Has anyone ever seen the AI doing something smart?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Civddict, Nov 14, 2002.

?

AI does smart things

1. Never, or very rarely to be noticed

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. yes sure it does. Great mind of side Meier is behind it

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Maybe, but you don't ever

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Civddict

Civddict Prince

Poor AI... I'll give you 2 very known stories:
    1. Settle everything, especially places next to human player.
    I had 4 nations going on empty spot on north of my map..I let them go , go thru whole my territory.. when they was almost there, I blocked access with impis. Then they decided to turn back
    But wait. I give them bait.
    I moved impis. They decided to go back :lol:
    then I put them back again :cry:
    good exploit to keep their settlers "busy" - rather than having them build actual city.

2. Attack undefended city. leave one city on seaside far from your enemy unarmed. they'll come for it. just wait, and kill them.

So question is...

2. Civddict

Civddict Prince

I mispelled Sid name. Sorry. Cannot edit posts.

3. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

:lol: Topic thief? Maybe. ;) :p

CG

4. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

Yeah, very smart:

I captured a city with an elite MA and it had only 2 hp left. That turn a bunch of longbowmen (10) came around and took back Tienstien from me.

5. Sultan Bhargash

Sultan Bhargash Trickster Reincarnated

The PTW AI is a bit more challenging - give them an inch and they will take a mile. Maybe I am playing stupid, certainly I make my share of mistakes, but the AI does capitalize on those mistakes...

6. RealSpices

RealSpices Chieftain

It seems to be the significance of the levels (Regent, Deity etc.) in that the AI gets smarter the higher you go..

7. Silverflame

Silverflame OBJECTION!

I think it all depends on how you define "smart" Sorry, I cant seem to go any deeper than that right now.

8. FenrysWulf

FenrysWulf Evil Norse Wolf

I have learned things from the AI. I never used to use mines, and then I noticed that the AI puts them everywhere, so I looked into it and found out it was a good idea. Same with roads and railroads. So that's something smart they do. Also, when they use the imposing Stack of Death (about fifty units plop down next to your city all in one stack) that can be pretty tough to deal with. So they are not without hope.

9. Park Ranger

Park Ranger Wonder hog

When preparing for invasion from a civ on another continent, I fortified infantry in all the hill/mountain squares along the coast, leaving only grasslands for the AI to make a landing. AI kept its galleons back out of range of my pitiful navy and waited until there was one unoccupied hill, then unloaded everything there.

So at least the AI understands terrain values, to the point of opting out of ONE suicide scenario.

Funny though you have to look hard for smart things from the AI.

10. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

RealSpices: no, they simply have more resources.

the AI is NOT smart, but it is decidedly better than most. It will NOT fall into stereotyped moves excpet for the pathfinding.

11. Sgt.Hellfish

Sgt.Hellfish King of the Oceans

The thing with AI attack tactics is they allways use massive stacks when possible which makes it easy for u to take em out, for eg surround em bombard and then finish em off they will alllways try and break out towards the nearest city u hold and u can have peace when u wipe em out

12. dreadknought

dreadknought timelord

:yeah: I will certainly agree with this post. In my current game it seems to me the AI is playing much smarter and this is my first PTW long game.......dread

13. dreadknought

dreadknought timelord

::confused: Well this used to be the case all the time but in my current PTW game the AI is playing differently. Ive had no less than 6 cities attacked from different fronts during the same war. Also the AI attacked one of my cities for several turns and then split some its forces to attack one of my inner towns (my capitol). Ive never seen the AI play in this manner and Ive played many civ games in the past......dread

14. Four Four Seven

Four Four Seven Spearman

The AI be definition cannot do ANYTHING "smart." It doesn't think. No computer thinks (not even Deep Blue in chess).

So the question should probably be "Has anyone ever seen the AI doing something that appears smart."

This may seem trivial, but it's an important difference, IMO.

15. JonathanValjean

JonathanValjean Porschephile

In my last game of Civ 3 (not PTW), France was attacking me and
    because the capture of one of my key cities appeared imminent, I brokered a peace treaty. The intelligent thing that France did was to leave a stack of 6 elite tanks on a tile of mine which contained oil. I wasn't in a position to order them out of my territory, but luckily, this was immaterial, for I had another supply of oil elsewhere in my empire. Also, I agree that the AI "seems" smarter in PTW, which is a welcome improvement.