has anyone started out religious then become atheist?

fishjie

omghi2u
I am curious if anyone has had an experience similar to me. Many years ago i was a christian. i read the entire bible multiple times, went to church, bible studies, etc... as the years went by, i had many problems with what the christian faith taught (The belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree), as well as what was in the bible itself (mainly the genocide), and the many contradictions (if god is good, why is there evil, etc). i was disappointed in people's blind faith, and unwillingness to question. I stumbled upon sites such as whydoesgodhateamputees that brought up compelling arguments against the existence of god, and i found no compelling arguments that could address the points.

It was so slow that I didn't notice it, but I eventually stopped believing in the christian god. I guess I became an agnostic. this was probably 2 years ago. looking back, i am incredelous at believers and how, their beliefs are based on a book that was put together centuries ago, that is a collection of documents (that were edited and added to by scribes with an agenda) and stories (passed down by oral tradition) that historical and archaelogical research has continued to invalidate (the jews were never in egypt, there never was a flood that covered the world, there is no tower of babel, king davids kingdom was exagerated, if it existed at all, etc). instead of using logic and reason, they used circular thinking, "the bible is the word of god because it says so". science has continued to find answers to questions, while claims in the bible have continually been smashed (the earth revolves around the sun, evolution, etc).

recently ive started reading books by dan dennett as well as dawkins, and im thinking im leaning towards atheism.

i was wondering if anyone else here went through a similar experience?

I was wondering if anyone else here went through a similar experience?

Yes, I was raised in the Catholic Faith: baptized, communion, confirmation, etc.

Bunch of crap in the end. I don't mind the "moral values" that religions teach, but I don't need a bedtime story to teach me right from wrong.

i imagine a lot do as they grow up (main quest, not ur post)

my main question in this thread is:

do you think given time, that religion will fade off into the sunset as science discovers new answers, or will reason and logic continue to be ignored? according to wikipedia, the book god delusion caused an INCREASE in the sales of bibles in amazon. LOL!

i ask this because i know of other ex-christians on other boards who were even more devoted to their faith than me, but eventually snapped out of it.

I was an altar boy once upon a time. I'm a confirmed cathoholic. But I never really believed in gods. So I can't say I converted. I just stopped the charade.

do you think given time, that religion will fade off into the sunset as science discovers new answers, or will reason and logic continue to be ignored? according to wikipedia, the book god delusion caused an INCREASE in the sales of bibles in amazon. LOL!

i ask this because i know of other ex-christians on other boards who were even more devoted to their faith than me, but eventually snapped out of it.

No, i would have thought so, but we have the glaring example of america where religion continues in technological advance :(

Well as long as suffering will exist, religion will continue to exist too, people who suffer have to believe there is something better somehwere, they need to believe that there is a reason for their suffering, etc.....

The day when everybody feels good and have their basic needs fulfilled, then religion might disappear....... I don't see this happening anytime soon.

I was a devout Catholic, and then I just wasn't anymore, as if when you give it a thought, the things percieved as truth, are a matter of education and culture.

However, as an atheïst i must admit that there are good moral lessons to be found in the bibble, just as in many stories.

Quoting a bible for truth, as in literally is the worst mistake atheïsts and Christians make.

But the bible will always be around, as there will be believers (look at zoroastra, the fact the religion still exists is to me a wonder)
so no, we aren't rid of religion yet, and secretly I think that isn't such a bad thing.

Just keep it in moderation y'all ;)

No, I think religion will always be with us, it will merely change to suit the time and place it exists in.

Think about it: Christianity means a thousand different things depending who you ask. It has morphed and redefined itself countless times and the modern forms are unrecognizable from the original. Ironically, evolutionary pressures largely determine which religions survive and which die off.

But again, religion will survive. I think men are inherently religious.

Heh I appear to be heading in the opposite direction, I used to be a firm athiest in my early years, now im agnostic and seriously considering going to a church to see what they actually do.

I have. my family is Hindu and throughout my childhood I was exposed to everything Hindu - religious traditions, cultural traditions, a plethora of devotees. Then about a year ago I realized how empty being nominally Hindu was. I never really believed that God is in all of us; I mean some of the scriptures are good on a purely philosophical basis, but I don't believe, for example, in elephant-headed gods or a blue god with nine arms. So yeah I'm a godless heathen

i also have a feeling religion is going to be around for a while. but if you chart the # of atheists as a graph, i would surmise it was an incredibly small percentage all the way up until the 1900s. yes there were atheists, but they had to keep it hidden, because everyone assumed there was a god or gods. it was only until the break through in science and reason that it was considered normal to be a non believer. for example, in the 19th century, historians began critically looking at the bible, tracing its origins and history, and finding that many of its claims are just plain wrong.

so the graph right now of atheists looks like exponential growth to me, but im wondering if this will cause a backlash (ie an increase in spirituality, as people get threatened and desire a need to have a purpose and meaning in life based on a rigid belief system)

I don't publicly say I'm atheist. I keep going to church because that's where all the best girls are.

you know i dont tell most of my friends from church this either, because i know what would happen. however they notice i havent been to church since the last two years, so i think they can guess. as for the girl thing, they are good, but the problem is it would never work out. you would fake being a christian so you could be with them? if they truly are devout, they believe that one should not be "unequally yoked" (you know what verse im talking about), and they would find out eventually.

there was one great girl i know, but then she said: "when i have kids i want to home school them so they won't learn evolution". i died a little inside when i heard that.

sure there was a 100% majority before someone invented it...

My mother did. Catholic form 46 - roughly 1965, then Athiest until 1992, at whihc point she sadly converted to Judaism. but her heart isnt in it, she makes me ham sandwiches.

My mother did. Catholic form 46 - roughly 1965, then Athiest until 1992, at whihc point she sadly converted to Judaism. but her heart isnt in it, she makes me ham sandwiches.

or she doesnt like you ;)

Top Bottom