1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here ever defeating a sweet tooth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

tjs282, yung.carl.jung and Birdjaguar like this.
  2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I don't really buy soda to enjoy. Maybe one can a month at the gamestore or ginger ale to mix with whiskey once a year.

I cut suger from my coffee 3 years ago. Only suger now is cereal, fruit bar, alcohol.

Beer is healthier than soda, probably drink about 2 litres a week of beer usually over two or 3 days. 2.7 litres this week plus two drinks in abar, last week was 1.8 litres.

Chocolates rare, savory is my weakness. Chips, pizza once a month, probably eat to many burgers.

3. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

What sugar? I don't use much of sugar! :mischief: Just 2-3x instant coffees (0,5 liter each, 1/3 of that fresh milk (from my 3 cows), ~20 g of sugar) per day, some cookies here and there, pancakes with honey 1-2 times per week and 1-2 times per month "full it full with all can get from store" times. So it could be like 3-3,5 kg of pure sugar per month :mischief: Living in countryside I guess helps here as I use some good amount of energy outside almost every day (and to keep weight at same level for like last 12-14 yrs (of 30 total)) and supermarket is far enough (10 miles) to get over immediate wish of having something sweet. During warm period I usually make "deal" - 20 miles of cycling for 500 kcal of sweet stuff. Works totally fine as I end up riding 40 miles for that sweet sweet 1000 kcal bonus :lol: Once per one-two years I do "boss level" cycling for 200 miles (24h period). That is one sweet sweet day for my taste, worth every RPM of pedal! I usually have some objects for tourist stuff too but same time I know that I will have green light for :banana: and other stuff :satan:

4. Patine

Patine Deity

I just kind of lost mine after a while. No real deliberate process. I'm not even sure what really happened. I haven't craved sweets for years.

5. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

:lol: but that's what makes it so enjoyable when you do indulge, isn't it? The fact that it's a special occasion.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@Narz you might try eating the bad stuff every other day or “not on weekends” or some other easy to follow pattern that reduces your intake.

7. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Narz, you are an extraordinary person. Just be strong and banish the primal candy urge! :)

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I was addicted to Pepsi for years, then I went to Mt Dew and was addicted to that. Either the Pepsi changed or my taste buds did, it just started having a not so pleasant after taste and the Dew was delicious. I gave it all up about 10 years ago, aside from beer which I quit maybe 2-3 years ago all I drink is water and some milk.

But I still like ice cream and I've been fighting that craving lately, I need to cut out sugar rich dairy and easy carbs like pizza and bread, ugh. Diet soda sucks, might even be worse than the regular stuff. My blood pressure is still great in spite of all the abuse and poisons, but life catches up so its better to eat healthy and avoid the toxins surrounding us.

Intermittent fasting, look into it :)

9. Patine

Patine Deity

I almost entirely drink water, coffee (with cream, no sugar), tea, and very occasionally for an upset stomach, ginger ale. I almost never drink anything else. Like @Zardnaar said, savoury and salty cravings almost completely outweigh sweet ones for me.

10. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

are you my long lost soulmate? bread, cheese and wine is pretty much all I eat :D unless I feel particularly industrious like today..

I went kinda overboard and made bloomin onion, homemade pickles, brioche bread and deep fried a whole quail and two chicken legs. I'm still in pain :lol:

very true, and also the fact that you can really taste the work and the passion involved in making it. just the thought that chocolate was at some point some cocoa pod that's been fermenting under jungle sun for days is absolutely incredible.

I'm a deeply flawed human being, but being unaware of my flaws is not one of those flaws!

MaryKB and hobbsyoyo like this.
  11. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

I also like a lot of spinach, but I don't have to eat that all the time. You should come over then and we can split some baguettes, cheese, and a bottle of wine together XD

I like all kinds of cheese, except I absolutely will not eat that one that has the live maggots in it. I really enjoy simple things though, it doesn't have to be too fancy or anything.

Didn't you say you're a sadist? We could definitely have some fun, lol.

12. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

sounds lovely. shared cheese is the best kind of cheese.

I believe there's a time and a place for everything :mischief:

MaryKB likes this.
  13. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Thats a good assortment of beverages, I keep hearing positive things about coffee and tea, and ginger is good for a variety of ailments. I hate the taste of wine but its supposed to be good for the heart.

14. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Water, milk, unsweetened coffee are my choices.

I cut the obvious sources if suger in 2016 and don't eat a whole lot of processed sugury food anyway. I'll eat desert at a restaurant and yoghurt for breakfast.

15. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

I have gone from chocolate every second day and up to 3 cans of coke a day to chocolate now maybe once a week and 1 can of coke a day, and half the time it's coke zero. So, hey, that's something I guess?

Birdjaguar, Hygro, The_J and 5 others like this.
  16. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

I managed to defeat it temporarily when I was on my low-carb trip.
    The first step was cutting out white bread and only eating eggs and vegetables or müsli for breakfast. That eliminated my carb cravings in general. Took me a while to even notice that I hadn't eaten chocolate or ice cream in months.
    Then my depression returned and my diet became worse again because my firtst instinct is to self medicate with beer.
    Then I beat it again.
    Then...
    It's all cycles within cycles of good and bad years.

Birdjaguar, yung.carl.jung and The_J like this.
  17. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Ugh, sugar is the bane of my existence. My current method of consumption is this this "loaf" of bread from a specialty bakery which is basically a really long cinnamon bun. It tastes so good but I know it's terrible for me healthwise. My sugar consumption is very much routine based and in the past I've temporarily been able to break it by a major switch up my routine but the cravings always return.

18. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  19. civvver

civvver Deity

No, I've always been a savory/salty/greasy food kind of guy. Would much rather munch on a cheeseburger or taco than ice cream or candy.

There's nothing inherently wrong with eating chocolate every day though, as long as it's in moderation and fits your calorie goals. The problem with sugary drinks is it's super easy to drink in excess with them and watch your calorie intake go through the roof. Having a can of soda a day is fine but most people don't have just one can. Same with coffee, people don't realize that a medium starbucks drink is about the same sugar as a can of soda.

20. Patine

Patine Deity

That's why when I go for coffee, I NEVER go to Statrbucks. That, and the ludicrous price and the taste - it's not good-tasting coffee, frankly. It's practically undrinkable. I almost always go to Tim Hortons or McDonalds (the latter of which I ONLY have their coffee nowadays - they're food has become inedible) for coffee.