in there is so many new ways to increase housing this is not necessarily an issue and large cities = better loyalty so there is now more weight to harvesting food early.
    It is also easy to forget that this population does help science and culture a little bit and a 7 pop city produces 5 science. That's a fair amount.

13. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

I was just talking about base game.

14. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

In R & F science per citizen changed from 0.7 to 0.5, if you look carefully enough to the livestreams.

Victoria likes this.
  15. Victoria

Wow, I had not noticed, nasty. I would have thought with all this encouragement to grow cities they would not have reduced science. Did culture change as well?.... I'll try to look but watching them play just get me upset, hours of staring at some very odd play and little information.

16. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Culture is still 0.3. But I think the importance of culture drops due to certain policies being nerved. For government title, I think 10 maybe enough(everyone+Reyna district purchase), more than 10 seems not to be bringing good bonuses.

17. Victoria

Has Democracy been nerfed? if not then SV culture would still be important I would have thought.
    Any particular cards? I've been too busy to read all the posts.

18. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Yes it have been. At least no -50% GP grabbing now. Also, other changes (Reyna) makes everyone Aztec, which can build spaceport in very few turns and chop projects I think.

Victoria likes this.
  19. Victoria

So that would mean less chance of getting GP unless on Deity and more about getting 5 spaceports chopped in with 5 turns between for governor moves. Reyna then Magnus
    It is going to make the whole thing more boring if you do not need Coliseum, Big Ben, even Democracy.

20. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

I guess we no longer need a lot of culture in the expansion. Maybe up to Urbanization(for some gold) is enough.