Has anyone tried to build all wonders in one city?

Tokugawa_303

Chieftain
Recently I am enjoying the game in following way.
The goal is to build all small and great wonders in one city without any editor or cheating.
(and at least 4 opponents)
First you need to find a place where there will be available iron, coal and a river in the radius of a coastal city.
I can send early saves (before building any city) which is suitable for this.
Actually it is a great challenge, I could do it only 2 times so far.
(the opponents are also trying to build them so you need build before them and if you only use 1 city then it is a slow procedure)

Last edited:
Are you also doing OCC (one city challenge)? Or are you still making other cities?

I've only ever attempted this with an editor. I made the 'perfect' Island and played from there. Was a fun exercise.

I think I've done this on Chieftain difficulty. Which helps a lot in making the competition less competent at building wonders quickly.

It may also have been in Vanilla, where Ivory availability is not a concern. Like you said, you have to be fortunate with terrain - it's easy enough to see whether there is a coastal location with a river, but not whether there will be coal, early on. I suspect it might also be somewhat difficult to not win a 20K victory before finishing. Although on a low enough difficulty, perhaps you could intentionally delay the culture-heavy wonders for quite awhile.

I decided to do this as a OCC just now on a standard pangea map. Used the editor and just made sure that I would get the specific start location and added a cow to the one already there. Only I messed up and forgot about The Statue of Zeus. Someone else snagged that. Still, on chieftain level it is pretty simple.

You don't really need coal or iron (unless of course you want to build iron works in the city.) Just trade tech for the resources. Of course you'll have to give a neighboring civ steam power in order to rail your territory so they can see their coal, but that's not a huge issue. You can even build Zeus without having any ivory in your territory as long as you got a civ willing to trade it with you.

If you do build all wonders in a city and culture victory is turned on, you will win in the Industrial Age. Probably before depending on when you build other buildings like libraries, cathedrals, and other non wonders that give you culture.

Here's the save if interested. I went with a rule for not kicking anyone out if they went into my territory but also not signing any ROP's. The idea was to not have any war and not capture any city, even culture flips. Which there were none that wanted to flip to me.

Course now I just realize that not doing any wars has you miss out on Heroic Epic and other military ones that give culture. Oh well, with OCC you miss out on Wall Street and something else that requires more than one city that I can't think of at the moment anyway.

Attachments

• All wonders.SAV
    138.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Top Bottom