Has anyone ver done a Pagan Religious Victory?

Logoncal

Prince
It seems so unrealistic, yet it seems possible. I dont know.

And thanks to the new pagan religion system, there are now like 10 religious victories that are pagan.

Polynesia has a very easy time with their URV. I find I get it just naturally doing the UHV. Also, I believe all URV's share two goals, with the last being different only in the type of resource you need. So Polynesia needs x pearls, West African pagans x gems/gold, and Tengri x horses (or sheep).

The Olympian Pagan URV requires 10 classical/pagan world wonders. I've done it without too much hassle as Greece and I expect it would be fairly easy with Rome too.

I've tried the Pagan URV with Egypt several times (it requires being the first to get a kind of Great People, for any three kinds), but Judaism always end up spreading and screwing everything up.

As mentioned, the Polynesian Pagan URV is trivial indeed.

The Olympian Pagan URV requires 10 classical/pagan world wonders. I've done it without too much hassle as Greece and I expect it would be fairly easy with Rome too.

I've tried the Pagan URV with Egypt several times (it requires being the first to get a kind of Great People, for any three kinds), but Judaism always end up spreading and screwing everything up.

As mentioned, the Polynesian Pagan URV is trivial indeed.

Rome's URV is pretty easy, actually, as long as you expand fast enough to keep fifteen cities before Christianity spreads.
I think the AI should build more pagan temples, as that requirement pretty much means that you have to build them all by yourself.

With Rome, you sometimes have to be careful NOT to trigger the URV before the UHV, when going for the UHV. I have not tried any of the others, though.

With Rome, you sometimes have to be careful NOT to trigger the URV before the UHV, when going for the UHV. I have not tried any of the others, though.

Really? You kinda have to be stupid to build temples as Rome. You need other stuff such as the buildings for Goal 1, walls and the units

Really? You kinda have to be stupid to build temples as Rome. You need other stuff such as the buildings for Goal 1, walls and the units
I don't know who would build pagan temples before what is needed for the UHV, but maybe you can win the URV if you do that and expand constantly. I haven't tried it myself yet, though.

Rome's UHV is super easy, one of the easiest in the game. The building requirements are not a challenge at all. You have plenty of time to build pagan temples also, and they're great for getting in an extra whip and a smidgen of culture. And they're much cheaper Orthodox Churches for that sweet, sweet Hagia Sophia once you convert, too, if you're playing the long game.

Greece, Carthage and Persia are all quite easily doable. If you wanted to be perverse, I imagine pulling it off as China might be the easiest.

Greece, Carthage and Persia are all quite easily doable. If you wanted to be perverse, I imagine pulling it off as China might be the easiest.

Persia seems hard because you spawn with Zoroastrianism, so it will always expand and wipe out your pagan temples, but I've never really tried it with them, either.

Persia seems hard because you spawn with Zoroastrianism, so it will always expand and wipe out your pagan temples, but I've never really tried it with them, either.

Probably because you shouldn't do Pagan victory as Persia but rather Zoroastrianism.

Well, that was unexpected. In my Greece game I was waiting for my 362 BC [Edit: Turn 362, 330 BC] Golden Age to kick in and maybe give me the impetus to finish researching Philosophy for the UHV, but the Pagan URV came along instead. My first in any game. Didn't realise I had 15 cities, let alone 15 Pagan Temples. No wonder my research rate is lagging.

(I don't usually build a lot of Pagan Temples as they often get trashed when a city gets that old-time religion, but with Greece and Orthodoxy it seems (anecdotally) that a lot of the Greek temples get upgraded into Orthodox Churches, so I was curious to see if I could quantify that.)

Babylon is likely to make a GP in 15 turns and Diospolis Megale is 50/50 for a GP or GE in 23 turns, so if I get two GPs the first will finish Philosophy and the second (since I'll then be Medieval) may be able to boost me towards Theology. [Edited to add: Babylon gave me a GS instead of a GP - but when I checked what he could bulb, it turned out to be Philosophy anyway, so that worked out OK. Would have been a UHV on Turn 366, except the Religious victory got there first. I hoped it might also give me the UHV as some people have reported, but it didn't.]

I control both Jerusalem and Persepolis, but neither religion has spread beyond its holy city.

Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG

Last edited:
Well, that was unexpected. In my Greece game I was waiting for my 362 BC [Edit: Turn 362, 330 BC] Golden Age to kick in and maybe give me the impetus to finish researching Philosophy for the UHV, but the Pagan URV came along instead. My first in any game. Didn't realise I had 15 cities, let alone 15 Pagan Temples. No wonder my research rate is lagging.

(I don't usually build a lot of Pagan Temples as they often get trashed when a city gets that old-time religion, but with Greece and Orthodoxy it seems (anecdotally) that a lot of the Greek temples get upgraded into Orthodox Churches, so I was curious to see if I could quantify that.)

Babylon is likely to make a GP in 15 turns and Diospolis Megale is 50/50 for a GP or GE in 23 turns, so if I get two GPs the first will finish Philosophy and the second (since I'll then be Medieval) may be able to boost me towards Theology. [Edited to add: Babylon gave me a GS instead of a GP - but when I checked what he could bulb, it turned out to be Philosophy anyway, so that worked out OK. Would have been a UHV on Turn 366, except the Religious victory got there first. I hoped it might also give me the UHV as some people have reported, but it didn't.]

I control both Jerusalem and Persepolis, but neither religion has spread beyond its holy city.

View attachment 493288

1. The first part of the URV measures based on cities in the world, so if someone else pagan (like Rome or Carthage) was still around building Pagan Temples, you might have only had say, 10, while the other 5 were elsewhere.

2. Disappearance vs. conversion of pagan temples isn't random. A pagan temple will always disappear when a religion spreads to its city if you are still pagan but will always be converted into a temple of your state religion if you have converted to a state religion and your state religion spreads to the city. (Not sure what happens if a religion other than your state religion spreads to a city with a pagan temple, but I would guess it disappears.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom