1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here ever defeating a sweet tooth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I imagine maybe if my life was a cornucopia of physical, social & intellectual pleasure I could resist sugary things (and maybe if I did that for a month or two my taste buds would change) but as is it's pretty hard.

I'm not pounding back sodas or anything (I knew a guy who drank at least a 6-pack of Dr Peppers every day :ack: ) but I do eat chocolate at least 28 days a month (maybe 27 in Feb) and especially crave sweets at night.

El_Machinae likes this.
  2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Never had it that bad.

Switched tobsavory stuff and beer instead of soda.

3. Imaus

Imaus Prince

I'm trying. I feel a lot better cutting off sugary soda, but I just replaced it with 'diet' soda and 'diet' energy drinks. I do see some change with my body that I'm happy with, so eh. Just focus on water.

For cakes and the like, I just stop buying them, but I do fall to binging at times. I like to think I'm getting better at it and that I go longer and longer in between binges. Replace with nuts, fruits, the odd veggie.

It's all about consistent commitment in the end. I feel better, my body shape flattened out fast, and the like, so goodbye sugar. One of the worst things we did as a society was focus on Fat over Sugar in the last quarter century.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  4. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

It's tough to defeat - Before diagnosis as a diabetic, I used to guzze energy drinks and eat all types of sweets.

I had to having the shocking realization that I would die of health complications if I did not change. What really
    done it for me was seeing dudes around my age at the diabetes clinic in wheel chairs, with feet/legs missing.

I know that life-expectency after such amputations is not great. Now every time I think about sweets, the image
    of a dude in a wheelchair springs to mind...It may sound brutal, but that is how I keep the sweet craving in check...!

Socrates99, Birdjaguar, The_J and 2 others like this.
  5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I find my disgust with candy companies effective at curtailing my candy (including liquid candy, chocolate candy, cereal candy, etc.) purchases, and I've never really been into making my own sweets. When I do make sweets, I use erythritol to sweeten.

If I have candy in my house, resisting is hopeless.

As per most food things, "make your own from scratch" essentially fixes the problems.

Probably not much. Attraction to sweets seems to be mostly based on the individual, and factors like age, not short-term consumption. (As opposed to salt, where changing consumption causes pretty rapid palette adaptation.) Good book on the subject: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15797397-salt-sugar-fat

6. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

* looks at the mocha on his desk *

* looks back to the screen *

* thinks on how many mochas he has a day *

Yeah, I'll get back to you on that.

7. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Oh you can edit this

Just need to stick with it for a while until your habits and tastes change. When I say "just" I don't necessarily mean that that's easy, but it does get easier over time.

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I smoked a lot of pot and learned to feel disgusted at various levels of “impure” foods but all these healthier guys around me are snacking and I decided to follow their lead rather than ideas and now I’m comfortably having some soda, some candy, etc

9. Snerk

Snerk Finger Lickin' Good

Life without black liquorice is not a life worth living. I refuse to make any concessions on this.

Overall I'm OK with my sugar intake. Some desserts, chocolate, sweets and stuff but I (usually) don't overdo it. I drink very little juice or soda. My digestion doesn't like too much sugar in one go so there's a price to pay if I gorge.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  10. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Yeah, I did, several times.
    Knocked back Coca consumption heavily (I used to drink sometimes up to one bottle a day, now maybe one bottle every two or four weeks).
    Mostly stopped eating candies.
    Had to force myself to stop eating hazelnuts (it's not an unhealthy food, but I had what could only be described as compulsive addiction to them, which is not something I wanted to accept, so I cut myself from buying them).

It's mostly about getting used to a new routine, rather quickly you just adjust and there isn't even the craving anymore.
    The only one which required any real amount of willpower was the hazelnuts thing.

Snerk and The_J like this.
  11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The only way I resist sweets is by not having them around me. Working at places that give out free snacks and sodas is always challenging for me. The most I was able to do was transition to sugar-free soda in these situations but even that is not good for you but it's the best I can do. I try not to buy sweets at the store but then we end up making cookies all the time from scratch which isn't helpful.

Imaus likes this.
  12. Snerk

Snerk Finger Lickin' Good

I went one step further and ground the hazelnuts into a fine powder and snorted it.

Purple haze...lnut!

tjs282 likes this.
  13. CurtSibling

If I could be bold enough to give advice to all, the one thing to cut out is soda...All kinds.
    By far, this goop is the biggest offender...Especially those "no added sugar" or "zero" drink types, with their dangerous sweeteners.

I know making that cut sounds hardcore, but if you can stop the fizzy drinks, you will see the weight fall off you fast, and your metabolism will thank you...:)

Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Look into erythritol if you're baking from scratch.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Oh you can edit this

Far from hardcore, this sounds like pretty much the easiest option to me.

16. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

About fifteen years ago I developed some weird intolerance of sweets (especially chocolate!) and eating anything sugary would make me violently sick, even in rather small quantities. It was really easy to avoid things, lol!

My condition seems to have gotten better somewhat, and I can eat chocolate now, and I'm liking it again. I don't eat a lot though still, I much prefer making things than eating them, my trick is to just find people to unload my confections onto/into.

When I was young, I drank a lot of pop, it's pretty much all my parents gave us. I gave that up when I became an adult and switched entirely to water, and now I find pop of any kind to be vile and disgusting.

CurtSibling likes this.
  17. CurtSibling

Yeah - I have had some friends in real life consider it a tough move to drop the soda from their diet. :)

18. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

it's incredibly easy, just become an intolerable snob like me. I can't even eat milk chocolate without going on a tirate about how garbage it is. I'd eat more sweets, but the kind of chocolate I buy can almost be weighed in gold.

I have a knack for soft drinks though, but have become so spoiled that I now mostly create them myself, because I can't drink that industrial stuff anymore. on a more serious note though, curbing ones bad habits is incredibly difficult. I could use some help, too, if anything, though for me it's salty/fatty foods.

tjs282, Hygro, Birdjaguar and 2 others like this.
  19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

LOL I love the self-reflection

yung.carl.jung and Hygro like this.
  20. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

For me it's wine, and cheese and bread. My "dinner" when Mr KB is working will too often be a baguette, a block of cheese, and a bottle of wine.

hobbsyoyo and yung.carl.jung like this.