1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Has anyone else noticed that CSes sometimes just stop building stuff?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Question, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Question

Question King

Ive noticed that CSes will build units, districts, etc, but at some point the AI seems to break and they just stop building -anything-. This usually happens after they get involved in a war.

Its very obvious when a CS gets liberated because they will never build -ANYTHING- after that. Im looking at Auckland...10 turns after I libeated it and they wont repair any of their pillaged districts or build a single builder.

Antioch lost most of their musketmen army at the start of a war and now they wont build anymore units and are just sitting there.

Anyone else noticed this?

2. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Yep. A liberated CS built a single knight the entire game.

3. Hactar

Hactar Chieftain

Yep. I was trying for the “levy the military of Nan Madol” achievement. But the whole time I was Suzerain, at least half the game, they never built a unit. So still no achievement for me.

4. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

I'm always most surprised to see them still as Chiefdoms in the Information era.

5. Kyro

Kyro Prince

Oh yes, even before R&F. It makes liberating them extra painful because now they become entirely dependent on your troops for protection and you have to waste resources to keep them perpetually surrounded.

6. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

And sometimes city-states cover the world in units. I wrecked Alexander with just a levy army which had almost a dozen ranged and melee units from a single City-State.

7. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

They should have abilities to war with each other, and if they control a second CS their own bonus is doubled and the conquered CS's is eliminated.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

They eventually rebuild their walls, but yes, I noticed liberated city states are forever stunted.

Keep in mind city states in general don't usually build more than 2 districts. Their primary district (for their city state type) and sometimes a harbor. Or do they build industrial zones? I haven't noticed, I don't conquer city states late game.

9. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

City states can only build 2 districts...harbors and their particular district type. All the others are disabled for them. This is why they sometimes spam units because they've run out of things to build. I also suspect that after liberation it can them forever to get going because their production is so artificially limited by not being able to build any production districts and repairs can take forever.

10. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Unless they have a few mine hills, units would also take forever to build at that point, if they're forced to build modern units and can no longer build older era units to upgrade with gold. Not sure how the game handles strategic resource requirements for city states.

11. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

The only reason they're able to get their specialty district up and running is that they get a 500% production boost towards it...perhaps there might be a way to give them the same boost towards projects. I'm currently working on a mod which unlocks most of the other specialty districts for them, so hopefully it will help give them more production.

12. Question

Question King

So why do they not build anything after being liberated? Is it because they dont have the production? They have to choose something to build, what are they choosing?

13. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I suspect they are first repairing damaged buildings, which can take quite some time with low production. That would explain why there is no production with any outward effect that we can see.

14. Question

Question King

Do you know where the CS modifiers are stored? I want to try giving them production bonuses if possible.

15. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

16. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

Is this possibly linked to major AI civs not replacing their destroyed units? It's just so weird being at war with a nation of several cities who seem to be building anything else but units.
    Usually, you destroy their first wave of units and you'll see no fresh units for dozens of turns. Braindead.

17. Question

Question King

Yea i saw the no fresh units thing but i thought that was because war weariness was giving them a hefty production penalty. I was fighting Russia and they did occasionally send new units out at me but they were being built too slowly.

Thanks, but i meant, how do you give CS specific bonuses to CSes only? Like giving them a production boost?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2018
  18. juanpavo

juanpavo Warlord

Perhaps you can have your mod provide the CS with a free builder after it has been liberated? This may help bootstrapping production (assuming the builder is put to good use).

19. Question

Question King

The thing is ive been looking at antioch for like 50 turns and after losing their initial army at the start of the war, they just sit around doing nothing. They have one infantry unit and one builder, nothing is pillaged, but they just dont build...anything. You would expect them to build more units since theres a war going on, but nope.

Maybe they are choosing to build special projects instead of units for some dumb reason?

20. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

You need to attach stuff to their trait MINOR_CIV_DEFAULT_TRAIT
    Check in the base files how this is used to either attach modifiers (to give them direct bonuses) or AiLists (to make them prioritize different stuff).
    Modifiers can be a little complicated, so I'd recommend just looking for something that does something similar and to try to find all the components you need (at least modifier and modifierarguments)