1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever seen the AI make a national park?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, May 30, 2019.

1. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I'm tired of seeing that useless "performs better on national parks" promotion on Rock Bands when I don't think I"ve seen a single AI national park in my whole civ career.

2. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Personnally.... NO !

3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Yes. In my Inca game, with world age at the youngest setting, there was a very mountainous region where either Egypt or Hungary (I forget which) created a national park. Pretty sure I've only seen it this once.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Nope. But then again parks are a waste of faith anyways, so it's for the better. It's also needlessly complex so can't really expect the poor AI to handle what human players can't even some of the time.

5. incroc

incroc Chieftain

I just played two culture victories with Russia (first ones I've done), and largely agree. In both I spammed national parks everywhere but didn't get enough traction until I got rock bands. Even though I had plenty of breathtaking land.

I didn't do the calculations, but the tourism pr faith invested seemed much higher for rock bands. Especially since there weren't that many turns between them.

On topic: I don't even know if the AI know how to switch tiles around, so probably there's rarely spots available for it to make them.

6. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I would have diagreed with this, until rock bands came which are way cheaper and give more tourism. Naturalists and Rock Bands seriously need to swap faith costs.

7. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Yea. I mean in a worst case scenario (you send Rock Band to a wonder and it fails immediately), you get 750 tourism.

If you made a park with 8 appeal each (32 tourism per turn), it'd still take 23 turns for it to catch up, and Rock Bands are like what? 1/2 as much? It's also much better to get a lot of tourism at once since people will also accumulate domestic tourism over time which effectively never lets the parks catch up.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  8. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Well, national parks also give some amenities and can be boosted in a golden era, but yeah. Since GS, they need a buff. Actually it's more like rock bands need a nerf.

I think tiles that are part of a national park should also give gold.

WillowBrook and acluewithout like this.
  9. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Nope. Never seen a seaside resort, either.

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  10. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Only if they have elephants on them. Otherwise they should probably cost gold. :)

A tighter connection between climate change and preserving natural spaces via national parks would be a boost to parks, as would more challenging health/happiness issues as the eras advance or cities grow in size. Under current game mechanics, however, national parks can be filed with world wonders under "use for fun only".

acluewithout likes this.
  11. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Okay, true, national parks require a lot of federal funding. A more accurate version of what I meant is, I think you should get gold from tourism.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I saw Kupe build one once.

13. tab

tab Chieftain

Is that an out of season April fools joke?

14. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I've seen plenty of resorts and also national parks. I like building them and every now and then my first park doesn't give the first park in the world historic moment.

679x likes this.
  15. incroc

incroc Chieftain

That'd be accurate, but the cultural victory already seems one of the easiest to me. Not that I have countless hours played, but there's significant value added in most areas of having strong culture. One of the downsides is that I prioritise Theater Squares and Campuses, not getting Commercial Hubs until late. With added gold income, one of the priorities goes away. Granted, you could sell the great works for decent gold, I tend to get between 20 and 27 gpt.

Compared with diplomatic or space, it feels more achievable.

16. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

In my current game, Sweden has built a national park (I'm playing Suleiman)... it's not very common, but they do.

I've seen the AI build a few resorts too.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  17. Starwars

Starwars Prince

With the planning that is often required for placing them, I'd guess that's why it's a rare thing to see the AI build them. But yeah, speaking of Rock Bands, they do need a rebalance definitely. They are too strong. And tweaking of the promotion tree... I mean, there is a promotion for national parks but that's like never going to be used, lol.

I do definitely see the AI build seaside resorts sometimes.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I have seen lots of resorts
    I have seen 2 national parks... both in GS, both from the same civ... and it was not the Cree.
    No national parks before that and have played a fair amount of games.
    Someone like @AmtrakQuebec may have seen more.

19. _hero_

_hero_ King

Yeah cheaper unless you've already built a ton of rock bands.

There are a few other reasons to build national parks though. The main being era score as you keep getting score for additional parks unlike most other sources. It's rarely an issue but every once in a while you need to rush out a few last minute era score to avoid a normal age.

The other reason is amenities. Again this is generally not an issue but as amenities do effect yields, national parks can have a tangible benefit.

I think they just need their cost cut in half.

Tech Osen likes this.
  20. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

i don't have as much game as you guys but in my games they always are some natural park in AI territory if at least one of them has an inclination for CV. Not a lot of parks but always at least one. I know because when my first wave of truck armada goes in there is always one to play a concert in.