1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here suffered the "God's Blessing" in battle situation?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Civ3Lover, May 14, 2002.

1. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

Oh, I believe that. It has happened to me a few month ago. I always reserve my amies for self-depense. If the enemy see my advance armies in full health, they won't dare attacking my stack; therefore, I can match close enough to their important city to launch an attack. Anyway, my stack of calvary took out all of their rifleman and pikeman defenders except one last archer. So, I decided to throw my army of three cavalry unit to remove that last archer. To my surprise, that last archer destroyed my army of three cavalries with no sweat! He even got promoted to elite after that.:(

* I'm cheking to see if I still have that save game because I'm sure some of you may like to see that *

2. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Chieftain

The first thing I wanted to do when I got home was upload the savegame. I think I missed it by ONE turn. Is there a way to increase the saves in the future if something like this happens? (Gee whiz, the turns are taking forever!) I have a few questions:

1.) Is there a way to tell a city to KEEP producing whatever they were producing NONSTOP?

2.) How about rally points? Tell the missiles and/or armor/infantry to go to a set destination automatically. (It would take some of the burden off of micromanagement.)

P.S. Sorry about my 'tude yesterday. I was in a very bad car accident, and was coming off of pain medication which didn't make me very rosy. :(

3. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Chieftain

I already said it was a bit of an exaggeration, but two elite tanks, one veteran tank, and two elite mechs is a staggering loss against a yellow guy on a horsie.

4. Evincar

Evincar Iron works is a legend!!

Let me tell you one thing...

I was the Indians and I was invading France. I had severed their rubber supplies so they had no infantry. My Tanks were smashing riflemen with no problem...I was about to take a city, but, after 15 or so attacks I had no more units to attack with and all was left for defending was a Longbowman:( ... in France's turn, the longbowman attacked a tank in mountains... but with just 1 HP, so the outdated french won, but had only 1 HP left. he retreated to the city (grasslands, size 7) because the tank was not alone (although the other ones also had 1 HP). Ok, all it's left to take that city is a 1 HP longbowman, sounds good.

My turn: I take a 3 HP tank (not a bad idea, I thought). That's what happened:

round 1: ouch! I've lost a point. Oh, well, never mind...
    round 2: arghh!! I lost again so... ouch!! we're equal to 1 HP
    round 3: KABOOM!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!! A tank lost to the WORST defender available (it's worse than a fully healthy conscript warrior, after all):crazyeye: :mad:

So, of course spearman can beat tanks!:lol: :lol: :goodjob:

5. Chingis Khan

Chingis Khan Scourge Of The World

Anybody mind if we take slight shift of topic? I know everybody seems to have their "indestructible AI spearman" story, I know I have. But I have also had some incredible luck on my side also. It doen't seem to happen to me as often as for the AI but that is probably just perception (I EXPECT my warriors to beat tanks! :lol: ). My challenge is to look for the breaks us humans get (and laugh about them), instead of the same old boring "my tank got killed by a spearman" thread. Of course, a cavalry defending against 1 modern armour is odd, let alone 3 and some mech infantry; pretty noteworthy....:egypt:

6. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

Yes. We try to uphold the same high standards in our army, too.

:king:

7. dikwhit

dikwhit Warlord

I dont expect my warriors to beat tanks,, i expect them to do so unscathed...... Doesnt everyone???:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

8. God

God God

Ofcourse. If they fail, I beat them down and then execute my genral who was in charge of them.

9. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Chieftain

I'm kicking some serious butt in my game, but... (It's only on Warlord. It WAS quite challenging in the beginning, but now I'm the ultimate bad mutha. I have one continent, one large island with five cities on it, and one small island with two cities on it. The other big continent I have two cities, and they're big cities, they're GROWING cities, and they've got a LOT of people. I'm thinking of strategic bombing the living snot out of the cities near my big ones, and possibly getting a culture flip. I might even be able to use my cruise missiles to eliminate the garrison, and getting a culture flip. Has anyone done this before?

10. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

They are required to have the creases in their uniforms.

11. God

God God

Why bother to wait for the culture flip, if the garrison is dead. Send in some infantry and crush the resistence. So much simpler and more reliable. Anyway I reccomend you use bombers and bomb the living crap out of them and send in cavalry to take out the stragglers, and then infantry to garrison it.

12. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Chieftain

You know what's funny? I went from being the proponent of precision warfare to all-out brutality. I've been using stealth bombers to destroy so many civ improvement, and reducing the size of the city so much that a small occupation force can quell the resistence in two turns or less. Usually, by the time I've bombed everything culturally important to them, they welcome me with open arms, though. Is it the improvements, or the size of the city which gives them the ability to effectively resist?

(I've snuffed out the Egyptians, the Greeks, and the enlgish so far. Next on the menu is france. Japan will fall like dominoes, and then the eeny-teeny russkies.)

By the by... When you get a lot of cities, does the timeline slow down? I'm noticing it's going year-by-year instead of score-by-score. :)