1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Civ5 come to the Civ4 Standart?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by gfurst, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gfurst

gfurst Warlord

So I've just give up on another Civ5 game, i have only the basic though, after long time without even thinking about it.
    I've reminded of the reaaaaally boring gameplay that follow after the first two hours of game.
    Really tedious, I was wondering if there were some of those awesome mods of Civ4 around.

Anyway, two expansion packs later, has Civ5 finally came anywhere close to what Civ4 left behind?
    From the reviews I've read, the new features of religion and trade added a lot to the game, more diverse civs and stuff.

From my point of view( only tha base game yet):
    I really like the hex type map, the unit movement strategy also is very nice,
    And the concept of city-states are also cool but badly implemented.

Now i want to know about what you all think.

2. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

The BNW expansion has let Civilization 5 surpass Civilization 4.

3. I_qua_I

I_qua_I Prince

Civ5 Vanilla is light years behind G&K, which itself is way behind BNW. If you like the series or find yourself wanting to like Civ5 get BNW. It's a very different experience.

4. Civking5

Civking5 Prince

At this point, civ5 is incomplete game without its two expansions and dlcs. Do you play civ4 without its expansions?

5. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

G&K is really the best implementation of Civ V to date. The mechanics in Brave New World are still a little unbalanced and rough around the edges. I"m very satisfied with the state of things in G&K, and you probably will be too. Ironically, the endgame seems more tedious in BNW, for some reason that I can not put my finger on. I recommend Gods and Kings, but I would also wait a little while on BNW for the devs to patch and polish it a little more.

6. gfurst

gfurst Warlord

I do realize, Civ4 had a few rough spots to became the legend it is today, still I feel is empty if not playing with mods.
    However, game designers should be more experienced on making the great game, why take 3 expansions to make one game?
    From reviews I've read, it will still take more expansion and fixes for it to be complete.

Of course we cannot expect to be a perfect game pleasing all.
    But to, at least, take some examples of the great modders have made out there.

(sorry if didn't make much sense, I'm sleepy, shouldn't be writing)

7. ProfessorPhobos

ProfessorPhobos Chieftain

Let me put it this way. There are things I still miss about Civilization IV. But I can't go back to it now, after Civilization V.

There are still things I think could be improved upon or added to Civ 5, don't get me wrong, but the improvements they did make on IV are more "mission critical" to my enjoyment, so to speak, than the things it doesn't do as well.

8. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

i think GnK was already better than BTS
    havent played BNW yet..

9. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

G+K was close to Civ4 and BNW is apparently better. Don't forget Civ4 had it's own share of stupid problems that never got fixed; from AI voting for propositions at random to Apostolic Palace easymode win

10. Saint Rising

Saint Rising Metal Monster

All I really miss from Civ IV was the way border expansion worked. I don't like having big amounts of territory that might as well be mine but aren't my color. It's a very... obsessive thing, though. Not a really valid complaint.

Otherwise, I think V is better in almost every way at this point. G&K and BNW really turned this game into a wonderful experience.

11. bobbo008

bobbo008 Pandasaurus

Yup Yup Yup.

If I could have the Revolutions mod (dealing with stability, where dead or NEW civs could rise up in regions if you didn't keep them happy) and have my old airplane abilities (bombard terrain, recon), I'd be in heaven. Heck, I even loved corporations. Oh, and vassals, I want those back more than anything :( Looking at the mini-map, there's no way to tell whats *yours* and what's just under your control.

But I'd be giving too much good stuff to go back...

12. tenkk

tenkk Chieftain

Civ V vanilla was a total abomination.

Civ V + G&K,BNW is a good game.

It took a while.. too long.

OP needs to make a hard call; either uninstall civ v or get all the DLC like the rest of us chumps.

13. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

14. bobbo008

bobbo008 Pandasaurus

15. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

+1. I wasn't sure at first and certainly Civ V vanilla made me think "hmmm" and I stopped playing for a while. Gods and Kings changed all that and now I wouldn't play anything else. Im sure Brave New World will make it even better.

Ive played all the Civs and G&K is the most addictive of the lot - and that's saying something!

16. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Utter freakin' hell. We don't need a thread like this every month.
    People who don't like Civ5 and prefer to play Civ4 should please stay in the Civ4 forums.
    God damnit.
    Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.