1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Firaxis abandoned Civ V?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jblank, Mar 1, 2013.

1. jblank

jblank Chieftain

No information about any future expansions, no DLC since God knows when, have they given up on the game? Anyone heard anything?

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

About a month an a half ago, something slipped out on the Steam database.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=485630

Nothing since then, but you don't let a profitable game series go dead. They are working on something. And the fact that they are saying nothing means that something big is cooking.

3. Vamphaery

Vamphaery Chieftain

I think they're working on something, too. Not just because of the Steam leak (which could conceivably have been accidental and therefore incidental,) but because of their standard "we do not comment on rumors and speculation" response to inquiries.

Contrary to popular belief, most companies do respond to inquiries and do offer something a little less sterile (in my experience at least,) unless they're working on something they don't want to spill yet.

A more typical response if they weren't working on anything would be something along the lines of, "We have no current plans for further announcements at this time. But we appreciate your interest and you can bet you haven't see the last of (insert franchise title here.)"

They only refuse to comment at all when something is actually in the works, or they think it might end up being in the works. (Note to PR people of the world: we've been around, and we're on to you. :p )

But that doesn't necessarily mean it's an expansion to Civ V. It could be a spinoff like Colonization was if indeed the Steam leak was incidental.

4. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

Except Blizzard, who seems to give the same response to every question: "Soon."

But yeah, I'd be surprised if there weren't one more expansion or at least a major patch to Civ V before the next game (even a spinoff) rolls around.

5. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

I figure they are either working on a second Civ V expansion or else Civ VI. (I figure a second Civ V expansion would either come out just in time for Christmas sales or sometime in first half of next year; while Civ VI would be mid 2014 at earliest with 2015 being more likely.) Colonization went over a decade before a remake so I don't see why there would be another re-make this soon.

I suppose SMAC II would also be a possibility, except that EA has the rights to anything with the SMAC name in it so that's not happening as long as Firaxis is part of a different major publisher.
    (A dinosaur game would be more likely than SMAC II at this point.) Other non-civ related possibilities could be more Civil War battles or a sequel to Railroads.

6. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

That'd be awesome if they finally came out with Sid Meier's Dinosaurs. That's been on the shelf waiting to be picked back up for a really long time...

It was over 18 months before Civ5's first expansion came out. The concerns that Civ5 may have been abandoned in spring 2012 were somewhat legitimate, as Civ3 and Civ4 expansions had come quite a bit sooner. But it's only been 8 months or so since then, faster than any Civ expansion has ever come out. They're probably working on it.

Major Civ versions have been in 1991, 1996, 2001, 2005, and 2010. So it is too soon to expect a new version - fall 2014 is the earliest it can be expected.

7. iamdanno

iamdanno Warlord

I would be happy to have a sequel to SMR!

8. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Hopefully. Scrap this already; it's been three years.

9. Civking5

Civking5 Prince

Hopefully another expansion and more dlcs are in the way. The logic that seeks for civ5 faliure is in my opinion flawed. Why a developer risk and support civ6 (at least anytime soon) if the previous game is a big failure?

10. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

It wasn't exactly a commercial failure, but that's not the point.

11. Civking5

Civking5 Prince

I don't see any other point in this particular thread.

12. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

Put me as another person hoping that they simply develop a new game in the series and learn from the mistakes that they made in this one. What makes the Civ series different, and interesting, is that they don't tend to just tweak the formula from one version to the next. Sometimes the changes are good, other times less so. But they usually are pretty good about fixing the largest prior issues. Civ 6 will need more work since the problem is the core "Panzer General" concept. Having tried gigantic armies in one version and no stacking in another, I hope that they can settle on something logical and intermediate in the next.

13. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, SMAC is unfortunately extremely unlikely. Certainly, it's not something that can be worked on in secret because the first step is acquiring the rights to the game. Until that happens, no SMAC, sadly.

14. BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth Chieftain

The World of CivCraft... you heard it here first folks :)

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

The solution to this problem is as easy as changing the name.

'Sid Meiers Epsilon Eridani'.

'Sid Meiers Tau Ceti'.

Etc,...

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I don't know enough about IP law to say if that's viable or not. However, there are many people who want a SMAC sequel, so they want a game that follows the original, but improves it rather than changes enough to avoid a lawsuit.