1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone EVER made a defensive pact?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lordsurya08, May 26, 2011.

1. lordsurya08

lordsurya08 class-A procrastinator

It's a cool aspect of diplo, and it adds much-needed depth to the game, with only one drawback: THE AI NEVER MAKES THEM.

Is there an XML where I can raise the AI's flavor for Defensive Pacts?

2. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

The problem with Defensive Pacts is that they come late in the game, when the AI starts getting more aggressive.

3. lordsurya08

lordsurya08 class-A procrastinator

I suppose the tech that unlocks DPs can be moved to earlier in the game.

4. swmaniac

swmaniac Warlord

In addition, there's really little reason to make them. You'll invariably just end up getting pulled into a war you don't support. Unless there's a huge diplo bonus, I'd never make them regardless.

5. JWAT44

JWAT44 Prince

i just would like to see a WWI situation of rival alliances forming and eventually fighting each other in a huge world war that really challenges the leaders into leading a total war economy and then there could be like a great big diplomatic meeting of the victors to shape the post-war world where you can go either punish and limit the victors (WWI) or rebuild them (and maybe have a long cold war lol) (WWII) it might be better to do a scenario but it would be amazing if that could happen in a regular game

6. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Actually I was a warmonger with napoleon and greece was friendly because of my famous army i have a defencive pact with him then siam atacked me i lolled greece was next to him let the fireworks begin XD

7. Liborio

Liborio Chieftain

Well, from my experience i don't have any difficulty in making defensive pacts with other civs since the latest patch (i don't think i ever made one before the patch actually). I usually play on prince and king by the way.

The AI's never seem to make DP's with other AI's though, which is a shame.

8. Bezurn

Bezurn Prince

I wouldn't really call Chivalry a 'late game' tech. Mid game sure, when the AI has had time to size up who it likes and who it hates. I've signed numerous ones with people I have DoFed, to have a friend not sign one means they may not be that friendly after all.

9. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

When you pursuit Cultural Victory and your neighbor doesn't want your existence,it becomes worthy to sign a defensive pact with their enemies that is near of him. But it's better to bride the neighbor of your neighbor to war.

10. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

Isabella proposed one to me in a game. She was a mutual neighbor with the Songhai and Persia. I said no because I didn't want to get pulled into a war with Ibn. When I wiped out Persia, she changed her mind about who her enemy was...

11. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

I played a game where I had defensive pacts. I was trying to be peaceful so I had two civs friendly and DPs. But when Japan attacked me, no one came to my aid. I thought the point of DPs was that if someone attacked you the others would declare war.

12. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

That sounds like a bug.

I've been using them a lot in my latest game, they do seem easier to get post-patch.

I'm swearing them off again. Why? I was trying to limit expansion by a powerful civ on the other continent, and made defensive pacts with China and Aztecs, the two weak sisters in their path. Also "friends" with both. Trying to set up a self-defense block.

China attacked the damn Aztecs! WTF??

I immediately was at war with China, and every other civ got the "you declared war on a friend" red line item against me.

(Meanwhile, the bully rolled over both of them. Argh!)

13. Im_An_Eejit

Im_An_Eejit Chieftain

All the time, often fruitless, but also often provide nice scenarios.

14. SpearMan153

SpearMan153 Prince

last game I had two going for most of the game
    Small, Continents, King, Arabia
    one with DOF (Siam) one at Friendly (China)

15. SpearMan153

SpearMan153 Prince

nasty - a what do you think of leader x option would have been nice, there's no easy way to gauge ai vs ai relationships that haven't ended in denouncements

I guess the moral of the story is beware of agreeing to more than one defensive pack with adjacent civs that aren't DOF with each other, especially when at least one is a war monger

16. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

I have, you just have to keep up Declarations of Friendship. I've had continent-wide defensive pacts before.

17. Babri

Babri Emperor

One of the major problem with Defence Pact is that if you make it with your friend civ A, sometimes your other friend civ B would declare on A for no reason resulting in you declare war on B. Then they'll call you backstabber etc & you'll get very heavy diplo penalties.

18. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I have used defensive pacts very many times. For example, in situations where I am a smaller civ and am bullied by a larger civ, but have many friends.

19. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

Defensive pacts have two main issues that I can see.
    1. Being forced to war a civ you have a pact with because they attacked another civ you have a pact with.
    2. Having to keep track of every war to make sure none of your pacts have expired because the other party declared war and having to re-sign EVERY pact if you declare war or if you or an ally are declared on.

As I see it the solutions are:
    1. If two civs you have pacts with go to war you aren't dragged in (unless you manually declare)
    2. Pacts aren't automatically cancelled if either party declares war, however the party that didn't declare isn't automatically dragged in (although if the recipient of the declaration has a defensive pact then all parties on both sides will get drawn in).

20. shanodin

shanodin Chieftain

I have never seen the AI make a defensive pact.